Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved in January 2011. Lost 87 lbs the first 11 mos. My weight at the beginning was 349, so I am still morbidly obese at 262. Yes, I'm thinner, yes I'm healthier, yes, I'm happier, but NO, I'm not satisified. My husband also had the sleeve in the same month, he's lost 130lbs. He is still morbidly obese at 280. He is ok with where he is at. Would like to lose more but he is happy with where he is at, he thinks it was a success. I want at least 63 more pounds off in order for it to be a success for me.

We both eat about 1800 calories a day, sometimes 2000, sometimes 1500. We both bike and walk. I guess the real secret is eating 1000 calories a day and to be honest, neither of us can do it. We are hungry. Not starving, but not full enough to live on 1000 calories.

Hindsight....I would have done it one step further and gotten the BPD, too. We were cash pay and as it's so expensive we chose this thinking it would be the answer. Unfortunately, it did not get us to our goals. I am working with a psychologist now and she is trying some methods that may help me eat less. My hands are up in the air in frustration as this point so I hope she can help.

This is not meant to discourage anybody considering this, just a piece of advice. If you are way overweight as we were, you might need more than just the sleeve.

thanks for the warning. I am a slowwww loser. Regardless of what people tell me, I know I have to continue to limit the calories to be able to lose weight. I pray you continue to fight the fight and are able to lose more weight.

You can still have RnY after the sleeve. It would help you lose more with the liquids all over again.

BUT, I personally wouldn't do it. I have read recently that there is no real calorie mal-absorption, only Vitamins and minerals. I may have done it for a year of free calories. Now, some research is revealing that's a myth. Then you are just stuck for life with Vitamin issues.

So what is the answer? The same boring answer it's always been - less calories, more exercise. UGH. I don't like it either.

Since you are used to taking in a large amount of calories, maybe just choosing very low calorie foods that you can fill up on would help.

I only eat between 800-900 calories a day and my body will not lose unless I also exercise. Even on these low calories, if I go a few days without working out, my body will have the nerve to GAIN a pound or so. Without my sleeve, I would never be able to eat this few calories and it's apparently all my body needs to live on.

I am a slow loser, too. I've lost 3 lbs since Jan. 1 of this year. YUK. I'm fighting the fight, now if nothing, else to just maintain. The thought of gaining anything back terrifies and sickens me.

Thanks, Cherry...I've read the same and have been terrified of the malapsorption issue. It's the reason I didn't do bypass. I am trying to eat fruits and fruits and fruits and veges. My body really craves Protein, though, in order to feel satisfied. I can eat the fruit, but within an hour, I am hungry again and fighting the urge to eat. I usually end up eating some cheese or some turkey---something to make the hunger go away. This is what the Psych is going to help me with using hypnosis. I'm not sure what I think about hypnosis, but I'll try anything at this point. I really was hoping to be around 210 at this time and everyday I see it slipping away for good. I just want to be healthy.

Have you tried beef Jerky? I don't know about all of it, but I know the Jack Link's that I buy is low calorie, almost no carbs or fat, and has 15 grams of Protein per serving. It fills me up and stays in my sleeve for much longer than fruit. I have never tasted beef jerky until a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to actually enjoy it. I like the peppered kind the best....nice and spicy.

I agree the Jerky is a good way to go. fruit and vegetables, while important, should be a low second on the list to Protein. Protein is so much denser and takes longer to process.

2,000 calories? Really? That's a huge amount considering everything. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've exceed 2,000 calories and I do triathlon training, burning 1,500 to 5,000 calories per workout 5 days a week. It sounds like the food addiction still has ahold of you.

Are you tracking your intake and output? Come onto myfitness pal. I am loving that as a resource.

Have you tried varying up your recipes? emilybites.com has a great lasagna cupcake recipe (that someone posted on the recipe thread here) and eggface has GREAT recipes, which usually incorporate Protein in some way. I personally can't do fruit as Snacks. That hour issue exists for me, it's your insulin - it surges after eating a piece of fruit and an hour later drops as the fruit is digested. Eat things that stabilize your blood sugar more. At least that's what I was told before surgery!

I think just tweak your diet by 200-300 cals a day and you'll get there. The problem is "mixing it up" as it pertains to food and varying your exercises. Our bodies get used to our intake and outputs. We are creatures of habit right? I know for me, I LOVE the elliptical. It's hard for me to do anything else, so I'm trying to mix it up - swimming laps this past weekend, yoga the last two sundays with my beloved elliptical in between. And I'm "on the search" for low cal/low carb/high Protein recipes.

