Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Everything In Site

I'm an emotional eater, which is what got me to the 314lbs I am today. Here lately I have been eating everything imaginable like every day is the last supper. My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 7th and I'm feeling like I'm eating this way because I know after that date, I will no longer have that crutch. I quit smoking 2 years ago, so I no longer have that vice either.

I really want to focus on preparing myself for this life changing opportunity. I'm worried that this could mean I'm not ready to have the surgery. I want it so badly, but I don't want to just set myself up for failure. Has anyone experienced this overwhelming urge to eat everything they can and want, just before surgery? Is this some kind of stage?

overwhelming urge to eat everything they can and want, just before surgery? Is this some kind of stage?

Robbino

i will only speak for myself - my dr.did not require a pre-op diet, I wish he had.

Those last couple of weeks pre-op i ate like there was no tomorrow :( In my book, you are not alone. Some others probably might have ate alot before surgery, most people are good, trying to lose weight before surgery.

Boo Hoo for what I did, but to be truthful i enjoyed every last bite :D

oh well

kathy

Yeh - its the best!

Maybe stop and calm down a week before but otherwise go nuts!

Keep in mind though the more u gain the more u have to loose AND you could stuff yourself up and not be able to resist the slider foods once u've have the surgery now that your in that frame of mind....

I'm with you Sister! My surgery date is August 1st and I know I have to start the liquid diet in mid July so I have been pretty much eating whatever I want! Like it's my last meal. I feel like now is the time to get my act together and prepare myself for the liquid diet and the surgery but I've been having problems getting there. I really hope this is just a phase. So you are not alone and I too would like to hear if other people who might have experienced this.

Robbino, I have kind of done the same thing. My insurance requires a six month supervised diet but I don't have to lose any weight during that period. And I want to make sure my weight doesn't dip down below the minimum BMI. But now that I'm in the final month, I'm cracking down on making the necessary changes. I've already been working on not drinking while eating. I'm going to start replacing one to two meals with a Protein shake or bar. My big thing is going to be carbs.

Maybe you can start making those kinds of changes now. Smaller bites, chewing thoroughly (those are tough for me!) And perhaps gradually cutting out some of the things you're going to have to cut out at least for a while (I had my last In and Out burger two weeks ago.)

Lots of luck. You're going to do great!

Reading these replies made me feel

So much better, thanks for posting. It's good

To know I'm not alone and that others are doing the same thing!

Lilly, I've been dreading that liquid diet too, I'm telling ya! I may see if my Dr will put me on an appetite suppressant during that part. I don't want to get to the point my kids are guarding their food when I walk in the room lol.

I feel like if I could just prepair myself mentally, like I did when I quit smoking, I'd be ok, but first a snack lol.

Ouch kc, your last in and out :(

I think that enjoying some foods while you can is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it's in control. I mean if you go to a restaurant that you do not plan to go to after surgery because you know you won't be able to eat healthy there or have trouble eating a normal portion where you might end up hurting yourself, what's wrong with that?

But if you're doing it as a thing where it's like omg you won't be able to eat ANYTHING EVER after surgery.. then no. That can be bad and only serve as a potential contributer for you later on when you're post-op to binge.

I am trying to enjoy a FEW things now because I don't plan to eat them later, but I am trying to maintain portion and still calorie counting even though I know I'm not being entirely in a diet type of plan. I will do a pre-op diet when I know what my surgery date is but that's why I'm getting just a few things in now that I want to while it's still a few weeks away.

Get it out of your system. Pick 3 things you want to truthfully enjoy before you start dwindling down your diet and get to your pre-op diet. Make it smart and controlled. Don't let it go to your head.

I think you have to get mentally ready it is going to be a big change so you need to start thinking differently about food. I only had to wait a month from when I first started the process it went quicker then I thought and I did not have to do a pre op diet thankfully I am glad I did not have time to make every day my last supper the healthier you eat now the easier the transition will be

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I have the same, except my surgeon can cancel the surgery of I gained more then five pounds before surgery... I gained 10 help. My sugery is the 22nd I need to loose fast

Start drinking Protein shakes and.water liquid diet you will lose

Sent from my SPH-D700 using VST

I felt the same way - just know that you don't need to have a "food funeral" because you will be able to eat the things you enjoy again - you will just want smaller portions. People told me this before survery but I didn't believe it. Being sleeved is different than dieting where you want more but can't have it. I'm content now (5 months out) eating small amounts & feel satisfied. I used to could eat say 3/4 of a large pizza (which is embarrassingand) not even feel full - now one piece does the trick & I only eat about half the crust & mostly scrape off the toppings. My son had his birthday last month - I ate half a piece of cake & it seemed too sweet so I threw the rest away. The old me would have snuck and ate my piece then all of the leftover cake once the guests left. I have 2 big ziplocks of it in my freezer and have not even been temped. It is a blessing - I'm so thankful for this surgery.

Im having the "last supper" urge but am really focusing on not giving in as much or as often. I have 2 months until surgery & don't want to create another bad habit that will be hard to kick or one that will make it easier to "slip up" after surgery. It's not always easy, I keep telling myself it'll be worth it in the end.

Good luck!

I would suggest trying to do my fitness pal now. It will help you as far as being accountable of what you eat. If you see the amount of calories your consuming you may not do the whole last supper thing as often. I personally feel the sooner you start the healthy transitions the better. I did have a 2 week low carb 1000 calorie diet preop, but even prior to that I really limited myself to how much food I would treat myself to. I suggest starting my fitness pal, start eating slow that is one of the hardest things to do, cut out the soda and juices. If you start these habits now you body will not mourn the loss of food, try to make it as much of a gradual process as possible. You do have a lot of time until your surgery, so try to get rid of a bad habit every 2-3 weeks. Best of luck. Remember you don't need a last super because you will eat again. I'm 2 months out and I can pretty much eat anything, jut small portions.

I have the same, except my surgeon can cancel the surgery of I gained more then five pounds before surgery... I gained 10 help. My sugery is the 22nd I need to loose fast

You have time. Start today - 3 Slimfasts per day + 2 protien bars and a light dinner. I lost 17lbs in 2 weeks doing this...then my surgery got delayed a week because of a faulty ekg reading...I ate fried chicken, Hibachi & sushi that day because I was pissed off...then I went back to the 3 slimfasts + 2 protien bars + light dinner for the next week and lost another 5 lbs before the surgery.

The primary reason they need you to lose weight before surgery is to shrink the liver.

I didn't have time for any food funerals/last suppers. I was approved, and then due to wanting my surgery before the end of the year, I didn't even get my whole two week pre-op diet in. The scheduler called me, and said your pre-op diet should have started YESTERDAY. So I didn't get to go for steak for my birthday dinner, etc.

I was pretty sad because I thought there would be so many things I could never eat again - like steak. But being thinner would be worth it, so I was very obedient on the diet.

Well, guess what? I was eating steak at three months out just fine! Of course it is a just little bit, but it still tastes great. There is very little I cannot eat. I think that is the norm for people six months to one year out, if that makes you feel any better. You aren't really giving up anything, in the long run, except perhaps bread.< /p>

You mention you are an emotional eater, as many of us are, and that is something you will need to address. If you eat this way for the next three months until your surgery, and you gain, your surgeon may not go through with the procedure. You may want to touch base with the surgeon's office just to be sure. Good luck!