Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you follow the pre-op your liver will shrink you could bleed out if your liver was damaged. The Dr did you a favor. You have to dedicate yourself to the pre-diet or you'll fail after surgery. I had to do a clear liquid for 8 days before. Please shrink your liver, if you followed the diet your liver would have shrunk.

I'm sorry to hear that. But the doctor knows best. Your surgery will come soon enough. Your health on the operating table is more important.

This is definitely a wake-up call for those pre-op. You can take steps in advance to make the pre-op diet easier by boosting your Protein and cutting your carbs now before your shake pre-op. For those that don't have to do a special diet, it's surprising so many doctors expect it and require it, if your doctor doesn't at least take some steps yourself. It's your body and if all these doctors think a smaller liver is safer for surgery, then it's up to you to do your part. I understand last dance and last chance, I went out for steak hibachi and had a very small portion of fried rice 2 days before my pre-op shake diet. I ate sensible Soup & small skinny turkey sandwich the day before my pre-op shakes. We all have had last dance- last chance for food our entire life which got us here. Pick your last chance - last chance meals as though this surgery is important to you, count your carbs, throw in a Protein Shake once a day, cut all soda's, add more Water, and for those prone to headaches and addicted to caffeine, cut it out before surgery, after surgery going through caffeine withdrawal while healing would be madness! Still trying to motivate myself to make it through 14 days without cheating, it's rough, but I'm worth it. I have been gearing up for six months for surgery and though I have followed a healthy plan for six months, day two of fourteen days with only 3 shakes of day has been rough, but my doctor and liver will thank me later I hope.

Several people have mentioned cutting out sodas, by that I assume you mean diet sodas? Does anyone know if drinking diet sodas has anything to do with shrinking the liver? NUT said it was OK, and knowing I can't have them post-op, I have been drinking up my stash!

Several people have mentioned cutting out sodas, by that I assume you mean diet sodas? Does anyone know if drinking diet sodas has anything to do with shrinking the liver? NUT said it was OK, and knowing I can't have them post-op, I have been drinking up my stash!

Diet sodas were what got me through my pre-op diet! I made the most of it because I knew I wouldn't have them afterwards :)

Diet sodas have nothing to do with liver shrinking, BUT you will be a sad sad person if you don't get weaned off caffiene before your surgery! I didn't do that on my band removal surgery and had a couple days of feeling horrible.

I DID do it before I was sleeved - I am a coffee, not soda junkie - and slowly weaned off over a month. It can feel horrible to be going through withdrawls immediately post surgery.

Diet sodas were what got me through my pre-op diet! I made the most of it because I knew I wouldn't have them afterwards :)

Diet sodas have nothing to do with liver shrinking, BUT you will be a sad sad person if you don't get weaned off caffiene before your surgery! I didn't do that on my band removal surgery and had a couple days of feeling horrible.

I DID do it before I was sleeved - I am a coffee, not soda junkie - and slowly weaned off over a month. It can feel horrible to be going through withdrawls immediately post surgery.

That's right! I should have mentioned that I too had weaned myself off of caffeine prior to surgery ... nothing worse than that caffeine withdrawal headache.

I too had this happen to me- surgery yesterday- was opened in 8 places and closed up to be told my liver was too large. I followed what the doctor told me to a "T" and then some- lost 21 lbs. I'm told some people's anatomy's have a larger liver as well on top of Fatty liver issues. I have to have a CT scan and then I guess they will tell me what next. I wanted to know if you ever got your surgery? I hope you were successful.

I would be bummed out too - it's a big thing to work yourself up for. That's my biggest fear too!
. Completely unrelated, but LOVE LOVE LOVE your name!!!

I am sorry...it will happen soon enough. Did they have you on a pre-op diet? Just wonderng since they normally do that to cleasnse the liver right? I am surprised they didnt see that your liver was enlarged from bloodwork' date=' maybe they cant tell that way but you would think so. Best of luck to you.[/quote']

So sorry to here that mine was also but wasn't that bad he was able to do my Surgery i am Not in any pain haven't had No Pain @all able to keep Everything down i Thank Good for that Truly i do well i hope you get better!!!