Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Hey Guys,

I got my second fill Tuesday, and I can feel a difference this time. Today I had about five bites of lunch and that was all I could do. The nurse said I should be losing faster and more than I am, only 18 down, and I guess my problem is the carbs. I took heed of her advice after a scolding and went to the store to buy more Protein products. What fun. Hopefully I will only need one more fill after this one and then I should be good to go!!

Mallorie

Tell me, what "protein products" are you (or anyone out there) buying? I'm having a hard time getting down chicken so nervous to try fish - but I did try meatballs and that went okay. So, I made meatloaf and with cottage cheese I could get lots of protein in me - but, these are fattening items! Even Peanut Butter is fattening. Any other ideas?

I totally agree. Fish definitely goes down easier than chicken!

I was also surprised that I could eat ground round. I made patties and did one of my mother's old favorites - smothered them with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. I didn't actually eat much of the soup, but it soaked into the patties enough that it kept them from being difficult to swallow.

My dietician suggested some Kashi (same co. that makes the cereals) frozen dinners. They're new and she was satisfied with the calorie and Protein content, plus she said they are very tasty. I have Healthy Choice dinners fairly often because they are so low calorie and they are satisfying. She also told me that if I have a day that I haven't been able to meet the protein requirement, I can have a glass of skim milk with some Protein Powder.

So far, I haven't lost any hair. Thank goodness! Anyone out there who's having that problem?

Hello fellow september bandsters-

I was banded on 9/15 and have lost 25 pounds so far. I can relate to the feelings of the slow weight loss. The first 20 pounds just fell off and then for a week the scale would go up and down for a 22 pound loss (i flipped out when the scale went up). Then all of a sudden, i lost a few more pounds. I am getting back into old work clothes and feeling great (except my port hurts occasionally). Does anyone else have that problem?

I am going for my first fill on 10/23. I am a little nervous :phanvan and hope that it doesn't hurt or that I have problems eating after that.

So far eating has gone well for me, except i feel that i am always hungry or i eat and i am hungry shortly after. Yesterday i was suppose to transition to a "regular" diet but my dietician didn't email the papers to me so i feel a bit lost. I am going to continue doing soft foods. I eat tons of fish and occasionally have shredded chicken.< /p>

Any words of advice for transitioning to regular food? thanks!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

You're doing great! There are days my port hurts me too. It usually bothers me when it's rainy or humid outside. I notice it also bothers me when I work out. Oh Well...I'll get used to it.

Eating is going well for me as well. Softer foods definetely work better. There are days my band can handle all foods and then there are days where I'm eating lighter than normal b/c I don't want to have that terrible pain in my stomach. I ate grilled chicken over salad for the first time today. It was ok but, It was a little dry.

Good luck with transitioning to solids.

One thing I've noticed about eating chicken is that dark meat goes down easier than white. I've always eaten chicken breasts and cooked almost exclusively with them. Now I gravitate to the thigh and leg and I'm much happier.

The area around my port hurts sometimes too. That incision is still looking reddish and a little angry - although it doesn't actually hurt. Anyone have that? All my other incisions only have a little pink where the scar is.

I have a problem with my port. I hurt it at work, but the incisions don't seem to want to close all the way and heal up. I still have scabs. I don't want to pick at them, but sometimes they sure do itch. If I lean on the counter or something like that, my port gets a little sore.

I cook my chicken breast to utter perfection. I take a boneless skinless chicken breast from the freezer. I like it already bagged. I put it into a cake pan and put a bit of olive oil in there and salt, pepper, garlic power, and some Wocestershire sauce. I then bake it on 350 for about 35-40 minutes. It is so tender and moist, I don't have a problem with it at all. I haven't had a fill yet, but this might help ya'll.

chicken seems to go down well for me - but the biggest bumemr so far is that I can't eat hardly any beef - and that is my favorite protein!! Shrimp went down okay yesterday - three jumbo shrimp and I was stuffed!! (First fill on 10/6 - 1.8cc)

Yah, my port area is taking longer to settle down that the other incisions did. The scar is still very, very noticeable and sometimes the area comes close to aching. And I can feel my port through my skin. They didn't bury it at all deep, that's for sure!

I go for my first fill this Tuesday. I am nervous about it. I hate needles.

Green: Do you watch the needle pierce the skin? Well I can't. I can't even watch someone else (like one of my kids) get an injection. I'm not actually afraid of needles, but I just cannot watch the procedure.

My Mom always said that if you will concentrate on relaxing your hands and think about something other than what's happening at that moment, it will make a huge difference. It does work for me!

When I have tried to think of something else, I've even been guilty of mentally undressing the dentist, and even the dental assistant when it was a long, unpleasant root canal. I actually had to work hard to keep from laughing! Quite the hilarious diversion.

Lifelongband: My port incision and surrounding lumpy area sometimes complains when I wear a waistband right at that spot. It has caused me more than once to unbutton my trousers in the car.

I told the dietician that I thought I could feel some of the tubing and she said that I will be able to feel even more when I lose more weight. Creepy!

And your idea for chicken is good: pretend it's cake! LOL

Green: Do you watch the needle pierce the skin? Well I can't. I can't even watch someone else (like one of my kids) get an injection. I'm not actually afraid of needles, but I just cannot watch the procedure.

My Mom always said that if you will concentrate on relaxing your hands and think about something other than what's happening at that moment, it will make a huge difference. It does work for me!

When I have tried to think of something else, I've even been guilty of mentally undressing the dentist, and even the dental assistant when it was a long, unpleasant root canal. I actually had to work hard to keep from laughing! Quite the hilarious diversion.

No, I can't even look at a needle! I was thinking of taking some of the Demerol that I have left from the operation before going for my fill. Then I will mentally undress the doctor. :) I just hope I don't get one of the nurses. I don't like undressing women....:faint:

Evening Kiddos,

Tomorrow is the big first WEIGH IN DAY for the Christmas Challenge!!!!!

I do hope everyone is doing well, and please remember don't get discourged, if you have not had a fill like me, you may not lose as you would hope but it will come, it will come.

When you weigh in tomorrow please post your loss from your original weigh in. That will enable me to count pounds lost, for a running total.

Remember we are all in this together and I Celebrate your loss just as I would my own!

And your idea for chicken is good: pretend it's cake! LOL

LOL! I use a cakepan so that it holds the moisture. My children love it when I cook my chicken like that. It cooks to perfection, but when their Dad makes chicken it almost always ends up DRY. :)

Erin