Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Few Post-Op Questions

Hi All,

I am still seriously considering having VSG done. My husband has some concerns he wanted me to look into first. So here are his concerns, and I would love to hear people's true experience/feelings.

Obviously, his first concern is the safety and any complications. He is a family doc. and I would be going to Mexico to get it done...so he knows all about the risks, but is leaving the decision up to me.

His other concerns (these are what I'm most interested in getting responses about) is how people felt emotionally after having it done. He is aware that I have a love for food and that it is a stress outlet for me. He is concerned that after I have it done, I may get headaches (from the low cals), and I may feel irritable, tired, etc. We have 4 small kids at home, and I am blessed to be a stay at home mother.

So, how did you all feel? Was it hard to sever that relationship with food and still maintain a happy attitude??

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Hi Jiji...I can only speak for my own personal experience and can't address the Mexico part of your question, but for the rest...

Emotionally I felt fine. After having made the final decision to wanting to get the VSG done I was fine mentally. Like most other folks, I love food, and it was always a stress reliever for me - but all this before surgery. After surgery you won't feel physically hungry and will need to remember to drink and eat. I didn't experience any headaches (except for caffeine withdrawals pre-op), but was weak for the first couple of weeks after coming home from the hospital. Keep in mind that this surgery is a tool to jump starting your weight loss (by limiting the amount of food coming in), you'll still need to mentally address the 'head hunger' issues that you may have and what usually triggers them. Currently I find that when I often think I am hungry I take my sips of Water and the hunger issue leaves because my tummy is telling me that I am full.

Personally talking to folks helped for me, and still helps. Perhaps find a group in your area? I haven't run into any who have had the VSG done, but the R n Y folks are totally helpful and I've had some really good advice and feedback on their food experiences prior and post surgery.

Short answer ... Yes, it was difficult to sever that relationship, but it was something that I knew I had to do. I was irritable, grumpy and not at all possible to maintain a happy attitude. food is no longer my comfort companion, so I have to deal with things head-on. Everything changed for me, post-op. I mean everything. Too deep to go into on a forum posting, for sure.

As far as temperment, I had to consciencously make decisions NOT to bite my wife's head off because the toilet paper was hung the wrong direction. Your body gets flooded by hormones stored in your fat. It is a roller coaster, for sure.

But the good news is everything balances out. For me, it was about 6 weeks before I felt totally *normal* and I adapted to my new lifestyle.

It is not easy, for sure. If you think the surgery is a magic bullet, it isn't. There is a lot of work to be done to do it right. You may have to face some skeletons in the closet and examine your relationship with food and your environment.

Hi All' date='

I am still seriously considering having VSG done. My husband has some concerns he wanted me to look into first. So here are his concerns, and I would love to hear people's true experience/feelings.

Obviously, his first concern is the safety and any complications. He is a family doc. and I would be going to Mexico to get it done...so he knows all about the risks, but is leaving the decision up to me.

His other concerns (these are what I'm most interested in getting responses about) is how people felt emotionally after having it done. He is aware that I have a love for food and that it is a stress outlet for me. He is concerned that after I have it done, I may get headaches (from the low cals), and I may feel irritable, tired, etc. We have 4 small kids at home, and I am blessed to be a stay at home mother.

So, how did you all feel? Was it hard to sever that relationship with food and still maintain a happy attitude??

Thanks in advance for your feedback[/quote']

I too have struggled with my relationship with food. I am 4 months p.o. I have lost over 75 lbs. When I struggle I look in the mirror. Or in my closet at my much smaller clothes. That's my incentive to stick to the plan. I feel 100% better than before. I'm not as tired and I actually feel like moving. And its without pain. I love the skinny me so much more. Do it. You wont regret it in the long run. Good luck.

It's all how you go into the surgery and your mental attitude. Are you going to start working on behavior modification now? Are you already working on getting your 64 ounces of Water in - lowering your carbs to 45-75 and upping Protein to 80 grams?

Are you charting your food or are you planning on going to Mexico and getting the surgery without working on the issues that need to be worked on first?

Are you able to work on getting in a Protein shake for Breakfast to start with and charting your food EVERY day? Charting your Water, charting your exercise using something like myfitnesspal.com (know if you do this you will need to change the settings...their settings for 2 pounds allows 168 grams of carbs - you will gain with that many carbs, so you have to set it to 800-900 calories, 45-75 carbs and 80 Protein and also add a level for sodium & potassium.

Are you a happy person? You will have to realize that for the first two months your food will be extremely restricted. You will have at least one or two weeks of clears - 2 - 4 weeks of full liquids and then go to purees and then to soft food then to regular food. Regular food size will be reduced DRAMATICALLY. There will be no eating an entire hamburger and fries and shake.

You will become emotional (about 9 days out, most people suffer from some emotional issues. There is suppose to be hormones that are trapped in fat and as you burn fat you tend to become more emotional.

With 4 young children home, will you have someone there to help you. There is no lifting for a while. The first two weeks you will most likely want to nap. You will need help with things.

Eating dinner with the family for the first month will be emotionally hard. It would be easier to feed everyone and then eat on your own until you can handle eating with others. People have posted they have cried because it was hard to watch the family eat. Remember this is your decision and your family is there to support you and they are ALSO going to be going through a change with you and it is unfair to put them through a lot of your emotional turmoil.