I think that working with the counselor is a great idea. But maybe RNY should be considered once all other options are pursued, but I understand your fears. You are very lucky to have a resource in your hubby!

I can imagine how frustrated you are. I fear the same thing happening to me. I do have a question... Are you still drinking Protein Drinks? I've noticed that I can eat a lot more lately, and I get hungry every 2 hours. However, if I have at least one Protein Drink a day, I want to eat a lot less and it really helps keep my calories down. I use GNC soy Protein mixed with Water and ice in the bullet. Sometimes I add in some coconut Torani Syrup. It's 130 calories. If you had one about an hour before lunch or dinner, you would be able to consume a lot less for that meal. Just a suggestion! I'm finding that it's a constant thing to figure out what needs to be tweaked, permanently adjusted, or eliminated. Don't give up!!!

Yup, you hit the nail right on the head, it's all about calories. Whether you choose to reduce you're intake or increase the number you burn, that's the only choice

As far as it being a failure, I for one don't view it that way, you've lost almost 90lbs!! And comparing your loss to your husbands is simply not fair to you.

The simple fact is men& women are different. It may not be politically correct but it's true. Women typically carry much less muscle on them, & they tend to be smaller framed.

So if your caloric intake is the same as you're husbands then it does make sense that his loss would be greater. His body burns more calories at rest simply because of the existence of more muscle tissue. Then when you both do the same exercise, he is engaging larger muscles therefore he is burning more calories.

I know this really is not what most ladies want to hear, but I hope this helps you. You've come a long way, don't get discouraged now. It's time to adapt & overcome.

YOU CAN DO IT

Are you exercising any other ways? Try weight training and aerobic mixes. Change up your routines every now and then (:

This far out, with your small tummy, I bet you can get to 1000 being eough calories.

Train yourself to not eat till you are full, just satiated...it's ok to feel al little empty. Keep yourself distracted and look over your habits, maybe slipping into head hunger again?

Go to a half-price books and find some of the "Don't Eat This, Eat That" books...they will help alot.

Keep low carb, keep eating smaller bites, avoid liquids in meals...

PS - Even if you only lose a couple of pounds a month from here on out, you will have lost 24 lbs or better, and it goes on...Where would you be at the end of the year without your sleeve?

PSS - the bypass is still an option for you.

Good luck.

2000 calories does seem like a lot. Is there anyone else thats been sleeved for this long that can eat that much? I thought our sleeves wouldnt let us eat that much anymore :/

2000 calories come into play if I eat more carbs than normal. I get really mad at myself if I do that, so it doesn't happen much. There are some food issues, I must admit, and that's what the Psych is working with me on. I've done the caloires needed to lose weight thing and it says at my weight, I need 2500 to maintain. Well, if I'm eating 1800, that's a 700 deficit which if you times that my 7 (days a week) it's 4900 calories. 3500 calories is a pound, I should be losing at least 1 lb a week. Yes, I should mention I have thyroid issues which could be hampering it, but c'mon...3 lbs in 6 months?? I've not given up, don't get me wrong, I'm just mentioning my experience and wanting others to know that the sleeve is not 100% perfect. Now saying that, would I have not had it done? I wouldn't change that fact, but I would probably have added the malapsorption part. I'm thrilled that I've lost 87lbs, but that's still shy of the 170 the doc said I'd lose. My husband is 100 shy of what they said he'd lose. From what I've read and seen, I think this is the perfect option for those that are in the 200 weight numbers, over 300 is questionable. Just my opinion.

Sleeved in January 2011. Lost 87 lbs the first 11 mos. My weight at the beginning was 349' date=' so I am still morbidly obese at 262. Yes, I'm thinner, yes I'm healthier, yes, I'm happier, but NO, I'm not satisified. My husband also had the sleeve in the same month, he's lost 130lbs. He is still morbidly obese at 280. He is ok with where he is at. Would like to lose more but he is happy with where he is at, he thinks it was a success. I want at least 63 more pounds off in order for it to be a success for me.

We both eat about 1800 calories a day, sometimes 2000, sometimes 1500. We both bike and walk. I guess the real secret is eating 1000 calories a day and to be honest, neither of us can do it. We are hungry. Not starving, but not full enough to live on 1000 calories.

Hindsight....I would have done it one step further and gotten the BPD, too. We were cash pay and as it's so expensive we chose this thinking it would be the answer. Unfortunately, it did not get us to our goals. I am working with a psychologist now and she is trying some methods that may help me eat less. My hands are up in the air in frustration as this point so I hope she can help.

This is not meant to discourage anybody considering this, just a piece of advice. If you are way overweight as we were, you might need more than just the sleeve.[/quote']

Whats the BPD?