Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dad Almost Died From Sleeve

Thank you everyone!

March 5 my dad had been sleeved and two days post op found two pin hole leaks. He was eventually put on life support for 3 Weeks with kidney, lung, and liver failure and was septic. after being in the hospital for over a month he was sent home on a feeding tube with stents covering the pin holes they had turned to nickel size holes. He had his feeding tube in til June and was not allowed to eat or dink anything at all. He lost over 100 pounds in 2 months. now 4 months post op he is barely allowed to eat pureed and there is a pocket that formed where the holes were do Dr is scared to let him eat. My dad is miserable and regrets having the surgery done even tho he would have died soon without it. Anyone else experience leaks or near death experiences like this? I was sleeved by same surgeon June 25th and recovery has been quick and amazing.

Wow! That's a miracle! You can't have a testimony without the test, and your Dad has certainly had his. Prayers for a speedy recovery for your Dad.

March 5 my dad had been sleeved and two days post op found two pin hole leaks. He was eventually put on life support for 3 Weeks with kidney, lung, and liver failure and was septic. after being in the hospital for over a month he was sent home on a feeding tube with stents covering the pin holes they had turned to nickel size holes. He had his feeding tube in til June and was not allowed to eat or dink anything at all. He lost over 100 pounds in 2 months. now 4 months post op he is barely allowed to eat pureed and there is a pocket that formed where the holes were do Dr is scared to let him eat. My dad is miserable and regrets having the surgery done even tho he would have died soon without it. Anyone else experience leaks or near death experiences like this? I was sleeved by same surgeon June 25th and recovery has been quick and amazing.

Wow! That's a miracle! You can't have a testimony without the test, and your Dad has certainly had his. Prayers for a speedy recovery for your Dad.

Crystal your dad smoked up until surgery? My surgeon said i had to be at least 30 days out. I was going to post a thread about smoking tonight specifically to see who smoke and who had complications. Im on my last pack now ;)

Glad your dad is healing!!

Yes he smoked up to the day prior to surgery was told he had to quit 8 Weeks prior. It is extremely crucial that you are at least one month free of smoking. He did not follow the rules and it almost cost him his life.

I am not a smoker but I can imagine with surgery how your lungs become weaker. I could barley breathe into the IS after surgery. I still use it once a day and I'm 10 days out.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had a leak and it was scary but I didn't suffer quite the complications your dad did. It's an amazing story and I'm so glad he is doing better. I hope and pray he continues to improve.

So glad your dad is doing better. In the long run, his life will be so much better. With regards to knowing the risk, my doctor sent me a 16 page document outlining EVERY risk. After 13 of the risks, I had to summarize in my own words the risk listed. After the next 49 risks, I had to write "I understand and agree", sign and date. Lastly, all my signatures had to be witnessed by someone. I felt like a 10 year old writing on the chalkboard writing that sentence 49 times, but it sure made me read and understand all the things that could go wrong. I know why the whole thing was called the "Informed Consent Document". I was definitely informed.

Update on dad: last Monday he went and had another scope done and since they took the stints out and let him heal on his own he healed completely the pocket that formed was fine and closed on its own. surgeon told him two Weeks on soft foods then he could move to solids finally! His surgery was march 5th so i'm sure you can imagine what hell he's gone through not being able to eat solids for 5 months...he's down 123 pounds.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

Glad to hear he is well on the road to recovery, it must have been a painful and scary time for you all. God Bless.

Sorry to hear about your Dad's experience - but I am glad to hear that he is finally getting back on track. Surgery is a gamble - every single time. It is important for those of us pre-surgery to really think about what we are getting into. For me, as scary as your Dad's story is, I still know that the sleeve is the right thing for me to do, much like you going ahead with your surgery (congrats on your loss by the way). Thank you though so very much for sharing both sides of this story...it can't be easy!

Your dad is a very strong person to have gone through that and come out on the other side still standing. I'm sure it was beyond difficult. I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better now. I bet he can't wait to start some soft foods! =)

So sorry your dad went through that! Question - did they do a swallow study while he was in the hospital post-op? Seems like if it was a problem with the staples, the leak should have shown right away, unless inflammation made it undetectable.

All the best to both of you! Glad your dad is recovering and on his way to solids!

So sorry your dad went through that! Question - did they do a swallow study while he was in the hospital post-op? Seems like if it was a problem with the staples' date=' the leak should have shown right away, unless inflammation made it undetectable.

All the best to both of you! Glad your dad is recovering and on his way to solids![/quote']

They did do a swallow test but the two leaks were up by his asophogus (sp) and they were pin hole from the stapler slipping. They did not know he had a leak until third day in hospital. He ran fever and had left shoulder pain since the first night....they really should have figured out it was a leak way sooner.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST