Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do You Tell People About Ypur Weightloss?

My sister had the sleeve almost a year ago and doesn't tell anyone she had it done. Do you folks tell people or just tell them diet and exercise? I'm have my sleeve done by dr. Alvarez on 8/18! Can't wait!!

I was discussing this with my friend earlier, I too am having my surgery done by Dr Almanza. Because of going to Mexico many people tend to think negative. They think you are going to receive substandard care and you are putting your life at greater risk. I am a Registered Nurse an although I want to lose weight I will not do this at any cost. I personally know several people friends and coworkers that have been sleeved through him and his care comes highly regarded. Having to face that type of scrutiny is the reason I will not be telling everyone I meet, at least not until it's over. I want only positive thoughts and prayers. This sight has a lot of positive and inspiring people, that's what attracted me here.

Just tell people that you are doing everything humanly and legally possibleyou can to make healthful choices. that you are busy changing your life.

When I joined the program November 16th 2012 I went into it with 100% determination that I was going to put all my effort into it. I tried to follow the rules of the 64 ounces of Water, the 10k steps a day, I failed at for months, I did the 80 grams of Protein, I worked at lowering my carbs and I held off on quitting my coffee until closer to getting my approval.

I lost 60 pounds then I lost 10 pounds pre-surgery.

I had a hernia and I also had adhesions that were causing me some issues. Everyone knew from November - June I was on a diet. I lost 20 since, and many people haven't seen me since then.

Unfortunately, dieting through winter most people are used to big clothes and I guess luckily I was able to get away with using a safety pin on my pants and just layering clothing.

Now it's summer and everything hangs on me and it's extremely noticeable so when I do see someone I haven't seen since March or April they are shocked. I just tell them, I lose about 10 a month on Low Carb, High Protein and I exercise a lot, but recently had a hernia repair and adhesion removal. It's the truth, the omission is the sleeve.

My parents and husband and son know and the doctor's that's fine with me. I don't have people asking me daily how much weight I lost, I don't have people judging me and I don't have to raise my blood pressure or hurt someone's feelings that may just be a moron by telling them they are stupid and rude. It's a win win situation in my opinion. If I run into someone that seems like they are really truly interested and I believe could benefit, of course I would share with them.

I lost 65 pounds in my 4+ months before surgery. My hope was that everyone would notice that weight loss so when it happened to quicken after surgery it wouldn't be as much of a shock. Apparently 65 pounds on my body isn't that much because very few people noticed. I've only told my immediate family and a handful of close friends. I've asked them all not to discuss with others. Unfortuately, my mom has a big mouth and that worries me. It sucks that she's the one person I really have to worry about.

My plan, like a lot of others, is to say "low carb/high Protein and working out," which is what I did prior to surgery. The reason I asked everyone to keep it a secret is because #1- I feel like it should be my decision who knows and how much, #2- if they find out I'd rather it be from me so they have their facts straight, #3- I don't know how I will feel about it in 6 months or a year from now; I may want to shout it from the rooftops, but, again, it's my life, my decision.

For me, my weight problem is a very personal issue and my friends will tell you I don't discuss it often. Therefore, surgery is a personal issue, albeit major. I will share it with those I feel need to know, could benefit from knowing, or will absolutely be supportive. Honestly, since joining this site, there have been times I read something and think "F' it. I'm just going to post it on Facebook for the world to see." Thanks for making me feel like I'm not a freak!

I just said a high Protein, low carb diet and exercise. It's personal to me. If someone were to prod further, I'd tell them I had surgery, but most don't really care, and are satisfied if I tell them I'm dieting

Oh, I meant to add, I don't want to outright lie about it so if someone asks me I would probably tell them or maybe avoid the question. I wouldn't say "Oh, that's an appendectomy scar." lol

I'm having that problem now because I happened to meet a guy two weeks before my surgery and didn't tell him anything about it. I talked to him a few days post-op and told him I was staying with my parents for 2 weeks because I had surgery. He kept questioning what was going on. I told him I'd tell him when I saw him again. He seemed kind of hurt by it and has distanced himself since. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to tell him because I don't know if he would be supportive or judgmental.

LoL... this girl I know sent me a msg on FB and asked if I had gotten a Lapband?!! I laughed and said no... I've told everyone who I think should know.... people ask me what I'm doing and I say eating lots of Protein, little to no junk food and working my butt off at the gym ... which I am!!!

