Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

But I Do Wanna Be A Size 6

It seems safe to assume you don't have major health issues? Don't get me wrong...there is no denying I too want to be small. I can't wait to put on a LBD and KNOW I look sexy..no doubt about it. But calling BS on others wanting to be healthy, that is (in my opinion) just not the case.

While being thinner will make me feel better about myself, I pray every single night that I feel better. I am 32 years young, with REAL debilitating health issues directly connected to my weight.

Wanting and needing are two different things. I want to be smaller, I need to get my health in check if I want to live to meet my kids children, and thier children. Even better if I am in a size small bathrobe when I do...but if nothing changes for me health wise the honest, sad scary truth is I hope to be put out of my misery long before the great grandkids.

Call that whatever you want, but I would keep every single 210 pounds to not feel this way ever again.

I am not calling BS on them wanting to be healthy. We all want to be healthy. I am calling BS on them acting like a big motivator isn't just being smaller and looking better. While having that health threat dissolve away is a great motivator, so is a shrinking bum. Obesity is a major health issue, but you know what, it is also a major social issue. While I have only struggled with my weight from a health issue for a couple of years, I have been impacted socially my entire life. Here is wishing you an avalanche of health, energy to burn, and a cute butt!

I'll say it with you BULL $&!%!!! :D

THANK YOU!!!! :D

Texarkolina, then dang it you WILL be a size 6! Good for you! You have the drive and the gumshin to get there. . . that is what it takes DRIVE and DETERMINATION! Without that this is not going to work. . . that is why most of us are here, we all have the drive and determination not be fat anymore. . . you go girl! You show em!

Great post! I spent my 20's and most of my 30's being obese. I turned 40 last year and dreamt of being a size 6. My goal is to lose 100 lbs from pre-op and this will put me there. My doctor's goals didn't even get me in the healthy BMI range so I lowered his goal too (his went from 185 to 155). I know I can do it and knowing he is expecting it from me will only motivate me more. 143 is my personal goal (started at 243.6), but not sure this is realistic as I and 5'5" tall and large frame (size 11 shoe and hands so big I can palm a basketball-lol!). I want so badly to say I've lost 100 lbs. However, if the doctor says I need to stop at 155 I will listen. I was a size 6 at this weight in my early 20s and I know I would be extatic with it. Btw, for me, health is a by-product of being smaller; the smaller I am, the healthier I feel, the more active I am, the more my heart beats on and on and on and on.....

I know exactly how you feel. No offense to you older sleevers ;) but the majority of the people in my support group at the hospital are older. Most of them say "as long as I'm healthy, I don't care what size I am." Am I a little vain to want something MORE? I usually say the same spiel they do just so I don't look like an ungrateful "youngster." Lol. I tell people I would be happy to be a size 8 or 10, but I secretly want to be a 4 or 6. ;)

LOL Well as an older sleever I will admit that 95% of my reason for having surgery was total vanity. I am 51 and have no health issues at all I was just sick and tired of feeling so fat and old. i was not overweight when I was younger but had gotten up to a size 20/22 and now I'm wearing and 8 or 10 and it feels fantastic!!! I feel years younger and don't have much excess skin like I thought I would. As a matter of fact my 1 yr anniversary was yesterday and my only regret is that I didn't do it when I first heard of the surgery 3 yrs ago. Be a grateful youngster that you have this opportunity at such a young age. :)

I was really split prior to surgery but yeah, a lot of it WAS vanity. I was tired of being the biggest girl in the group, I was tired of not being able to zip even wide calf boots over my chunky legs and I was tired of feeling self conscious about my appearance no matter how nice the clothes I was wearing.

I did tell myself going in that I'd be happy as a 10/12 and I really think I would have been if that's all my body would lose. But I AM a size six now and I love being a small and sometimes extra small. I love knowing that after plastic surgery I'm going to be a size four. Nobody is ever going to look at me and consider me fat again.

The social thing is very real. I know that I act differently and have more confidence and that impacts how I'm treated to an extent, but there is no denying that people treat me very differently these days.

Go for it! I don't know that I'll ever get down to a size two - my body just doesn't want to be that small, I think. But being a small and a size 4/6 is fantastic. I never expected to get here.

Now if only I didn't have so much loose skin, it'd be perfect!

~Cheri

I am not calling BS on them wanting to be healthy. We all want to be healthy. I am calling BS on them acting like a big motivator isn't just being smaller and looking better. While having that health threat dissolve away is a great motivator, so is a shrinking bum. Obesity is a major health issue, but you know what, it is also a major social issue. While I have only struggled with my weight from a health issue for a couple of years, I have been impacted socially my entire life. Here is wishing you an avalanche of health, energy to burn, and a cute butt!

