Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Monday....(Long). Thanks For Any Support.

I know have help from Angels, a great hospital/staff, SURGEON and friends/family.

There will be some pain... it's the not knowing HOW. At this point I'm so looking forward to a week from now. Haha..I almost feel like the "buyer's remorse" stage was passed in the last week- before even having it. I mourned it all (the food)... and then got back to- well, someday most things I could have a bite of if I choose. Hopefully I will choose not to. I'm not doing this as another diet. The liquid diet has taught me to appreciate how I didn't really enjoy simply tasting each bite of good food in the past and I hope to savor anything when I can eat later.

But, right this moment, having read so many different situations I'm getting a little scared again.

I was so comforted with this one thread about people who had relatively no problems with pain or complications.

Then I read a few posts recently about how horrible it is.

Since I'm having the VSG, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal and liver biopsy I wonder if I'll have worse problems?

Is it really all in your mind? Pain is pain-- how can that be in your mind? I guess saying I'll get through and praying might help the pain. I've gone through a number of very painful things in my life so I know I'll get through it but it's the waiting....which one will I be? Will I be the vomiter....the screaming out in pain one, the person who blows IV's and I'm too dehydrated to get stuck.. Will all the nurses take good care of me?

You don't know what will happen.

I've learned this.

In life, with every situation, when you don't know the outcome, you simply have to have faith, trust that everything will be as it should.

I do know I'll come out on the other end and I'm meant to live not just in a smaller, healthy body but with a knowledge that I'm here for a purpose-- not to waste away on a couch eating and watching reality shows.

And now, please say your surgery wasn't that bad. Please. ;)

This post was right on mark....the exact same thoughts that have been running through my mind.

My surgery is on Tuesday....please feel free to send me a personal message and we can stay in touch during our post-op recovery.

This site has been a great source of comfort, information..you name it. Everyone has their own personal journey but it is nice to have others to discuss things with.

Wishing you the very best with your surgery and a speedy recovery.

I think our recovery is dependent on many variables: our physical and mental preparation, our pre op diet and it's reaction to our bodies, the skill of our surgeon and other medical personnel, etc. Having said that I can tell you I had pain. But I also had that lovely IV for pain meds. And when I didn't really feel good, I asked for more. I felt there was no reason to feel bad and not be able to walk and heal. So I walked quite a bit and healed well. I had great nurses at Forest Park but I had a nursing tech named Shalene who just completely LOVED on me. She made sure I had everything I needed all night long including making my bed everytime I got out of it.I made sure my patient advocate had her name and a great write up. So yes, put your trust and faith in a good outcome. A positive attitude draws positive results. Lift your chin and march in with a smile and complete excitement. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

G.

Thanks Giselle!

The pain WAS NOT bad at all. The first week was a little rough, just not feeling great... But now, at 3 weeks out, it's much better and I think I I am so glad I did it. You can handle anything for a couple of days, right?

Yes. I can. That's what I've been saying to myself. That's awesome that your pain wasn't tat bad.

Well, I can handle anything except this darned internet going in and out. Hubby was just on the phone with our provider and he's on his way to Best Buy for a new router. Does it never fail these things happen when we need them most? :D

As someone who had the surgery at the same hospital as you, let me tell you, you will be in excellent hands. My pain was not bad at all. I did get nauseous and was given something everytime I asked. When I realized it was the pain meds making me nauseous, I refused them, and haven't been in pain since (that was day 1). I also had the hernia repair. No problems with that either.

The nurses at Abington are AWESOME. My cycle started the morning of my surgery. Pre-surgery they gave me the mesh panties with the 6 inch thick pad. When I woke up I had a catheter, and no pad. All I could think was that I was laying in that mess and I was so uncomfortable. The nurse came in with more lovely mesh panties and helped into them with the pad. She didn't have to do that, but she wanted to make sure I was comfortable. And the CA who came to check my vitals every hour was sweet as pie. Yes, she woke me up every hour on the hour, but she tried to disturb me as least as possible. She worked a double my first day/night there, went home in the morning and was back on afternoon shift, just as cheerful as she could be.

The broth they give you smells like death warmed over so I stayed far away from that. Lol but I did drink the fruit2O, Water, and ate a bit of the Jello. They will also give you lemon swabs for your dry mouth until you can drink.

The nurses walked with me when I needed them to. They always checked on me. And there was someone at the desk that monitored my pulse/ox machine and came in whenever it was off/low. Turns out mine was defective and kept giving false readings, but I felt better knowing that she was monitoring me. Once they replaced my machine she still came by every so often to say hi. The staff cheered me on during my hall walks. Very supportive.

Be sure to take your cell phone. You can use it and they charge you $10/day to use their phone. I was worried about my family and the nurse even let me use her cell phone until I got mine. They also charge $10/day for the tv. I didn't use that because when I wasn't sleeping or walking, I was on my iPad. Free Internet access.

Please ask me any questions I didn't answer. I'll be cheering you on...

Sent from my iPad using VST

If things are set up for you at all like they were for me, you shouldn't have to worry about pain. I was on morphine for the first day and a quarter, and basically told me to push the button whenever I needed to. I don't remember much of the first day! I had to stay in the hospital longer than I'd hoped, because they wouldn't release me until I'd passed gas - have to make sure all the pipes are working! I was on narcotic pain meds for the rest of the first week, then only to sleep for most of the second week, tylenol for about another week, and no pain meds since. The sleeve is wonderful! I wish you the best of luck!

GivingItYourAll---Wow! How nice to hear such details about where I'm going to be. Thank you so much! It helps a lot to have some idea of what to expect.

I may think of questions tomorrow.

I realized the support meeting is on Tues. I wonder if I could be wheeled down if I'm still in..lol. (That'll turn people on to the surgery right?) Can you imagine the day after surgery being wheeled in screaming out "OH THE GAS--HELP ME ELIZABETH I'M COMING!"

GivingItYourAll---Wow! How nice to hear such details about where I'm going to be. Thank you so much! It helps a lot to have some idea of what to expect.

I may think of questions tomorrow.

I realized the support meeting is on Tues. I wonder if I could be wheeled down if I'm still in..lol. (That'll turn people on to the surgery right?) Can you imagine the day after surgery being wheeled in screaming out "OH THE GAS--HELP ME ELIZABETH I'M COMING!"

That would be hilarious!

I had the same ops u r having except the liver biopsy. I accepted all pain med offered for the first week! Then only Tylenol during the day and targin over night.

I have found as long as your are respectful of hospital staff, they take good care of you.

I of course felt great day 6, came home and pushed the limits and have senomas over my hernia repairs, so back to resting for me. So my advice would be, even if u feel like doing stuff, don't. Just walk and smile. Sip sip sip..

I didn't have the gall bladder or hernia repair, but my surgery was last week was no big deal.

It took two days to be able to pass gas. That was uncomfortable and frustrating. Beyond that, I can't say I had much of anything I would call pain. I had zero nausea. I am at day. I am laying around home bored looking for stuff to do. What I have been through wasn't as bad as bad case of the flu.

It doesn't all have to go wrong and probably will not. Have confidence in your decision. With the list of things that you are dealing with, it doesn't sound like this was a borderline decision. Even a couple crappy weeks don't mean anything in the context of a lifetime.

Marty,

I just want to wish you good luck and God speed on your surgery tomorrow. You'll do just great!

Best of luck tomorrow. I will be thinking about you!!

Thanks so much. I'm feeling pretty calm and just ready to get it over with.

I'll be back!!