Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Sleeved! Just Home From Hospital.

First thing I want to say is, the surgery is not for the faint of heart. I've had 2 c-sections, and gallbladder removal surgery so I kind of knew what I was getting in to. If you've never had surgery just be prepared, there is quite a bit of pain in your abdomen, and the worst is geting up out of the bed every time you go to the restroom, which is very frequently since they are giving you fluids through an IV. So, put on your Brave face and tackle it head on, you can do this!!

I arrived at the hospital Wednesday at 5:30am and things started happening very quickly. I got called back, changed into gown, and people started coming in, anesthesia team, nurses, and surgeon. They started my IV and gave me fluids and tylenol through IV.

I vaguely remember being wheeled to the operating room, I remember one of the doctors asking if I'd like some chapstick on, and I said yes, and he rubbed some onto my lips with gauze, I thought that was very thoughtful. :)

Next thing I knew I was barely waking up in recovery and in pain! I remember moaning and saying "it hurts, it hurts" and the nurse said they were starting in on my Dilautid drip, and I said "will it get better the more I have because it still hurts!" and she said yes. I vaguely remember being wheeled to my room, where my husband was waiting for me, and I pretty much slept the rest of the day.

My mouth was dry as cotten and the nurse said usually no ice chips, but she'd call the dr. to see if I could have some. I had a few ice chips after that and a few more before bedtime. My husband left to go home for the night. I woke up at 2am puking my guts up, then dry heaving. Let me tell you, It hurts to vomit and dry heave with a stomach that was just cut open! I frantically called the nurse and they came in and gave me some phenegren, then changed the sheets, and my gown, wiped my neck and hair down (yes it had gotten everywhere!) I know you're thinking what was there in your stomach to even throw up? Well, it was bile,the dark brown stuff. *sorry if TMI*

The next day went better, started me on Clear liquids, could hardly sip anything. By the end of the day I had eaten a few bites of chicken broth, and a sugar free popsicle, and a few sips of crystal light. Nurses kept me on zophran for nausea during the day and dilautid pump for pain. I pushed the pump every 10minutes to keep my pain under control. I started running a low grade fever that evening 100.5. the doctor did not want to treat it, said it was normal due to the surgery and it would go away on its own. He was right, it steadily went down every couple hours, the next morning it was 99.9 then midday, it was 98.5, so it went away by itself.

That night was uneventful, I could pretty much get out of bed (without using my abs) on my own and go to the restroom. Just warnig you, you will be peeing A LOT!! from the iv fluids they give you.

The next morning was Friday and by then I could walk around the floor with very little problems, still pumping the dilautid drip every 10 minutes. It was wonderful that I had a friend there doing the same surgery so we'd visit each others room, and walk laps together, truly truly a blessing to have her there, and we just met at pre-op visit!

The doctor made his rounds at about 12:30pm and we got the ball rolling on discharging me. We left the hospital at about 2pm. By the way, they took me off the dilauted around 12:30 and gave me liquid Lortab (vicodin) and it made me loopy! I felt drunk the rest of the day. I am still taking it though, and do not feel that "drunk" feeling anymore.

Today is Saturday, I am in great spirits, sipping VERY slowly on Atkins drinks and crystal light lemonade. and walking laps around my living room.

The main thing I want people to know (who haven't had the surgery yet) is to be BRAVE, COURAGEOUS and put on your fighting face, because you CAN do this, YES, you will have pain, but it is so very worth it! I wouldn't take it back for a second!

Thanks for listening, so if it was too long :)

Congratulations on your surgery. It sounds like you've got a great attitude! Thank you for being honest and not sugar coating your experience. I've also had c-sections and my gall bladder out. How does this surgery compare to a c-section as far as pain? Which do you think was worse. I'm being sleeved on 8/22 and just want to prepare myself mentally.

Excellent post!!! The first one I have read that really makes one understand as to what to expect. Very informative and wish you all the best on your journey.

I guess I was lucky in the pain department. I felt no pain at all and was walking the halls 30 minutes after I came back to my room. I felt no nauseau at all either.

You are definitely right about the frequent bathroom trips lol it seems neverending. I have had a c-section also and I think they are pretty comparable as far as mobility although I felt more pain with the c-section. I also think you have a great attitude. Everyone's experience is different and some people will feel like they are dying and some will put a brave face on and get through it like you.

Congratulations on your surgery and best of luck with your journey!

Thanks for sharing. I am 15 days post op and also experienced pain. I agree you have to be brave and keep reminding yourself you get better fast. I have realized from exploring the forums that each of us handle it different. Some people like me had higher pain but no problems getting fluids and Proteins in. Others have little pain but struggle with fluids. I am glad we are open about our experiences because I think it helps each other relate and have support during this journey. Thanks again for sharing! Best wishes

I suppose I am one of the lucky ones, essentially no real pain. I only used the PCA morphine button 7 tmes prior to them removing it after my leak test. I was sleeved on July the 10 and came home at 2pm the following day. I've had a c section, hysterectomy and the old fashioned gallbladder removal. This is by far the easiest though of all my previous surgeries the gallbladder was the worst.

No issues getting my 64 ounces of Water in. Just a little pain if I over fill my sleeve..

