Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

Hey James, I had half a cup of chili tonight and it went down well for me and I feel full. We were banded the same time, but I don't have any restrictions as to "chunks" in my soups/food. Just the normal, ya know, "chew chew chew."

Hi Steph! Yeah, I'm about the same. It hurts just a little if I bend over, but that's just from general soreness. I have noticed that by 6pm of any day, I'm worn out. Getting better though.

Steph, I'm curious about what mods the nutritionist gave you. And yes, I too am a little confused about the "mushes" stage. It looks like we don't get one?? The only thing I can see that we get is that between days 11-21, we can get Soup that has no chunks, low fat, drinkable through a straw. Now, is Day 11 if I stayed on Clear liquids a full 7 days, or should I adjust that Day 11 to Day 7 since I've moved to the yogurt stage?

I think I'll be ok if I can get to the Soup stage. But when I do, can I take a soup like... say, chicken noodle, blend it up in a processor so there are no chunks, and eat it? As a reminder, my doctor was Dr. Ortiz in TJ.

Thanks, everyone!

Dr Miranda told me to stay on Clear Liquids for a min on 3 day with a max of 7... If I choose on the 4th I can add a protien drink, drinkable yougart, thicker Soups like Tomato, etc... By the 10th day I can try softer solid foods...

If this makes any sense :rolleyes:

..Keep in mind that I can only eat about 3/4 cup at a time and get hungry about 2-4 hrs later..

So far though.. for the first 3 days I did the clear liquid thing... on the 4th day I ventured a little when my DH and I went to souper salad and I tried some tomato based Pasta soup(no Pasta of course) and 2 tbs of choc pudding.. YUMMM!!! Later that afternoon I WAS STARVING.. I mean I have never had my tummy hurt soooo bad.. Wend thru Taco Bueno and got a pintos/chees with sour cream.. That I had for lunch and dinner.. LOL

LOVING IT!!

Today so far I have tried some split pea soup I had in freezer mom made last time she was here, some spaghetti O's, and home made broc cheese soup NO BROC!! No problems at all.. Slow and EASY... I just cant eat very much at all!! I think tomorrow I might try scrambled eggs.... Been pretty careful to eat very very soft foods and will prob do so for the next few weeks...

Hope I didnt confuse anyone... I tend to ramble on and on when typing... Sometimes not making much sense..

All I can say Is LOVING THE BAND!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Is anyone getting a pain on left side about 4inches below your breast. It happens when I get up and move and even when i sit down. The pain feels like when your jumping or running and you needed to stop because it hurt. I'm not talking about the port pain. This may be where the band is. I'm not sure.

Let me know.

Regards,

Wow this has been an active thread! I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's progress.

As for myself, I thought I had to do 2 weeks of liquids pre-op, and finally I reviewed the information from my nutritionist and saw that it's only 1 week- so I'm very excited to eat solids until this Thursday.

Is anyone getting a pain on left side about 4inches below your breast. It happens when I get up and move and even when i sit down. The pain feels like when your jumping or running and you needed to stop because it hurt. I'm not talking about the port pain. This may be where the band is. I'm not sure.

Let me know.

Regards,

Hi sm1125, I was banded on the 8th and I know the pain that you are talking about. It does feel like you have been running a lot. I figure it is a gas bubble lodged. Did you walk around alot. I get up and move and I feel much better. Hope the pain doesn't last because it is very hard to breathe. Try tapping on it to move it out of there. Good luck!

There are a lot of bandings on Monday and Tuesday!!! Hooray for all those who are completed and I hope you are doing well. Good luck to those this week and post as soon as you can so we know you are doing well. I copied this and brought it forward so we will know who is upcoming this month. Good Luck to all!!

9/1 okiegirl

9/1 TexasBr@t

9/4 JamesA

9/4 SLHarrison

9/5 Em1125

9/5 kittylover54

9/5 mcw12985

9/5 chabutter

9/6 Ashlee

9/6 Cole

9/6 Kathy S

9/6 r2ht4u

9/6 Gjdf52

9/7 bibytz

9/7 kristyinusa

9/7 sunnshyne411

9/7 MICHELLE43

9/7 cassandra

9/8 dovie6523

9/8 valgal1968

9/11 cindyn

9/11 BJean

9/11 SheryBery

9/11 SherryA

9/11 RHCPgirl

9/11 lamamama

9/12 want2lose

9/12 ItsGottaGo!

9/12 TxAngel

9/12 HopeWorks

9/12 kattiegirl

9/13 katt

9/13 jewel

9/13 avasa

9/14 gonnabethin

9/14 mom of many

9/15 swanny

9/18 Linstadt

9/18 tayvia99

9/19 vv0710

9/19 susoue

9/20 mariecarmen

9/20 wantlapband

9/20 samos

9/21 jgandg

9/21 WandaKay

9/21 Dallasmist

9/22 diane5467

9/22 kellieatkins30

9/22 Lila

9/26 marie noone

9/26 christy

9/27 Bettina

9/28 KarenK

9/29 Lapoli7

9/29 ratgirl

TBD dpingl

TBD cootie

TBD BigED

TBD moon goddess

I am scheduled for Sept 19, Dr Anderson, Presbyterian Hosp, Dallas, Tx. I am soooo thrilled. Drinking this Protein (25 gm) twice a day, yogurt and 1 egg for Breakfast, and dinner a salad and grilled lean meat (usually fish or chicken).