I have been an open book about surgery and I even made a Facebook status about surgery. It was my decision and I am proud of the fact that I had enough guts to do something for myself for a change. I expected some people to be negative but I have been pleasantly surprised. Everyone that I have discussed it with has been positive, encouraging, and even excited about my journey. Some people have been wanting to know more about the surgery but never knew how to access the resources until they asked me. Some didn't discuss it or look into it out of fear because all they have heard have been horror stories. I feel blessed to be able to share my experience and educate others on WLS.

It is a personal decision about who you want to tell but when I made my mind up to tell co-workers and everyone else I decided that if I received any negative comments it was because that person wasn't educated enough on the whole process or was truly just worried about me having surgery.

I had my surgery done in april and only my parents and brother knew of it. I didn't want the world knowing.. a few days ago I went to my aunts and uncles for a bbq. Of course I got the "what's wrong" question from them when I was eating so little. They looked really offended. So I was forced to come out with it. I just said I had it done and it was met with silence and ooh...really awkward I mean what do you say to that.

My aunt was like "oh I thought you lost some weight I just didn't want to offend you." ...needless to say now my whole family will now know and watch me eat during family functions.

There is such a stigma related to having any form of weight loss surgery...and I think that's a shame. It keeps many people from doing something that can, literally, save their lives. In the hopes of doing something positive (in regards to that stigma), I have been completely open and honest about my decision to have surgery. I've had many unplanned conversations with people...both friends, and strangers...and have found great support from completely unexpected directions. I don't give a moments thought to negative comments...they simply aren't worth my notice. I have this amazing opportunity to educate people....about the lifesaving possibilities associated with this procedure....speaking out helps to reinforce my own motivation to succeed, and helps to build my self-confidence. Ultimately, this journey belongs to each of us, individually. Do what feels comfortable to you....and don't feel guilty about your decision, in comparison to anyone else's. Best wishes to everyone!

During my pre-op, I limited knowledge to focus on myself and preparing. I was self pay so I had a short time (about a month) between scheduling surgery and my surgery date. Most coworkers only knew I went on medical leave, but didn't know more than I was having surgery. Sleeved April 24th.

My post-op approach is this:

1. Person comments about my weight loss, I say "thank you" and move on.

2. Person asked what I am doing to lose weight, I am usually honest that I had WLS. Most people are like, wow. Then, they ask questions, etc.

I am not ashamed of my decision. If people want to judge me for making a decision to save my life, that is their prerogative. They can talk behind my back all they want...in my opinion, that makes them look like a bad person. And, those that know that see my lifestyle should realize it is not the easy way out.

Oh' date=' I meant to add, I don't want to outright lie about it so if someone asks me I would probably tell them or maybe avoid the question. I wouldn't say "Oh, that's an appendectomy scar." lol

I'm having that problem now because I happened to meet a guy two weeks before my surgery and didn't tell him anything about it. I talked to him a few days post-op and told him I was staying with my parents for 2 weeks because I had surgery. He kept questioning what was going on. I told him I'd tell him when I saw him again. He seemed kind of hurt by it and has distanced himself since. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to tell him because I don't know if he would be supportive or judgmental.[/quote']

If you decide you want to pursue a relationship with him I would be honest, if he is supportive and understanding he could be a keeper, and would probably be hurt that you kept it a secret. And it will be a hard secret to keep from a significant other.

It you tell him and he's judgemental you know what kind of guy he is and probably isn't good boyfriend material anyways! Good luck! You have to do what you think is right with you.

The truth will set you free!!! I tell the truth! I have been overweight since I was 5!

I love this post!! When someone actually has the nerve to ask me what I did to lose over 100 pounds, I tell them I went to Mexico and had my stomach cut out. The shock value is so worth it!!!! If they want to continue the conversation, then I explain the surgery to them. I have had only one person that appeared to be judgmental, and I can't even remember who it was.

I told everyone that matters to me (family and coworkers) what I was doing. My daughter had it done several months before I did, so they knew what to expect. I'm not ashamed of what I did to make myself healthier. My blood pressure is down, I am no longer diabetic, and I can buy clothes in a "regular" store. Health wise my life is much simpler now.

Simply, I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK!!!!

Best wishes on your journey...Kathe