Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

HelmC2' date=' I don't see a Dietitian but I do know of a Bariatric Dietitian who does phone consultations, she is located in Qld, on the Gold Coast Ithink???? Some of the girls here already consult with her so they may be able to give you her contact details. Her name is Fiona Brown and she does seem to be 'on the ball'.

If you choose to go to Fiona, feel free to tell her I gave you her name.

Anyway, good luck with your pre op phase and finding a new Dietitian.

May I ask who your Surgeon is, seems like his support is minimal which makes it difficult for you.

We are all here to support you through this journey.

Best Wishes

Michele[/quote']

Fiona Brown, Bariatric Dietician, www.nutrition4life.net.au

Ph: 1300655829

Fiona does phone consults and operates out of Bundall on the Gold Coast. She is well worth a consult

Hi all! I'm having a great time. Yesterday afternoon I went to work for a couple hours just to say hello, then I met some friends for shopping and dinner. We went to a charcoal grille type place and I had some really nice prawns and a little creamed crab with thin roti.

This morning I am having an omelet with green chilli, about 1/4 of a chicken sausage, and one slice of buttered toast. I will probably only get through half the toast and omelet. I am feeling a lot of restriction so far on this trip and not able to eat much quantity at all. Last time I stayed at this hotel pre-sleeve, I would have had the omelet, two pieces of buttered toast, a bit of sausage, a little mashed potato (Breakfast food here) and a big pastry!

Yesterday for lunch I ordered some spiced prawns appetizer and "espresso chicken" main. I asked them to pack them in takeaway containers and they did such a good job. The chicken, prawns, sauté veg, mashed potato, cilantro chutney, and onion relish each in a separate container. I have a microwave and dishes in my room so this will work so well. So far I have had about half of it during lunch and afternoon snack yesterday.

So the moral of the story is that you can ask for special treatment and you will probably get what you need. I'm much less worried than I was before about the food on the trip.

I'm supposed to weigh today but obviously I don't have a scale. I may actually be able to borrow one from a colleague though so I may weigh a little later.

HelmC2' date=' I don't see a Dietitian but I do know of a Bariatric Dietitian who does phone consultations, she is located in Qld, on the Gold Coast Ithink???? Some of the girls here already consult with her so they may be able to give you her contact details. Her name is Fiona Brown and she does seem to be 'on the ball'.

If you choose to go to Fiona, feel free to tell her I gave you her name.

Anyway, good luck with your pre op phase and finding a new Dietitian.

May I ask who your Surgeon is, seems like his support is minimal which makes it difficult for you.

We are all here to support you through this journey.

Best Wishes

Michele[/quote']

Hi Michelle. My dr is Dr Willingham and he is great and really supportive. (Sorry if I gave a different impression). I think he was meaning along the lines if I didn't benefit from my dietician then there is no point wasting the money to see her when I can easily find someone else. I think too, because I have spent a lot of time researching this op prior to going ahead, he doesn't have many concerns!

Thanks heaps for the dietician idea. I will def be ringing her! I had planned on finding another dietician prior to my op but am very quickly running out of time. And work interrupts my life a lot!!! There is a weight loss centre not far from me and they have some highly recommended dieticians so I am going to make an appointment for post op (when I have a whole month off. Lol)

I will def ring ur recommendation in the meantime though. Thank u so much

Shell - thanks for taking the time to find the phone number for me.

Ummm...am I meant to feel a bit hungry yet? I lost my hunger on opti and after surgery but I actually felt some hunger tonight.Did anyone else have this?

I am 5 days post op and home 2 days after lots of vomiting cos of the morphine and fighting off pneumonia in hospital.I am sipping (Water,tea,Soup broths,runny low fat custard,apple or v8 juice,Optifast shake,low fat choc milk)and walking around the house constantly.I am filling up very quickly on 110 mls or less.Average cals per day 300 but still running around with the kids on playdates and had to go into work quickly this arvo even tho I am on leave :-(

I am freaking out a bit - hunger - seriously?

Had an interesting visit with dietician today. 11 months out I have stalled for the past month. For the newbies, I started at 107kg and got sleeve on 14 August last year. I am now 77kg and only 8kg from my goal weight. Di Barr at the Wesley Hospital in Brisbane is my dietician. She suggested I need to shake things up with my diet and has recommended that on 2 consecutive days each week I only consume 500 calories per day, then 800 on other days. On the 2 days I can eat non starchy veges, fruit, Protein, dairy (low fat milk & plain low fat yoghurt only), nuts, olives, avocado & olive oil. I am going to start tomorrow. She also reiterated drinking a min. 1.5lt Water per day and to aim for 30-45 minutes of cardio exercise at least 5 days per week and to not worry too much about using weights for the moment as the cardio getting my heart rate up with interval training is better for fat burning. I will let you know how I go over the next month.

