Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Crazy? My Taste And Sense Of Smell Has Changed...

I have been wondering if this is just me, I do not believe it is. If not, then why do these things happen? I think I have seen a reply here or there about this, but can someone please explain...

I feel like my sense of smell has been heightened since surgery. I feel like my sense of smell is stronger and some things don't smell the same. Also, I feel like my taste buds are different, why would having sleeve surgery alter my taste? I used to eat things that I did not like before and things I used to like are not so good.

These are not drastic changes, but I defiantly notice them.

It's perfectly normal and has affected, I would guess, the majority of the people here. I have no idea why. If you have lost your taste for things that you shouldn't be eating, take the victory I say.

Yep, it happened to me, too. Amazing. Some things that used to taste wonderful I cannot even imagine eating. Can't really say I have acquired a taste for anything new, though. No coffee anymore--- just don't want it. Don't know why..........

Happened to me too. I'm beginning to wonder if the hormone ghrelin might have something to do with it. With the removal of roughly 85% of our stomachs, perhaps the drop in ghrelin alters the way our body interprets smells and tastes. (I'm going to do some digging, and see if I can find an answer.)

Not just you. Lots of things, especially liquids, taste different now. I guess it's a good thing in a way, for me. I used to love,love,love sweet tea, chocolate milk, OJ, things that had a ton of empty calories. Now, i could care less.

Has had the same effect on me as well. I would love to know what causes it

I am so curious about this. I wonder if the ghrelin has something to do with it. I guess most of my changes in taste are for the better, but still a mystery.

I haven't noticed any change of taste or smell, but just the thought of any more cream Soup makes me gag. I had cream soup everyday through my 10 day preop diet and I was really loving it. The whole time I was thinking "why wasn't I eating this stuff all along?" Now when I walk by the pantry and see it sitting there, I get the shivers....nasty.

@Scorpio59, great article!

Good little article, although it mentions more of things tasting BAD after surgery, I noticed my tastes just changes and things tasted a lot better. Someone who had WLS once told me it was just like after they quit smoking years vefore, things just had a LOT more taste.

i HARDLY ever salt anything anymore where I used to just load up everything with it. I used to like spicy food and now I LOVE it. So I wonder if it's not a CAHNGE in taste but a RESTORATION of taste since we are not overloading our pallets with masses of food now.

Happened to me for sure. Sweet flavors (like sugar free PowerAde) taste TERRIBLE to me now. And my sense of smell is super-heightened. It's strange!

Hoping my dislike of sweets lasts forever! My nutritionist said it is common, but not usually permanent.

Great article, thanks for sharing! I guess the not being able to tollerate sweets as much is a good thing. There are just a lot of changes my body is going through that I need to get used to. Thanks everyone.

Definitely noticed my sense of smell heightened. Also visual things that used to not gross me out turn my stomach now.