Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Everything In Site

I'm really trying to make a conscious effort again to watch what I'm puting in my mouth.

As for the "last supper" syndrome I've been experiencing the last couple of weeks, here's what I've come up with. The more I thought about the limitations I would be under, the more I started feeling deprived, thanks to all the failed weight loss attempts in the past. It made absolutely everything look good to me. So in my mind I'm equating this surgery to just another failed attempt, only this time I will be physically limited as well.

I need to keep reminding myself that this time it will be different. This time I will see results from the effort I put in. Of course I'm also addressing the emotional eating issue. My new motto I keep

Reminding myself, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels," before I actually take a bite.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but nobody said this was going to be easy.

Thanks everyone, for the advice and encouragement!

I'm really trying to make a conscious effort again to watch what I'm puting in my mouth.

As for the "last supper" syndrome I've been experiencing the last couple of weeks, here's what I've come up with. The more I thought about the limitations I would be under, the more I started feeling deprived, thanks to all the failed weight loss attempts in the past. It made absolutely everything look good to me. So in my mind I'm equating this surgery to just another failed attempt, only this time I will be physically limited as well.

I need to keep reminding myself that this time it will be different. This time I will see results from the effort I put in. Of course I'm also addressing the emotional eating issue. My new motto I keep

Reminding myself, "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels," before I actually take a bite.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but nobody said this was going to be easy.

Thanks everyone, for the advice and encouragement!

The bolded statement hits the nail on the head. I react the same way.

When I eat out of emotion, it isn't about the taste. It is about that verified chemical heroin-like high many of us get from eating. That is what we need to address and it is hard as hell.

I am 5 days out and im sorry to be a realist but there is nothing you can do...nothing ...to prepare you for what will come ...my suggestion is this ...get yourself 4. , 1 ounce cups and fill each with a Fluid of sugar free variety ..and sip each ( must be consumed in no more and no less than 15 minutes ..don't exceed 1 hour ..that's what you'll be eating for 2 weeks as your meals .all daylong..........I am hungry , I crave , and want food ...never thought it would be this hard....I would pay $100 to eat an apple ...I dont like apples btw.....my family needs to eat and the smells are killing me ...the sights are grueling ....be realistic when it comes to postop the work you need to do is MENTAL ...I wish I set up a therapist prior, I'm on that now , and will be seeing someone this week, I ate all I wanted ( the last supper) and enjoyed every second ....but I've cried now for 3 days ...I know this will end ....but it's the reality...your need and want to eat will still be there

Robbino,

My date has not been set yet, but should be around the beginning of September. I have been doing a Protein shake for lunch now for 7 months...and have been doing one for dinner as well on most days for about 3 months. I take the weekends off from both ;)

I had lost 33 lbs, but gained 2 back last week on vacation...which I didn't think was too bad. Did lots of outdoor activities at the beach for exercise is probably the reason :)

I have also been taking Phentermine (weight loss aid), which I was told yesterday at my final insurance required appt (6 month monitored diet and weigh-ins), that you have to be off any and all appetite surpressants 1 month prior to surgery. So don't consider that an option for that 2 week liquid diet pre-op. I didn't think I was going to have to do 2 weeks of it since I have lost so much already, but I do (bummer).

Just my opinion, but splurging here and there on the "bad foods" is ok, within reason, but getting your head prepared for the 1st few weeks post-op is a really good idea. Doing that should be a great help in dealing with any "head hunger" you have post-op :)

I am also of the belief that you should continue to eat as healthy foods as you can forever post-op, no matter if you can tolerate the junk again. Smaller portions or not, your body won't be healthy even at a smaller size if you feed it high fat/calorie foods. Though I am sure I will splurge from time to time, I refuse to go through a major surgery and not make every healthy change that I can to ensure complete success :)

I did just the opposite. As the weeks drew nearer to surgery date, I ate less and less, with no conscious decision to do so. My hubby commented on it several times, saying I must be practicing. I guess I was. And it has made the transition so much easier.

And now that I am almost 13 weeks out and 50 pounds lighter, I do NOT have urges to binge or overeat. While I do experience hunger, I am satisfied with just a little. At a family dinner or work potluck, I eat a spoonful or two of whatever I want and am totally fine with it.

All my friends and family are amazed at how easy this has gone for me.

Don't want to be preachy, but the sooner you make the change, the better!

I had all my favorite foods before surgery but I also was trying to lose some before the pre-op diet. So while I did order, or eat what I wanted, I used Portion Control. Example..1 slice of pizza or half a steak instead of all. I skipped a lot of the extras like the potatoes and breads and just had my favorite "main dish". I was still down 5 lbs before the pre-op diet started and I didnt feel like I had missed out on anything.

It's definitely all about mind control. The last week before my liquid diet started, I went to all of my favorite places and ate. Chinese, mexican and the different fast food places that help me get to where I am now.

I didn't over eat, Jjust had enough to fill me, and I enjoyed my food.. So I guess it was like saying Good bye. I'm on day 7 of my liquid diet and down 9lbs. Hope to be down a few more lbs before my surgery on Friday. If I can do this, You CAN DO THIS. Don't freak out, remember you are in control! Best of luck.

I feel it's probably best to start acting (in your head and with what you eat) ahead of time. You know the old quote...walk like a duck, act like a duck.....you might just be a duck. Well we need to start to change our relationship with food now....today...because the surgery can only do so much for you....when the rubber meets the road we are gonna have to make permanant changes. So you have plenty of time to practice and get good at it.

Hi Robbino, I to was the same way. My doctor did give me a diet but i lost more then what i needed to and I just ate and ate. I think it because we know we are about to have a dramatic weight loss. I am glad for the preop diet because there is alot to adjust to after however once you've been sleeved no matter if you're ready or not your body wont allow you to eat like that. I was sleeved 3/5/12 and my biggest issue is i never want to eat. I wouldnt beat up on myself for it if i were you. You'll be just fine. We all have to adjust mentally ready or not

I went on a week long food bender before my low-carb pre-op diet. Definitely not a good reaction, but it happened. I'm just over 1.5 weeks post-op, so all if this is still new to me. I haven't been craving junk foods because I know that they will make me sick. Well, that's what I was told and I don't want to find out what happens if I do slip at this point... ;-)