Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused And Questioning.

Had surgery Monday Aug 27th, so 6 days out going on 7. I feel confused, overwhelmed, scared, and alone. I have all these people around me and I feel like they don't have a clue. I've tried to follow every instruction given. I walked as soon as they wheeled me in the room, even went to the bathroom(sorry to be so graphic). I never took any of my pain or nausea meds opted for Tylenol instead. I feel like I don't know if I'm coming or going. I seem to be depressed. Found this out as I was driving home last night and my eyes just started flooding with tears out of no where. For some reason I cant handle the powder drinks. I tried one initially and couldn't keep it down the thought of it to this day makes me nauseous. So for the 1st 4 days I had no Protein could only stomach about one 16 oz bottled Water and it took me all day to drink it. I went to Wal Mart yesterday and they had this protein shot, 3 ounces and I thought I would try that. It had 48 grams of protein and seemed like a good idea. The taste was disgusting but i got half down. Today I mixed it with my bottled water and added a sf Hawaiian punch drink powder to mask it and that worked. I just don't know if its ok to get protein that way. I read and Google trying to find out. Most of what I see indicates I need to have a defined period which is a meal where I consume the protein. I am so confused because I cant stomach the protein mix. I need it diluted and it works better for me to drink it with the water. Does anyone know if it's ok to take in your protein slowly throughout the day? Honestly my meal schedule consists of maybe half a cup sf pudding for Breakfast, water(with protein), sf Jello lunch, same water, start a 2nd drink for dinner. Am I doing ok? Somebody help!!!!

It is absolutely OK to get your Protein over the course of the day. There's no rule saying you have to shotgun it straight down. If you need to, try mixing your protein in a little Water then mixing it with some low fat yogurt, or possibly sugar free pudding. I had to do that a couple times during my liquid stage to get my protein in.

another thing you might try which I really like and still do daily is chocolate flavored Protein mix in my Decaf coffee. add in a half teaspoon of hazelnut Creamer and it's even better!

Thanks I'm willing to try anything. As of now I can get about two 16 oz bottled waters down each day. I worry I'm hurting myself on the nutrition side. Take 2 chewable multis a day.

Don't get discouraged! I had complications and I did not have any nutrition for 2 weeks after surgery, even when I was at the hospital. Although it isn't the way to go- it ended up being okay. I would focus on keeping yourself hydrated. I know a lot of people on here don't like Isopure for a Protein Drink, but I get the grape kind (already mixed) and then I put it in a regular water bottle. This way I don't smell it before it hits my mouth, because I cannot stand the smell of the powders! Hang in there & good luck!

Thanks I'm willing to try anything. As of now I can get about two 16 oz bottled waters down each day. I worry I'm hurting myself on the nutrition side. Take 2 chewable multis a day.

I'm hitting week 3 and I'm still struggling. Not only with the liquids and Protein, but with my emotions as well. I take the Protein bullets and mix it with crystal light for the whole day. I have to keep it chilled though. I still can't stomach a Protein shake by itself. At week two I mixed my Protein Shake with low fat milk, half a banana, a small amount of oatmeal and 1/4 cup of chopped almonds. Then i blended it with ice. That made it so much better. I am doing better than I did at the end of my first week, but it's still a struggle. If your depression keeps hounding you, don't hesitate to call your surgeon. Mine gave me a temporary solution just to get me through these first few weeks. I'm so glad I told him what I was feeling, because I don't know how I would be if I didn't! Good luck to you!

The feelings of being overwhelmed, all of your feelings really, are normal. You are not alone, keep visiting the forum and search the archives. It will help keep you sane during these trying times.

I was not able to tolerate Protein drinks just after surgery and for the most part still cannot six weeks out. Right now concentrate on liquids, hydration is very important. Just take it easy and keep sipping!

Thanks everybody.

Absolutely normal. I've been overwhelmed most days since surgery on Thursday. Just hits me. So let it out, cry if you need to, hopefully it will make you feel much better :).

I couldn't handle the powders either. I found that I can easily drink the premade EAS Myloplex shakes.

Good luck!

I'm not a fan of the Protein shots. Not only do they smell like a wet dog, they are not usually composed of a really quality Protein, such as whey protein isolate, which should be the first ingredient. Unjury's chicken Soup and their chocolate flavors work for me. The quality of your protein really matters. It took me about 7 days until I was able to get in either protein or Fluid goals, and I even made a trip to the ER on day 6 due to acid reflux and spasms. They gave me an IV of fluids, which helped a bunch. I did feel a bit weepy that day. Other things that work for me include adding a bit of apple juice and ice to my Water.

Do you have a decent bariatric surgery cookbook? I like Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery, which was recommended to me by a friend who is two years beyond her sleeve surgery. We made the chicken and mushroom Soup yesterday and used ice cube trays to freeze 1 oz portions. We pureed the heck out of it and it is very nice - 26 g of protein per 1 cup serving. I only had half a cup, but it is a start.

Each day gets a bit better. Go slow. You may need more time on liquids. Everyone is different.

The first 30 days are the hardest but it gets easier every day as your body heals and adjusts. Try drinking Premiere Protein Shake. The chocolate flavor is pretty good. Also look up blossom foods and buy some puréed meals. They are high Protein low calorie and just enough to fill you up. Feel free to read my blog to get a sense of what to expect. We have all been where you are. Drop me a note if you need more support.

Try different Protein drinks - I lived on the premade Premiere Protein chocolate bought at costco. I can't drink them now, but they were a lifesaver the first few months post op! Drink slowly. Don't worry about anything but fluids and protein. sip sip... tiny sips all day long. If you get dehydrated, go get an IV to get rehydrated.

Be patient with yourself, take it easy. Recognize that you had a big shock to the system, and your former "friend" food is not currently available to give you comfort. As you start to lose weight, hormones will release which may make you even more emotional. Your reaction is normal - many people go through this sorta weird feeling for awhile. I experienced it as an emptiness inside.

To add insult to injury as the saying goes, nobody even noticed my weight loss for months. So, I was a little sad, alot tired and still fat.... I never regretted the surgery because I had read enough on the forums here to know it was normal, and I just needed to get through it - and i did.

Look at me now with 100# off!!! It is so worth it. I am finally living the life I want and you will be too. Hang in there - and keep your eye on the prize. You will feel better over time and you will be thrilled with your results.