I am pumped and ready... wish us all the best in this endeavor...

Sincerely,

Elaine

Welcome Elaine! I'm sure you will find lots of information here at LBT. Congratulations on getting a date for your Surgery scheduled. Were you able to get your surgery covered by insurance or are you self pay?

Hi ya'll! I've been out of the loop for several days. Don't get me started or I'll tell you all about the perils of BJ! :faint:

I won't bore you with the details, but I was evacuated with my street blocked off by the Fire Dept. because the pool builders cut the main gas line to my house onThursday. :D Took hours to get it capped and we've spent the weekend without hot Water because when they reconnected our gas line, one of the Water heaters won't relight. My sweet little Min. Schnauzer damaged her eye (also by wires sticking out around the huge mess that will soon be a swimming pool) and had to have emergency surgery on Sat. :think

Honestly there's more... I will spare you but I will say that everything has been keeping me extremely preoccupied and I am much more relaxed and resolved about the surgery tomorrow than I was the last time I posted.:)

My pre-op was uneventful. I have eaten more today :hungry: than for the past 3 weeks but I won't have dinner. I check in at 6:00 AM and surgery at 7:30. I've caught up reading everyone's results and feelings, etc., since they've been through the surgery and several days post-op. All sounds like stuff I can deal with. Good to know that the 2nd day is worse than the first. :(

My doc gave me a prescription for Promethegan for nausea. :phanvan He says I should use it whenever I feel nauseous - whether is right after surgery or 5 years from now from food poisoning or the flu. The stuff lasts 10 years in the 'fridge and he says it is imperative that I not spend any time throwing up. :huytsao He says throwing up is different from a little PB and that I will know the difference between a PB and true nausea induced vomiting. The true nausea can be the cause of slippage and there's no sense taking a chance. :P

Also gave me the pain medication that I keep reading about that many of you said is a horrible experience. They gave it to me with the caveat that I use it sparingly. ;) He said pain killers are known for causing a slow down in the lower digestive tract and that we don't want that. Getting rid of the gas, etc., post-op is important in relieving the shoulder and back pain that is common after surgery. :help:

About the pedicure - whatever. I'm gonna enjoy my pretty tootsies whether the hospital staff gets to see them or not! I still think it was money well-spent.

That's it from me. I hope all ya'll who'll be getting bands at about the same time that I am will have a very good day tomorrow. I'm expecting only the best for all of us! :)

Oops, one more thing... I read an article yesterday about a study they did on Mozart music. I've always heard that it helps brain function, but this study actually documented quicker healing from surgery in patients who listened to it afterwards. They slept better when they listened to it at bedtime. :notagree They experienced less pain too! :P So I'm going out to buy a CD and I plan to listen to it until I am back up and at 'em. As they say in Texas.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery all you September bandsters! BJ

Good luck tomorrow to cindyn, BJean, SheryBery, SherryA, RHCPgirl, lamamama. Wow, 9/11 is a busy day for Sept Bandsters. 6 surgeries on a day is our busiest all month. I hope all goes smoothly for everyone.

Let me know.

Regards,

I have this pain too. I am on my 3rd day past banding - and it's getting a little better each day. I wonder what it is from...

Hi all,

My pain seems to be getting better, but it's still there. Tell me how you're doing with food. I see some of you are eating more than liquids. I'm on thin puree. In my book it's baby food consistancy. Usually 6 days out bandsters are still on liquids. My doc does thin puree (anything that rolls off the spoon) for the first week and then a thicker puree the second week. I've been eating everything that he put on my menu. I have had fat free ricotta cheese. That's pretty good w/salt and pepper and its 10gr. of protien for 1/4 cup. I have made pureed stewed cauliflour and melted soft cheese on it. He allows this after 4 days post op. I do get full very easily and still get gas pains. I would say I'm probably getting no more than 400-500 calories/day. I hope that's ok.

Please let me know how you're all are doing post-op. Pain, food and anything you want to talk about.

Regards,

Emily, I haven't been banded yet (tomorrow's the day), so I'm no expert, but my doc's office says it is okay if you don't get a lot of calories. But they say that it is not okay if you don't get enough Protein. Too many bad things can happen if your Protein intake is too low. They prescribe 3 scoops of Protein Shake mixed with Water and ice from day 3 on - in addition to whatever else you eat or drink - until you can chew and swallow real chicken, etc. Once you can get protein in regular food form, they take you off the shakes.

They also say that when you start eating meals of any kind, that you should eat protein first. There's no telling how much you'll be able to eat of a meal, so eat the protein first so you will definitely get a portion of that in your system. It will also satisfy your hunger easier than most other foods.

BJean,

Thanks. I am going to make myself a protien drink in a little while. I'm definetely not getting the recommended 50-60gr of protien. I would say probably 30gr.

I would also like to wish you good luck tomorrow and a speedy recovery. You'll do great. You must be so excited. I know that the night before, I couldn't sleep. I was more excited than nervous. When you get a chance and feel up to it, let us know how you're doing.

Wishing you the best.

Regards,

Thanks so much Emily! I'll let you all know how I'm doing. I'm beginning to get nervous. Wish I could take some knock-out drops and wake up when it's all over.

Oh well, I'm going to put my big girl tighties on and suck it up.

Yeah. Right. :nervous