Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

My final straw- I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I can't stand the CPAP. I had been thinking about gastric sleeve surgery for over a year. I started my 6 month pre op diet/ exercise program that is required by my insurance in March. I should be able to have my surgery in September. I'm 54 and ready to be healthy and active. My surgeon believes my sleep apnea will resolve once I get to a normal BMI. I am at 42 right now. I am so excited and look forward to sharing my journey!

My final straw- I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I can't stand the CPAP. I had been thinking about gastric sleeve surgery for over a year. I started my 6 month pre op diet/ exercise program that is required by my insurance in March. I should be able to have my surgery in September. I'm 54 and ready to be healthy and active. My surgeon believes my sleep apnea will resolve once I get to a normal BMI. I am at 42 right now. I am so excited and look forward to sharing my journey!

I dealt with that thing for almost 4 years, a month after surgery I kicked it to the curb and sleeping like a baby ever since. You can do it!

I have a niece that just had gastric bypass and she looks and feels wonderful. On the other hand I have a cousin who is in her 60's that has gained some of the weight back but she also had lots of health issues by the time she was able to get the surgery. I decided I want to do this before I am to old or in too much pain to fully enjoy it. Another thing is my 11 year old daughter is very overweight and I hope this keeps me on track to help her.

I was turning 50 years old, the same age my father had a severe heart attack and we almost lost him; he was obese too.

I no longer wanted to feel tired all the time, having low stamina, aches and pains, sleep apnea, higher blood pressure, type-2 diabetes, high cholesterol, a lower self esteem, etc..

Most importantly is what would happen to my family if I am no longer here to provide for them and nurture them and watch them grow as adults.

The only thing worse would be having a life debilitating disease that they would have to take care of me.

I wanted to live a longer, healthier, happier and better quality life.

That will happen now that I had my VSG surgery and am on my weight loss journey.

I only need to eat to live, not live to eat.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

When i was walking to the doctor's office (about 1000 ft away) and my then 17 year old had to come and get me cause I could not take another step. My oldest and then my youngest (15 at the time) walked me hand in hand to the office. It took 45 minutes.

My knees and back could not hold my weight anymore. I was always thin. Then in 2008 I put on 100 pounds.

That day my boys had to help me walk. I dais to myelf NEVER AGAIN.

I wa gonna have the lapl band. But after some research I went with the gastric bypass. Good luck to ALL

When the doctor prescribed yet another medication.

I want to be able to keep up with my husband, and meet my future grandchildren.

I want a better sex life.

Sick of seeing myself in the mirror getting fatter and fatter and nothing I did seemed to work long term.

...when I do the "old man" waddle when I first stand up and walk....

...when my joints sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies and firecrackers...

...when I have to pee by Braille because my stomach removes all hope of visual reference...

...when my 4-year-old asks if I'm pregnant "like Mommy was"...

...when I get lightheaded if I take too long to bend over to pick up my 1-year-old daughter...

...when I can't sit on the floor and play with my girls without it feeling like my hips are being dislocated..

...when my snoring and sleep apnea forced me to sleep in the guest room so I don't wake up my wife...

#1 - when sex becomes more work than pleasure.

Edited by Rhodes

My final straw was the size of my head!! Yup my face chin and neck grew!!! The hole shape of my face/head has changed since I hit the 200 mark! I don't want a big giant head! Lol there are other reasons like knee pain high blood pressure working out is harder etc.... But really my head is the worst for me

Edited by alindsey

@ LisaPunkinHead

Hi Lisa,

First off, congrats on taking your life back into your own hands!

I'm with Kaiser down here in SoCal. I've got my first Doctor's visit this Thursday (April 23rd).

While on the phone with the Health Education person to make my doctors appointment he said it was a 12-week program before you could schedule surgery.

I was reading your comments, and it sounds like you didn't have to wait that long. Am I reading your post right?

Thanks!

Seeing 300 on the scale.

Going to a birthday party with my 7-year-old daughter for one of her friends and the activity was hiking up a moderate/difficult trail. 3 minutes in I felt like I was going to pass out but I was trying to keep on trucking like it was no big deal. The kids were all running ahead, the other moms were just walking along and chatting away, and I was just focusing on trying not to sound like I was huffing and puffing and two steps away from dying. It was the worst.

@@MrsRoboto oh, ouch :o( Been there, done that - except I was walking across a university campus from where my daughter was performing in the marching band. It was her "senior night" and hubby and I schlepped clear across campus from parking lot, to the stadium, me resting frequently. Once we got there, I realized there was no way in h*ll I would be able to make it up the steep stairs of the stadium (I thought there was a lower-place seating area for band parents; there was not). So I sent hubby on up and I turned around and huffed and puffed back to the car, stopping every 20 feet or so to rest. I stopped at a cafe to get some Water and then sat down and chugged two bottles pretending I was looking around and enjoying the view. In reality, I really thought it was quite possible I would pass out from walking so far while weighing nearly 400 lbs. And then, to not see my daughter's senior performance was HORRIBLE - I cried all the way home.

I love reading everyone's final straw....it's keeping me going.

This girl is 1 Nutrition class, psych appt. Cadiologist clearance and chest xray away...hopefully by the end of June.

So excited!!

My final straw was a long time building up-I was plump at 5'5 and around 200 pounds in college. During college I lost my mom at 53 due to a heart attack. She was almost 300 pounds and 5'3. I decided to try to get back into shape-made it to 160 pounds, gained it all back and then some a year after my wedding due to foot surgery (prevented me from walking too far for about a year. I am now quite unhappy with my 280 pound frame. I see pictures of myself and I don't recognize me. I was diagnosed with PCOS and I am doing this weight loss surgery because I want to be able to have children and and someday be around to be a grandmother, (my mom wasn't around to see that happen). I am 31 years old and just about to be put on the surgical waiting list (wait is about a month)

I am 56 yr old male. Been big all my life, but active. Sadly, my back has issues and now both of my knees require full replacement. Ortho Surgeon for knee replacement warned me that with BMI of 50+, that really increased risks. So, had to reduce weight, but can't really do anything. I am sedentary 99.5% of every day.

Recently, diagnosed with a heartbeat arrhythmia as well as enlarged heart. Was told by Cardiologist that I have taken 10+ years off my life, if I dont get my weight under control.

When rationally thinking about my behaviors, I am a poster child for bad eating:

1 - Eating high carb meals, high fat meals, no veggies

2 - Eating big meals often

3 - Big bites

4 - Eating Fast

5 - Constantly Drinking when eating

6 - Always having desert

7 - Constantly snacking

8 - Eating late at night

When I learned about VSG knew it was for me. I have the mental strength to stop the bad habits - cuz I don't want to die. But, need a huge jump start.

I instantly made the decision and less than 4 weeks had the procedure. Marveled to have lost ~ 30 lbs just from the 2 week liquid diet before surgery.

-RC-

Edited by RaginCajun

I had a baby this past year and with my weight, this (my 2nd pregnancy) was ridiculously hard. I almost couldn't walk by the end of it. I had to have physical therapy on my hip while I was pregnant and now I'm having physical therapy on my back. I gained 40 pounds (I had lost 47 pounds prior to getting pregnant) and my sleep apnea came back. I'm exhausted EVERY SINGLE DAY. I hurt EVERY SINGLE DAY. I can't run with my kids. My pants won't stay up over my big stomach...people think I'm pregnant. I'm just starting the process because I can NOT do this anymore.