Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"all Things In Moderation"?

When do you think this philosophy starts? I've heard some people say "never" and others that have said "as soon as you're on real food". What's your opinion? I think that once you're fully healed and on solid foods, this is great philosophy. For me, this was a way to live a normal life and have a normal relationship with food, NOT to have to think about Protein and carbs all day, every day. That just feeds my obsession (and why I failed at programs like Weight Watchers). I just don't want to have to think about it. I want to be able to eat a sandwich, if I want a sandwich. A salad, if I want a salad. Or even a piece of pizza or a bit of hamburger, if I want that. The point, for me, is to be able to say "I'm full" and stop eating after one piece of pizza or 1/4 of a burger.

What are your opinions?

I would love to believe that I could enjoy all things in moderation but I am one of a few sleeve patients that has dumping syndrome. This makes me very scared to even think about trying new things

I am pre-op, but based on reading I've done since February, I'd say everything in moderation AFTER you've reached your goal. Otherwise, you may lose a lot slower than you'd like, and there is a window of opportunity here that will be gone in 12-18 months. Good luck!

I disagree with you. I knew that if I started eating everything in moderation, I would not get to goal, and I wanted to get to goal more than I wanted the food I was missing. I think sticking to Protein first with very few carbs and no sweets helped my weight loss occur more quickly. NOW, at goal, I eat anything I want in moderation. I think that 8 months of no sweets kind of cured my dessert cravings so now it is much easier to have a small portion and not want to devour the whole cake. JMO...

I'm going to agree with ShapeShifter here. When you are tracking, you start to see the impact of your diet on your weight loss, along with other things like your nutritional status once you have your labs done, hair loss, energy levels, etc.

If my carbs are too high, I stop losing, even though my calories might be low. Regardless of the mechanics of my body - I can see it in black and white. Reduce the carbs, lose weight. I've gotten out of every plateau the same way, even if I increase my calories.

I love many of my old favorite foods and find ways to incorporate them into my new little sleeve life. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. But yes, everything in moderation.

When I hit my goal, I will consider adding those items that hindered me from my initial weight loss. Time goes so fast too....it's worth the discipline for ME.

Absolutely, I'm not saying to eat like that EVERY DAY of course, that would be just silly. This is just an every once in a while scenario (thus MODERATION). Of course, the majority of the time you SHOULD eat right - eating junk all the time is what got us all here in the first place.

As my NUT said at a meeting, Watch totally what you eat with no treats or hardly any until you reach goal. Then you can figure out what your body will tolerate without gaining weight. Jeeni you just started your journey, don't sabotage yourself right at the beginning. I'm pre-op so I don't know what you are going through but I hope I can refrain from eating all the things that got me hear in the first place, bacause it is not a good place.

I have a friend who had sleeve surgery a little over 2 years ago. She took on an "all things in moderation" point of view after she hit about a year out. She regrets that decision now because she is starting to see weight gain. Seeing her go through all these different phases in front of me, has let me learn from her mistakes. I'm not saying I'm going to eat like an angel forever, I'll have a bite of my own birthday cake, but I'm not going to allow myself to eat just anything. I don't want sweets right now, the idea of eating them kinda disgusts me, which is weird because I used to be the cupcake queen! For me personally, I really wanted sleeve surgery to be the tool that helped change me. From the inside out, I want food to be fuel, not food to be comfort or reward. I don't want this surgery, and struggling I'm doing now in the beginning to be in vain. Its just so easy for us to start out with good intentions, of all things in moderation to turn into self-sabotage because its so very easy to fall back to the way we mentally were before.

Just my two cents. :)

"All things in moderation" was someting I adapted to when I had my lapband. The eating archetypes, for lack of a better phrase, allplied to that procedure as well. If I had wanted to never eat sugar again, I'd have thought harder about RNY, but I knew I wanted the freedom to where - if I want a scoop of ice cream, I can have a scoop of ice cream. I don't mind having to augment with a little bit of my own will power.

That philosophy really sunk in about 2 years after having my band, and honestly - it was bitter-sweet. There were some things I was glad I could still enjoy. And there were some things I wished I had never tried, because now that I knew I could have them, it was hard to turn them down. Though it's a little different with the band. There are entire levels of the food pyramid that are "sliders" with the band. And anything that can clear that stoma is free game for your (still very stretchable) stomach.

I tend to take that approach now, though I'm trying to straight up avoid "trigger" foods for me. I still have 100 lbs to lose and don't feel like I have much business eating certain things that I know I do not moderate well (like Reese's) until I'm a little closer to goal, or at least out of my honeymoon phase. :) I find healthier substitutes to manage cravings (like organic catural Peanut Butter minus the chocolate).

Thanks everyone for the replies, there certainly is much to think about isn't there?

I will not go back to the unhealthy food period. I have pretty much changed my eating habits. I don't do white flour, sugar, overly processed or packaged/canned foods, white Pasta or rice, fast food, breaded deep fried food, chips, full fat dressings or sour cream or any other full fat dairy except for cheese in very small amounts.

I will occasionally have potato - not fried.

I have found substitutes for everything. I make my own Protein, sugar free ice cream and other Desserts, I use non-fat Greek yogurt instead of mayo, dressing or sour cream (you can add blue cheese and herbs and spices to it).

I weigh and measure everything. I log everything I eat. It suits me fine.

I do have a tiny, tiny bit of 70-80% dark chocolate every night or every other night. I heard it's good for you and I can't/won't eat more than a tiny square.

JenniJune, you should read Geneen Roth's Feeding the Hungry Heart. It is exactly about what you are talking about...that deprivation leads to more problems. It was a good read!

I guess my thought on this is that, before straying too far from a strict high-protein, low-carb, low-fat post-op diet, I would seriously consider whether or not I am able to eat "in moderation." For many (most??) of us, the concept of "moderation" has been foreign to us...obviously, or we wouldn't need to have 80% of our stomachs removed...right?? I recognize that I struggle with moderation...so I'm staying as far away from the concept (of eating anything "in moderation") as possible. Best of luck to you!

I have things that I want or crave but I never ever eat over 700 calories a day. So if I have a cookie I know I have to go burn it off. And I only have treats like that after I am positive I can/have gotten in all my Protein for the day.

Thanks everyone for the replies, there certainly is much to think about isn't there?

I can only speak for myself but I made goal with this philosophy. I do focus on protien and veggies but if I want a treat or want what my bf is eating I have a little.