Oh I totally get that. BOTH are motivators for sure. I agree 100% with that. I am just saying if I had to choose between the two, I would want my health. Good thing I dont have to choose, right? :)

I have been going to a WLS surgery support group and every meeting someone says something along the lines of, "well it is not like I am trying to be a size 6 or anything, I just want to be healthier." So am I alone in that I DO wanna be a size 6--or 4--or 2? I want to be the one that is expected to sit in the middle of the backseat because I am so small. I want to wear tiny little jeans and have the option of dressing trashy and still looking hot. I have been big my whole life and I want to be the little one. Don't get me wrong, any move towards health and any weight loss is a good thing. I know better than to measure success vs. failure by getting into a size that seems almost unreal to me now. However, is it OK if I WANT it? Like really,really want it? I know me well enough to know that I will Celebrate every pound lost and every step I make towards a healthier me. However, if the truth were told, at the top of the list of reasons that I am willing to allow someone to cut one of my internal organs into pieces and yank part of it out of my body through a slit in my stomach, go through the risks of surgery, and have my eating habits forever changed is because I am SICK OF BEING FAT and I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to slip into a pair of jeans whose size is one single, solitary number. In this group everyone is like, "oh, I just want to reach a healthier me, looking better is just a little extra." Can I call BS on that? I mean like big heaping, steaming bull $#!%.... I know this post may make me seem shallow, but I have never seen anyone jump up and down over seeing their cholesterol go down 10 points. However, be in the vicinity when a former fatty slips on a size small top and size 6 jeans for the first time and you will see some celebrating going on. They will be taking pictures and calling their friends to share the news. You might see a little dance or hear an "oh HELL YEAH". Ever see anyone act like that over that hospital lab report? I am not trying to minimize the awesome health benefits of losing what is basically another person made up of fat that I am carrying around. I know my friend of fat will eventually kill me if I don't leave her behind. I am looking forward to improved health, mobility, and energy levels--sure...but do I really have to pretend that I wouldn't have the surgery if I knew that my overall health wouldn't really improve and all I had to look forward to is being smaller?

Yes it's nice getting here, Size 6, 4, 2... I even fit in some 0's. Hey, I won't give it back for anything - but really is SHOULD be about your health first. Keep in mind too a lot is going to change on your way down. I posted something this morning that I think you might appreciate.

Sexy is how you feel on the inside... not what you wear on the outside.

It takes a lot to finally understand that statement. A million emotions and situations go into that one tiny sentence. Being happy because you had to strength to take your life back, you will see will become priority. It IMO should not be tied into a number inside a pair of jeans.

There are a lot of mental health issues that go along with this, and I think size 6 can address a lot of that. You guys have already touched on it, though just losing weight isn't going to address a lot of mental health issues, it can go a long way with self confidence and esteem. I have to add as well, that I'm pretty sure my weight has contributed to job discrimination and prevented me from moving into positions that I have applied for.

For me personally, I have told a few people that I just want to be healthy. But honestly, that was just because I think that little voice inside my head was saying (and still says) I shouldn't say I want to be a size 6 so that if and when I fail, I wont be as disappointed. The health benefits are great! But yes, deep down inside I wanted to look good. I am already amazed at the transformation in my body and feel great about the changes. So for me, I say it is a win-win....happy about the way I look and better health. Oh yeah!!!

I would love to be in a size 6 in a year! Even when I was pretty slim in my early 20's for a few years, I think the smallest size I wore was a 9/10. I don't know if I have the body type to be that small. I am just not sure. I have the hips and thighs. in my family..so not sure. I am wearing a 10/12 right now and enjoying that for sure at 4 1/2 months (almost 5) post op. I don't know what size I will end up at. For sure, I got this surgery to get rid of diabetes. However, to say that wearing cute petite clothes wasn't on my mind would be a total lie.

Oh I totally get that. BOTH are motivators for sure. I agree 100% with that. I am just saying if I had to choose between the two, I would want my health. Good thing I dont have to choose, right? :)

Yes--it is great not to have to choose!

Hell yes! I don't think your shallow at all!

I can't wait to be able to buy jeans from The Buckle again! They don't sell fat people jeans and they are the best fitting jeans in the world(IMHO).

I can't wait to be able to wear a 32 size jean, and a large or medim shirt! Oh lord how good will that feel!

You wish for whatever it is you want, I know I'm going to.