Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This Is Going A Little Too Well!

Ok. I know there is no such thing as too good, nor am I trying to brag.. Believe it or not, I am a bit worried that something is wrong because nothing seems wrong.. if that makes sense, lol! today is exactly one week post op!

As soon as I got out of surgery, I had almost no pain and was able to walk within 2 hours. Yes, I felt some pain on day 2 after I was released from the hospital, but it was really no worse than a hard day at the gym..

My doc also put me only on one week pre surgery liquid optimist and then put me on Clear liquids ONLY during the one day hospital stay. He put me on pureed foods literally the day I got back and for two weeks.

So, I started reading these forums and, well, I don't seem to hear from anyone who has it like this? My food goes down great. I got a bit of gas/reflux on the first few days, but almost nothing now.. I have no problem ingesting my 64 oz of liquid. I try to sip and not gulp, just in case, but have no issues even gulping if i want to. I get my 60 g of Protein in via one shake in the am and 3 meals throughout the day (pureed tuna/chicken/salmon or greek yogurt).. I can easily eat the full 4 oz in 5 minutes, but take at least 15 or 20 min. I am not hungry and feel great with that, but i see so many complaining about difficulty eating and drinking...

So, why am I worried? I don't know.. Did they really do the surgery right? No, I'm not hungry, but probably wouldn't after any surgery. Am I stretching my stomach by eating the 4 oz in 15 minutes? I did this in the hosptial also and asked my surgeon when he visited me if I can speed up my liquid intake, as the 200ml cups were killing me and it was a chore to take an hour to eat a few ounces of puree (meaning, i can eat it much faster).. I asked the surgeon if i can just eat and drink much faster than the diet calls for, although MUCH slower than I ever have ih my life. He laughed and said sure.. I need to hydrate and if there is no pain, drink the Water as it feels comfortable (ie a half glass at a time(. he said the same about the food!

Can i stretch my stomach with this food? Many of you in here write YES, but the doctors i research say that stretching takes a long time of abuse and won't happen this easily. Many of you say if you eat soft foods this quickly, I am at risk of leakage? The doctor sites and such don't agree with that.. It's the healing and need to go slow, like a baby, but that pureed food on day 2 won't cause any issues. Anyone else agree? I do LOVE this site and this is my first post, but I also know that people like to talk about things that they aren't experts on (like "no... stop eating pureed food or you will cause a leak).

So, love to hear your thoughts and anyone else that has had an easy go. By definition, I think people with troubles tend to post more than people with smooth sailing...... Also, love to hear from anyone who also went on soft foods as quickly as my doc told me to.

Thanks!!!

My doc puts you on puréed day 4 and soft week 2 didn't really eat much week one it now week 6 and no real problems can eat veggies now even tried a little fruit my weightbloss is slow but ok I did have lots of pain ESP incision for 5 weeks now just a little sore at times

Ok. I know there is no such thing as too good' date=' nor am I trying to brag.. Believe it or not, I am a bit worried that something is wrong because nothing seems wrong.. if that makes sense, lol! today is exactly one week post op!

As soon as I got out of surgery, I had almost no pain and was able to walk within 2 hours. Yes, I felt some pain on day 2 after I was released from the hospital, but it was really no worse than a hard day at the gym..

My doc also put me only on one week pre surgery liquid optimist and then put me on Clear Liquids ONLY during the one day hospital stay. He put me on pureed foods literally the day I got back and for two weeks.

So, I started reading these forums and, well, I don't seem to hear from anyone who has it like this? My food goes down great. I got a bit of gas/reflux on the first few days, but almost nothing now.. I have no problem ingesting my 64 oz of liquid. I try to sip and not gulp, just in case, but have no issues even gulping if i want to. I get my 60 g of Protein in via one shake in the am and 3 meals throughout the day (pureed tuna/chicken/salmon or greek yogurt).. I can easily eat the full 4 oz in 5 minutes, but take at least 15 or 20 min. I am not hungry and feel great with that, but i see so many complaining about difficulty eating and drinking...