I was also was sleeved on July 10th, I had a simular experience except for my pain was worse in my back (my guess is from the gas) and the first day I had a horrible headache. I took very little pain med in hospital because it made me vomit. I am now home and each day is better and better.... Just trying to figure out my new limits and excited about what the future holds.

Congratulations on your surgery. It sounds like you've got a great attitude! Thank you for being honest and not sugar coating your experience. I've also had c-sections and my gall bladder out. How does this surgery compare to a c-section as far as pain? Which do you think was worse. I'm being sleeved on 8/22 and just want to prepare myself mentally.

I would say for me, this was very comparable to my c-sections i the pain department. The gallbladder, for me, was easier. The doctor used a 34f bougie on me, which is pretty darn small, I am having a hard time getting my liquids in, right now I'm getting 8oz of liquids a day (i;m 5 days post op). Eating less than 200 calories a day. I am off pain meds today because i'm taking care of my kids, but still feel the after effects of the liquid vicodin, i feel dazed and a little confused :) lol

Congrats on your surgery! Thank you so much for posting your experience! I, too, have had 2 c-sections plus I have had an appendectomy and a hysterectomy. My surgery is next week. I hope I do as well as you!!!

Glad to see you made it out ok. I had mine on the 10th and did not have any vomiting, thank God. I did and still have some heartburn. Aren't those pca pumps amazing? I slept alot. I am used to getting up several times at night to pee so that was not a big deal for me. I was able to get up and walk that evening fairly easily .Stayed 2 nights. Mostly seemed to be sore rather than real pain. Still taking my pain med at home. Doing fine til today , I had some creamy Tomato Soup, which is allowed and it is killing me with heartburns. That must be my no no food for now. Drinking is different, definitely a learning curb, must take small sips and lots of them. I agree anyone having this surgery needs to be aware it is not a walk in the park, but some people seem have it worse. They took good care of me at the hosp. and Dr. Yu was great. I will have to say it was more difficult than my lapband surgery was back 5/09. I think that Qball pump must have helped alot. I thought I would die of thirst then the angel of a nurse brought me some of those sponge mouth cleaner thingy, that was heavenly to be able to moisten my mouth and lips. Then about daylight she brought me a cup of the most delightful ice chips. I hardly noticed, but the liquid fare was pretty crappy and the same thing each meal. A sf popsycle, small container of warm broth, ice tea, Water for tea or coffee and a lg bowl of disgusting green Jello. I wonder how many tons of green jello they dump each yr? I was able to drink some of the broth,tea, tried to eat a couple of jello cubes, but it was hard. I wasn't hungry at all and just needed something to keep my mouth moist. Again good to see you out and doing well. Were you at Park Plaza or Bapt, ? I was at Park Plaza and they were very good there. I was able to get quite a bit of sleep which was surprising in the hosp.

Thanks for sharing your story....I'm hoping I will qualify for the sleeve. I see the nutritionist in 2 weeks....If Kaiser doesn't pay for it, then I will go outside of Kaiser and have it done. I am tired of yo-yoing with my weight. I can't believe I took off 60 pounds and gained it all back in 6 months time. I'm hoping the sleeve will be just the tool I need to help control my binge eating.

Congrats!!!! This was an informative post! I am having surgery on August 21st. *squeeeeeee* :)

I have never had surgery other than my wisdom teeth out but that doesnt count really. I am NERVOUS about the pain. But mostly I am all too excited to get this show on the road!!!!

Congrats again!!!

I, too, was one of the lucky ones with no pain to speak of other than a little gas pain in my shoulder area but as soon as I was back to my room I was up and walking around about 30 min later. My biggest problem has been getting the Protein in.. blah! I am finally getting it in but trying to get it in during the 2 weeks of liquids only was too much for me.. I tried but with not much luck =( congratulations on your journey! I wouldn't change a thing =) I am 3 weeks out and I'm down 38 lbs and feel amazing!

What great information! Thank you all for sharing your insights! I can't wait to get sleeved :)

I think if you gp in expecting that complications & pain will occur & realize its a possibility you handle it much better, I had never had surgery before, but have kids & I was super frightened about pain & complications...my only complaint was the morphine PCA pump, too much drug for me, it made me sick & dizzy...the minute they switched my meds I was a happy camper. I wasn't pain free but I was never in any excruciating pain. I had no nausea, vomiting and was able to drink clears within an hour of returning to my room. Each experience is different, I only dry heaved when they did the leak test...the taste of the gastrographin & the morphine was a bad combo! For everyone getting ready for surgery just mentally prepare for the change, its frustrating at 1st pacing yourself & learning how to eat meals with your new tiny tummy! I am 4 months out, down from 248 to 195 & can eat anything I ate before just in small quanties...no vomiting or dumping. I do warn you that you can feel sick/bloated. Very tight & uncomfortable if you make the wrong choices! bread products which were my crutch are virtually gone from my diet! I don't even want them, you will learn they just take up too much room. I can eat 1/2 slice of toast with Breakfast but only do that on a rare occasion! Never thought I could eat an egg for breakfast without butter slathered toast! Huge lifestyle change...I haven't told a lot of people about my surgery, I know too many that "judge" so I'm happy with my gradual loss of weight...its not as noticeable to people who see me every day!