Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just informed my employer that I was going to be out for 4 weeks. Boss says well if you can go to school then why can't you come to work mind you I go to school a total of 8 hours per week. Then says well I wish I could talk u out of it because I never knew anyone that had it and didn't have problems. I'm so upset! I'm a charge nurse of a sub acute floor in a nursing home. How ridiculous! Just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening

well now, isn't the boss an encouraging person. DO NOT listen to the negitivity. the facts I have uncovered are that the sleeve has a much lower ratio of problems. A must quicker recov time. most likely no dumping syndrome. so on and so on. I like your web name, you just remember that phrase and take care of your self and listen to your doctor, do what he/she tells you, YOUAREWORTHIT! You'll be fine and I and I'm sure the others will all be rooting for you.

This is going to be good for you, dont let the bosses negativity discourage you. only a little over two weeks til your surgey which is so exciting!!! Best of luck to you :)

You may only need two (maybe three) weeks off from work. Depending on what you do at your nurse job, if there is lifting, etc.

I am a stay at home mom and it's been about 11 days since my surgery and this is my first day without helpers with me. I can't lift my son and really have to rest alot.

I wouldn't be concerned with your bosses negatively. I had family members that weren't supportive until they saw I was going to d it with or without their support. I only know one person that had a bad outcome and it was her own fault. She lost all the weight and then decided to eat the way she used to and re-stretched her stomach out so she is back to her old size. From what it seems, this is actually not very common. It'll stretch out a little over time, which is understandable but it takes you really not caring anymore to go backwards that much.

Does your job have FMLA? Please don't call that person a boss. They're just someone that was placed in a leadership position, but lacking the leadership qualities necessary to be effective. That negative response you received was pure ignorance. If any one of my staff told me they would be out to have surgery for any kind of health issue, my concern would be for their safe and speedy recovery. Sure, you're absence might cause an increased workload for others temporarily, but, you'll be healthier and a more productive employee in the end. I'm sorry for ranting and raving, but I'm so sick and tired of managers/supervisors treating their staff with such a lack of civility or compassion, it makes me sick!!! Take care of yourself and I wish you the best, very best of luck!!! Let us know when you get on the loser's bench:)

I am going to apply for temporary disability. I have two weeks of pto I will be using first. At least I think that's how it works! Thanks guys going into this I knew there was gonna be less supportive people on this journey! Just lucky to have you all as my support system;)

If your boss is a jerk there is nothing you can do to change that however as nurses, we both know that even a week off, they will start bitching. Granted my bosses are caring people and I am a charge nurse on a sub acute unit as well, I went back to work after three days. It was okay for me, everyone is different . Hopefully, you can use your pto! If not, just do paperwork

I was thinking I may be able to go back after 2 weeks but wanted them to be prepared for the worst case scenario!!

That is ridiculous. With this surgery you will encounter some not so nice people... They just dont get it.

If your boss is a jerk there is nothing you can do to change that however as nurses' date=' we both know that even a week off, they will start bitching. Granted my bosses are caring people and I am a charge nurse on a sub acute unit as well, I went back to work after three days. It was okay for me, everyone is different . Hopefully, you can use your pto! If not, just do paperwork[/quote']

Wow, being a charge nurse must be a nice gig in sub acute care, because in critical care, charge nurses have to take patients too. Now, I'm considering sub acute care, just kidding. If they'll let you sit and chart while you recover, sounds good to me.

In a sub acute unit you got more patients as opposed to critical care! In this environment you got more stable patients. Our job is not easy but way better than critical care if I must say! If nothing went wrong, I firmly believe she can do it! Just my opinion

In a sub acute unit you got more patients as opposed to critical care! In this environment you got more stable patients. Our job is not easy but way better than critical care if I must say! If nothing went wrong' date=' I firmly believe she can do it! Just my opinion[/quote']

Thanks all I run a 36 patient unit! But I have two nurses that are responsible for Meds it's just care plans, assessments, and blue folder( incident reports) for me plus any issues on the floor and there are plenty!! I'm happy to hear I may be able to return sooner!! Praying all goes well:)

If everything goes well, all you might actually need is a week! You can do it, think positive and you can snooze in between paperwork lol

I just informed my employer that I was going to be out for 4 weeks. Boss says well if you can go to school then why can't you come to work mind you I go to school a total of 8 hours per week. Then says well I wish I could talk u out of it because I never knew anyone that had it and didn't have problems. I'm so upset! I'm a charge nurse of a sub acute floor in a nursing home. How ridiculous! Just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening

I'm also a nurse, work in both extended and complex care and I'm taking 6 weeks off. U don't need to do any heavy lifting or pushing at school..where as at work, u might. What would happen if a patient fell and u had to assess? Or if someone needed CPR and they were on the ground? Ur body can't bend like that so fast after surgery. Also I don't know about u, but where I work our med carts prob way 100lbs and there is no way I'm pushing/pulling that thing around until 6 weeks after. If ur doctor has given u a note saying 4 weeks off then it's ur employers responsibility to cover u. What u do outside of work isn't any of his/her business :)

I am so afraid to tell my boss that I need time off. I'm convincing myself to only take 2 weeks when I know I may need 4 smh. My surgery date will be scheduled for late October early November and I still haven't said a word to my boss smh....