Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The generic purpose of the pre-op diet is to deplete the liver of sugar stores (glycogen) and indirectly the fluids it takes to store those sugars, which are significant. Together, in MO patients, that can easily exceed 20 - 30 lbs. If you've ever started a low carb diet and just lost oodles of weight in the first week or two, the depletion of these stores is the majority of what you're seeing.

There's a lot of debate, even in the medical world, about the necessity of shrinking the liver. On one side, why not shrink it just to have as much access as possible. On the other side, if you're a skilled surgeon retraction should be enough. I've heard both sides and tend to favor the former. If you can, why not.

liquid pre-op diets specifically have some added benefits. But they, too, are almost always low-to-no sugar.

I know it sucks but just as you realize you are grateful. Some people have last meals or drink before surgery because they feel the won't be able to again. I was terrified to eat or drink anything for fear of a enlarged liver. Follow the docs instructions and get your date rescheduled. We will be waiting for you.

Hugs

So sorry to hear of this, i hope it turns out to be "nothing" and you can get rescheduled. i too would have been horribly disappointed {{hugs}}

Good remarks in here about the preop diet. Mine was 2 weeks of lowcarb, under 40 total carbs a day. I was so paranoid that the second week I was staying under 20 total carbs a day. I about passed out I felt so horrible and weak, but doc reported no fatty liver so I was happy. Seems weird I only lost 8 pounds, but I wasn't necessarily eating low calorie. I don't really understand the docs that have people do the colon cleanse or whatever - to the best of my knowledge, liver shrinking which is done by low carbing is the purpose of the preop diet.

I had to do a 30 day pre op diet because of that... I stuck to it and lost 51 lbs. in thirty days.. I was not going to Mexico for them to tell me that... Had surgery last thursday.. everything went very well..

What did your diet consist of? He told me the same!

Thank you all! This is the worst disappointment..it's like giving birth and not having a baby!! The pain is horrible!! C- section was way less painful..but you all are right my dr did the right thing ..I did not follow the pre-op diet correctly..lessen learn painfully! He's putting me on strict diet and says maybe within 6 weeks we can try again...but truly I just don't know if I can put myself and my family through this again!

Thank you all! This is the worst disappointment..it's like giving birth and not having a baby!! The pain is horrible!! C- section was way less painful..but you all are right my dr did the right thing ..I did not follow the pre-op diet correctly..lessen learn painfully! He's putting me on strict diet and says maybe within 6 weeks we can try again...but truly I just don't know if I can put myself and my family through this again!

I'm so sorry!! I'm thankful your surgeon didn't proceed! The pain will subside in a few days. My heart breaks for you. My advice: never give up.

mine was cancelled yesterday. Not a liver issue but complications with the patient before me. It is disappointing though....it takes a lot to get you to this point and while you don't have to start over , it kind of feels that way. Hang in there.

Well I know the disappointment is hard to deal with and no matter what its a loss. I personally had an issue where I was supposed to have my date in april but due to me gaining 9pounds my dr said I wasn't ready so I had to lose it in 3 weeks and then he would set another date for me. I know its not as serious as what you are going through but give yourself the 6 weeks to live and take care of yourself.

I'm starting my liquid diet early. I've also cut out the carbs and soda already. You can't just stop last minute, u really have to prepare yourself for what's to come. U will thank yourself later.

This is great advice!

I had to do a 10 day liquid diet pre-op. A week prior to the start of my pre-op diet I replaced two meals with Protein shakes. I also eliminated soda, coffee, and fast food and buffets. Not only did this help with the drastic diet change but I lost 27 pounds in the 28 days prior to my surgery.

@sleevealicious - I am sure that this will only be a minor setback. Good luck and God Bless!

I know you are disappointed, but the pain will subside and and six weeks, you will be stronger and more importantly, healthier to be able to handle the surgery. You went this far for a purpose, and for your life and your health, in the long run putting your family through this again is worth it, you are worth it!

I can't even imagine your disappointment and frustration. :( But, glad you have a doctor that wouldn't risk the chance of hurting you.

I'm sorry you had to go through all that and then not have the surgery but in the long run your surgeon did the right thing. He didn't want to damage your liver. I hope you get to feeling better soon and your surgery will be rescheduled soon. After reading this, I am gonna stick to my 2 week liquid diet that starts May 28 and stick with what my bariatric program told me to eat besides the whey isolate Protein mixes.

Sorry to hear about the temporary delay. I hope that you are rescheduled soon.

Sorry to hear about the temporary delay. I hope that you are rescheduled soon.

This is my absolute worst fear. Thank you for sharing this. Perhaps you can find some comfort in knowing that the pain you're experiencing will save someone else from the same fate. I can't imagine how disappointed you must feel, and I have been working so hard to keep these thoughts from my brain as well.

I have a history of self sabotage, and I am now in day 5 of my pre-op diet. I woke up this morning and I didn't lose any weight from yesterday and I wondered what I could have done differently. I cheated once yesterday (if you can call it that), and I ate about 10-12 raisins. I just wanted something to chew!! Now that I've read your post though, I am recommitted to doing this right! I started doing Protein shakes for Breakfast about a month or so ago, but once I got approved for my surgery, I held back nothing regarding what I ate. By the time I went in for my pre-op testing I'd gained 14 lbs. (From 2/27-5/15). Two days before my "official" required start date of pre-op liquid diet, I went all out and made a full (yes full) Thanksgiving dinner. I ate it that day, and then had another plate the next and I have been very disciplined and well behaved while on my liquid diet (minus the raisins).

I am petrified that I am going to go to the hospital and come home un-sleeved. I wish that there was more I could do in the next few days to week to ensure that I wont experience this as well. I have been successful at keeping my calories under 800 while on the liquid diet, and I have been peeing like crazy, so I know I'm losing a lot of Water weight...... but not sure if that will be enough!!

Please keep us posted on your next steps. There are a lot of us preparing to go through the process, and it could just as easily happen to one of us. Knowing what to expect IF it does happen, will make it a lot easier to deal with the disappointment.

Thank you again for sharing this and letting us pre-sleevers know that this is a VERY real possibility!