If you go into this surgery with a positive attitude and realize that this is for life, the sleeve is only a tool and is not the end all be all and cure all, it's up to you to use the tool wisely and correctly you will be fine. If you go into this expecting this to be a hard and horrible experience and you are going to grieve food and feel like you are being punished the entire time, you will have a hard time.

You don't have to sever your relationship with food, you have to learn food is there for nourishment and not comfort. A husband, a pillow, friends and a dog are there for comfort, food is nourishment, when you can work on that, you will be successful.

I understand a lot of people go to Mexico, but psychological testing to me is imperative for this procedure. I cried when I found out I would need 6 months of monthly meetings with their internist and show my food log, I was furious, I wish I had the money to go to Mexico. However, I see the difference in the way I have approached this surgery compared to others, and feel that if you are going to do this, you need to have the right attitude, the right commitment and know that there are some really hard days involved in this, it's not a walk in the park, but it's something I would do over again. Go into this 100% committed and you will get what you put into it. If you try to stay positive, even when you hurt, even if you can't eat your cheetohs, or steak when the family is, you will be fine.

Good luck. This is just my two cents and book on the subject.

I am thankful for seeing your words MinaT...I have friend who has her orientation tonight and I will be meeting her there to be with her. I plan to print out your response so she can read it also if she cares to. It's very good insight and great advice :)

I am 5 weeks postop today. I'm not sure I'm far enough to give a knowledgeable answer about my feelings of my relationship with food since I am probably in the honeymoon period. So, that being said, here is my two cents. I have not once had real hunger since surgery. I have had head hunger. During my 2 week preop diet and 3 week liquid diet, I had it quite a lot of it. I didn't get grumpy about it. I just wasn't overly chipper. Now, that I am eating most real food again, I've had very little head hunger. Food just isn't controlling me now like it used to. Again, I'm only 5 weeks out so who knows if that will change in the future.

Now, about the emotional part of it. I've read of people who suffered a lot of depression postop. I think I was the polar opposite of that. U never had that depression people talk about from lose of fat cells. I had some temporary down times but they were due only to pain. When my pain was under control, I felt unbelievably happy. I felt like I walked with a happy bounce in my step. All of my pain issues ended a week ago today, and I've never felt better in a VERY, VERY long time!

Oh, and the really good part is I'm down 40 pounds and my body is already feeling tremendously better.

One more thing, I spoke of my pain. I've been told in the past by more than one doctor that I have a high tolerance for pain. For some reason, I didn't handle this pain well. I think though I'm on the extreme end. I've seen lots of people post that they didn't need any pain meds past being discharged from the hospital.

This surgery is one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was worth every penny! Good luck to you as your explore your option to have or not have VSG.

Thank you all so much for your input. In response to some questions: Yes, i am a generally happy and upbeat person, which is why my husband is worried. I have done some 'crash dieting' before seriously restricting my calories (HCG, Etc) and I guess I got moody. :D

I have done a lot of research on this and after failing at everything else on my own, I feel that this is the ultimate tool to help me lose the weight for good. I am not overly concerned with the diet, I already drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast each morning and often for lunch as well so I'm okay with the shakes, I have a lot of information on what sort of foods I can eat and when and feel ready for all of that. I just know sometimes the emotions can take over when you least expect it and want to go into this knowing a little about that.

I feel super excited to take on this challenge with the help the VSG can give to me!

When you have surgey done in Mexico,do you have to have your psyc evaluation or visit with a nutritionist? I dont know thats why I ask. I tbink they are both very helpful in recognizing why we eat they way we do.see if you can find support group in your area and go,listen to people who have had tbe surgeries and ask questions

Sounds to me like you would be fine with the diet portion of this Jiji. The thing to remember is if, for some reason, you have mood issues they are temporary. Like I said, I've been in the best mood since surgery unless my pain was out of control. Not everyone is but there is no way to know for sure how you'll be until you are there. Keep reding here and asking questions. You will get a load of information. Best of luck to you!

I do get overwhelmed at times, I feel really tired. I must admit that I do have a busy day I work full time, go to school and I'm a wife and a mother. I would say the fatigue will be your biggest obstical as I'm sure your 4 little ones keep you busy. I was a big emotional eater, but I was so pumped about getting surgery, that I have not been emotional or have had an ounce of regret. I'm 3.5 months out and 63 pounds lost. Good luck with your decision.

Emy, I hope it helps and good luck to your friend.

JiJi, most of us have gone up and down and I have lost easily over 1000 pounds in my life time, keeping it off is hard, this is why I decided to go through with surgery. I had the 6 month pre-approval to go though and I lost 10 each month. Before Surgery I was already down 70 pounds. A nurse at the hospital and 2 different nurses aids asked why I went through with the surgery if I lost 70 on my own. One asked me while she was walking me and said we were expecting really really big people, why did you have this surgery? I don't think your fat! I was on morphine at the time, and I wanted to punch her, seriously, there's no going back now, I'm in pain and I can't undo what I just did. I said listen, I have gone 300-200 so many times in my life, I want to make sure I get below 200 and stay there, I did this because it's my time to succeed. She shut up. I bet she ends up signing up for the program in the next year.

Best of luck to you. If you are sure this is what you want, I know you will do all you can before surgery to succeed.