So, why am I worried? I don't know.. Did they really do the surgery right? No, I'm not hungry, but probably wouldn't after any surgery. Am I stretching my stomach by eating the 4 oz in 15 minutes? I did this in the hosptial also and asked my surgeon when he visited me if I can speed up my liquid intake, as the 200ml cups were killing me and it was a chore to take an hour to eat a few ounces of puree (meaning, i can eat it much faster).. I asked the surgeon if i can just eat and drink much faster than the diet calls for, although MUCH slower than I ever have ih my life. He laughed and said sure.. I need to hydrate and if there is no pain, drink the Water as it feels comfortable (ie a half glass at a time(. he said the same about the food!

Can i stretch my stomach with this food? Many of you in here write YES, but the doctors i research say that stretching takes a long time of abuse and won't happen this easily. Many of you say if you eat soft foods this quickly, I am at risk of leakage? The doctor sites and such don't agree with that.. It's the healing and need to go slow, like a baby, but that pureed food on day 2 won't cause any issues. Anyone else agree? I do LOVE this site and this is my first post, but I also know that people like to talk about things that they aren't experts on (like "no... stop eating pureed food or you will cause a leak).

So, love to hear your thoughts and anyone else that has had an easy go. By definition, I think people with troubles tend to post more than people with smooth sailing...... Also, love to hear from anyone who also went on soft foods as quickly as my doc told me to.

Thanks!!![/quote']

You are doing fine in my opinion. I am 2 months post-op, and my experience is very similar to yours. I was able to get up and walk a few hours after surgery, and the day after surgery was able to stop taking medication for pain completely. My surgeon's partner has done more sleeves than anyone in the U.S. and the two of them assist each other with each surgery. Therefore, my surgeon follows his partners guidelines when doing this surgery. Most surgeons require patients to go from liquids, to mushies, etc. My surgeon had me trying solids the day after surgery. I had eggs for Breakfast, and a few bites of hamburger for lunch, and Soup for supper. As long as you remember to chew the solids a lot, it is fine. I too was worried after reading posts and tinkling I had misunderstood and was eating wrong, or I had damaged my sleeve. So on my first post op visit, I asked a lot of questions, and told my surgeon what I was reading from other people who had been sleeved. He assured me I was doing great, I was not stretching or damaging my sleeve, and yes I had heard him right at the hospital, and I was fine eating solids from the beginning. Every doctor is different in their instructions, but I will say, I have done really well following my doctors guidelines, and have felt great. I am down almost 40 pounds, started exercising and lifting weights 2 weeks after my surgery and no longer worry about why I seem to be doing so well, so soon. I think some people heal more quickly than others. Hope this has helped ease your mind somewhat.

Ok. I know there is no such thing as too good' date=' nor am I trying to brag.. Believe it or not, I am a bit worried that something is wrong because nothing seems wrong.. if that makes sense, lol! today is exactly one week post op!

My doc also put me only on one week pre surgery liquid optimist and then put me on Clear Liquids ONLY during the one day hospital stay. He put me on pureed foods literally the day I got back and for two weeks.

Thanks!!![/quote']

What I hv noticed is that Every doctor is diff & so are their instructions. I never had a puree stage. I did not eat or drink until abt 5 pm on wednesday (had surgery on a monday). They gave me Jello in the hospital. For two weeks i was to be on liquids tht included: light yogurt, broth, sf popsicles, Jello & from there trying foods like mash pot, ect.

Just because one doctor tells their pt to do one thing & another something else doesnt mean one is wrong & the other right. Its all in the doctors prefrences.

Im glad you're doing so good. Thats a huge blessing!

I had surgery on 19th sept, I've had a great time :) 2 days in hospital up the Same day. Very little pain except from largest cut when i cough/sneeze/or laugh. Half hour walk everyday since I've been home. Im Following the Docs plan of 2 weeks fluids. I go back to see him on the 3rd oct, then will follow whatever he says. LOVE not feeling hungry or full. down 10kg. Hope this lasts :)

I'm 3 days out and got 80 grams of Protein and 64 oz of fluids in o.0. I have gas pain but that's about it. 2oz of beef broth and through out the day 4oz of sugar free pudding. The protein came from the Isopure in the glass bottles.< /p>

