Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op..when Did You Start Taking Meds Without Crushing Them?

My husband will NOT take crushed meds. when did your doc allow you to swallow them whole? Thanks judy :) we keep forgetting to call and ask, then office is closed for the day!

I started after my 2 week appt. Can you put them in his water/protein drink?

I took mine the next day. I waited two weeks to start the Calcium, but took all other supplements and prescribed meds. I had to swallow each pill one at a time, but they went down fine.

Lynda

Me too. I'm 5 days out and take antibiotic and Prilosec daily. It goes down fine. I'm gonna start my Vitamins back up except for the Calcium, too, for now... Cause that's a chewable bite type of Vitamin.< /p>

Citracal has Calcium gummies and they are really good and my nut says there great for us. My Flintstones chewable multi vits are a different story, yuk and I have 4 bottles to chew through, I need a better multi vit as sweet/tart chews are aweful.

at six weeks i was allowed to take pills the size of an m and m or smaller.

My dr said 3 months. But the best answer would be whatever you dr says. They all have a plan that works for them

I never crushed mine at all. Some meds cannot be crushed if they are time release. I never had a problem taking my meds although I did not need my metformin after about a week or so after surgery anymore. I have taken my antacid in pill form since the day I was released from the hospital.

I was swallowing my pills whole the day after surgery. I dont have a problem with them at all....even the big "horse sized pills".

I have to cut small tylenol in 1/2 and went on pepsid instead of my prilosec because of the big size. I will ask on the 27th when I can go back on those. The pepsid doesn't do much for me.

Two days post op here. I couldn't take the liquid pain killer YUCK!! so they told me I could take Tylenol. Did it with no problem just made sure I took them one at a time!

Right away lol! My surgeon put me on a prescription antacid. It was very small though. At my follow up appointment a week later I asked about things like advil and pamprin and I was told "try it" and "if it hurts, don't do it" LOL. I was fine :) I did take them with a teaspoon of pepto.

I know each surgeon has varying ideas about this, so double check no matter what!

My surgeon cleared me for my small caplets of prozac the day after surgery. I decided I didn't want anything solid in my stomach, so I started opening the caplets into a medicine cup of juice or Water. Today, I couldn't stand it anymore and swallowed one whole. I had no trouble at all.

I still crush my tylenol and my acid reducer, just because they're bigger.

Trust your gut. If you think it's too big for your sleeve it probably is. Anything the size of an M&M or bigger is probably too big to swallow whole this early on.

My doctor allowed it after one month. Good luck to your husband.