Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was the day ..today was my sleeve surgery ..i woke up and my doctor told he wasn't able to do my surgery..he told me my Liver was abnormally big he was concern and did a biopsy..to my surprise I was angry..I'm in pain for nothing!!! Then as I'm in this hospital thinking about it he did it because something worst could of come of this..I guess I have to shrink my liver and reschedule..I knew this seem to good to be true!! I'm just disappointed at my self!!

I am sorry...it will happen soon enough. Did they have you on a pre-op diet? Just wonderng since they normally do that to cleasnse the liver right? I am surprised they didnt see that your liver was enlarged from bloodwork, maybe they cant tell that way but you would think so. Best of luck to you.

Did you follow the pre-op diet? I would be so upset they opened me up for no reason. I hope the biopsy comes back perfect though!

what a bummer, I am sorry to hear that. :-( My surgeon says that happens to him about once per month. good news is, you can shrink your liver, get sleeved and join us on the losers bench soon. Good luck!

What kind of pre-op diet were you on? Did you cheat??

I am so sorry to hear this. My doctor said that he has indeed stopped surgery and had the patient follow a strict diet to shrink the liver prior to surgery. I know it's not much consolation to you right now. When you are feeling better if you get a chance watch a video of the surgery so you can see why it's imperative the liver be shrunk prior to surgery. Your doctor would have done a disservice to you if he proceeded.

Follow the doctor's orders and hopefully you will be back on schedule soon for surgery. Good luck.

Wow that is harsh, that would aggravate me too, really sorry to hear that. But don't give up, keep going you will get there.

My doctor threatened the same thing. Sorry you are disappointed. Pray that you are back on track soon.

Be grateful that your Dr. didn't want to run any risk of nicking or damaging your liver. Hopefully all will be good with the biopsy and you will just need a strict no carb diet and you'll be sleeved before you know it.

That totally blows!!!

Did he put you on a preop diet. My dr did and I hated it but understood. Did he say when he was going to do it?

That was my biggest fear preop! When my surgeon said he would not do the procedure if my liver was enlarged, I was soo scared and so sure that it would happen to me - it kept me honest for the 2-wk preop diet. I'm so sorry that happened to you, but yes, your surgeon would have been careless if he had tried to continue. Good luck in shrinking that liver and getting on the loser's bench after all!!

I'm sorry you are in pain but ur doc did the right thing. U can't tell you have an enlarged liver from bloodwork unless ur actual liver function is effected by it. When doing the sleeve surgery the doc has to be able to lift up the liver in order to complete the stapling all the way up to the esophagus area. Too large of a liver and he cannot safely do this because he cannot see where he needs to staple. I have seen this many times in the OR and trust me when I say it's better to abort than to proceed ahead. The liver is not an organ u wanna mess with.

I'm sorry again for the pain. Go back on ur preop diet to help shrink the liver and before u know it you will have had a successful sleeve surgery!

If you ever watch a surgery, you can see why. If the liver is too big, they really can't GET to the stomach and maneuver very easily. Plus, it's very serious to damage the liver. You can't tell with bloodwork, usually only with ultrasound or CT scan.

I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. I hope you don't get discouraged. Now more than ever I hope this situation gives you the motivation to get where you need to be so you can have the surgery. My thoughts are with you.