Check this out. It was my first post to this forum. 4months ago I had the same fears you do. Now here I am 84lbs lighter & still losing.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/40235-is-this-too-easy/

I agree this has been easy and i keep waiting for the ball to drop

Actually I think the majority of sleevers are like you (us). I felt great and had no trouble going through the different dietary stages until I was able eat regular food. I'm about 18 months out now. I sometimes have a problem when I overfill, but that is the only time and it is usually my fault. I think it seems like a lot of people have problems because they are the ones who post with questions and seeking advise. Sit back and enjoy the ride of your life!!! Kathe

Actually I think the majority of sleevers are like you (us). I felt great and had no trouble going through the different dietary stages until I was able eat regular food. I'm about 18 months out now. I sometimes have a problem when I overfill' date=' but that is the only time and it is usually my fault. I think it seems like a lot of people have problems because they are the ones who post with questions and seeking advise. Sit back and enjoy the ride of your life!!! Kathe[/quote']

Kathe- do you still need to eat super slowly? I'm almost 2 months out and I realized today that i'm eating faster. I'm not overfilling bcs i measure and underfill my plate.

Thanks!!

Thats my problem i still eat too fast. Its so hard but im trying.

Thats my problem i still eat too fast. Its so hard but im trying.

I wouldn't say that i'm eating TOO fast. Just faster. It now takes me 30 minutes to eat instead of an hour. :). It's kinda nice. I just wondered if when veterans eat too fast, but don't overeat, if their tummy is ok.

Thanks, so much, all! What I have learned is that this site is no different than Amazon.com and human nature.. When people buy a great product there, they don't say "wow, this is great, let me go online and tell everyone I like it".. When they are upset they say "I need to tell the world".. So, we hear on here, the people who have issues. NOT suggesting they are complainers, just that these are the ones who didn't have the easy ride.. I can't tell you how much you guys helped with these replies. Now I'm no longer scared, but thrilled. I had my 2 week post op yesterday and they dispelled the many myths on here.. People are funny with how they become doctor's and give advice/comments that are all false (Ie i was told if don't stay on liquid, stuff will get stuck in my staples, lol)_....

I am on pretty much anything I want to eat now... Had a frozen spicy kashi dinner, even with the brown rice and had no issues..... They let me go on caffeine.. They don't want u to in case it's a stimulant for appetite, but i'm a big boy.. They ok me to drink on my dates.. They don't want you to because they are empty calories...

Anywho.. Loving this.. I started low. I was a 35 BMI'er with sleep apnea and diabetes, so got approved.. 260 pounds.. Now down to 235 and, well, really too fun! Went shopping yesterday and bought everything healthy. steaks. chops. chicken, hummus, veggies.. Anyway, The ride remains great!!!

Neilsleeve- May I ask what your doctor told you regarding the myths? I am 6 weeks post op and still on full liquids. I've heard things like I could split my sleeve if I move to soft foods too quickly. I see you are eating unrestricted. I'm curious to hear your docs take on things.

Yes, Doctor Dan Davis in Stamford and Dr Adam Glassberg of Boston area... When you say "You are hearing", do you mean from the docs mouth or from this site? MUCH of the medical advice on here just isn't right, i'm afraid.. My bariatric surgeon friend told me that the docs need to be careful and wan t tell patients what to do to avoid ANY issues or pain.. You cannot split the sleeve. I have confirmed this and both my friend and my surgeon laughed when I noted it. you can SPLIT it if you try to see how much food you can take and way overeat. So, they don't want that! The risks are in the food not being tolerated and you puking, etc... Re soft foods, my doc has found that the longer the patients get used to liquid, the more difficulty they have transitioning.. He has almost no issues ever and there are many like him.. I'm waling proof.. What they both secretly shared, is that they want you to build your good habits now and they want you to see advanced weight loss, so you lose much more on liquid diet than you will when you go to more calories on a pureed diet. .I kept my intake to between 800-900 cal and lost as much as liquid folk, but got to eat!! I just posted a big story on the myths.. Read it here http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/54141-my-suggestion-stop-the-obsessing-rules-are-meant-to-be-broken/

Hope that helps