Ummm...am I meant to feel a bit hungry yet? I lost my hunger on opti and after surgery but I actually felt some hunger tonight.Did anyone else have this?

I am 5 days post op and home 2 days after lots of vomiting cos of the morphine and fighting off pneumonia in hospital.I am sipping (water' date='tea,soup broths,runny low fat custard,apple or v8 juice,optifast shake,low fat choc milk)and walking around the house constantly.I am filling up very quickly on 110 mls or less.Average cals per day 300 but still running around with the kids on playdates and had to go into work quickly this arvo even tho I am on leave :-(

I am freaking out a bit - hunger - seriously?[/quote']

Hi, yes my dietician mentioned that towards the end of the first week of liquids you may feel a bit if hunger as you recover physically. Perfectly normal and I am sure once you go onto puree it should dissipate.

Thanks heaps kelliv.That is such a relief to know. I really appreciate the info and support.

My TOM started this arvo and I am sure that did not help.Bl**dy hormones ;-)

I ended up watering down some of my own pumkin Soup I had frozen for the puree phase with stock so it was runny.Had a bit of that very hot and salty, then had a few sucks of a frozen frost fruit icy pole.Hunger is gone now at last and tomorrow is a new day.

Hi lessismore67,

I had 'hunger' from Day 1 post op and 10 weeks later I still get hungry, the difference is that now, I can be satisfied with much, much smaller portions than pre sleeve.

Don't worry too much about calories at this stage, the most important thing is to stay hydrated, especially if you had post op pneumonia.

It sounds like you are doing really well.

Michele

Had an interesting visit with dietician today. 11 months out I have stalled for the past month. For the newbies' date=' I started at 107kg and got sleeve on 14 August last year. I am now 77kg and only 8kg from my goal weight. Di Barr at the Wesley Hospital in Brisbane is my dietician. She suggested I need to shake things up with my diet and has recommended that on 2 consecutive days each week I only consume 500 calories per day, then 800 on other days. On the 2 days I can eat non starchy veges, fruit, Protein, dairy (low fat milk & plain low fat yoghurt only), nuts, olives, avocado & olive oil. I am going to start tomorrow. She also reiterated drinking a min. 1.5lt Water per day and to aim for 30-45 minutes of cardio exercise at least 5 days per week and to not worry too much about using weights for the moment as the cardio getting my heart rate up with interval training is better for fat burning. I will let you know how I go over the next month.[/quote']

I'm so glad you have a plan! I also like that Di customizes the plan to the individual. FYI your plan sounds similar to the 5:2 that some of the vets are trying to get the last few pounds off. It is from a popular diet book but they are eating 1000-1200 on the high days and 500 on the low days. The diet book is for non-Sleevers and recommends 2000 on the high days. It is hard for a sleever to get 2000 with healthy food.

Also I feel hunger already if I go too long without eating, but it is more of an empty feeling than true hunger. I have had it since week 2 but it is very manageable. I can even satisfy it with a few quick swallows of Water. I am sure your pumpkin Soup is perfectly fine for you especially watered down. Don't bite and chew the ice pole but make sure it is melted before swallowing. Your stomach is still tender.

I'm so glad you have a plan! I also like that Di customizes the plan to the individual. FYI your plan sounds similar to the 5:2 that some of the vets are trying to get the last few pounds off. It is from a popular diet book but they are eating 1000-1200 on the high days and 500 on the low days. The diet book is for non-Sleevers and recommends 2000 on the high days. It is hard for a sleever to get 2000 with healthy food.

Hi Misty, yes I noticed the thread about 5:2 last night and read all 23 pages! Seems to be having success for most people but definitely for veterans or those needing help to lose the last few kilos like myself. I will stick to 500 x 2 days and 800 calories x 5 days and feel confident it will help kick start things again. I may also use this as a tool when in maintenance if necessary.

Day 1 of my first 500 calorie 'fast' day. So far I have had:

Breakfast

1 whole egg with 1 egg white

1/2 cup Tomato

lunch

Small tin tuna

2 tablespoons avocado

1/4 cup each cucumber & lettuce

snack

1 punnet strawberries

Only 160 calories left so dinner will be 1 1/2 cups vege & a piece of fruit afterwards. Not enough calories left for Protein. This is quite tough and I am thinking about food more than usual. Thank goodness this is only 2 days per week, but I feel it will do the trick for me, so am confident. Is anyone else doing this program through their dietician?

I'm an Australian living in Dubai - I was sleeved just over a week ago and I'm coming to Sydney for a month in three weeks time. This might sound like a silly question..but where do you buy Protein Powder in Aus? I'm currently using ISO-100 (Lactose free).

I'm an Australian living in Dubai - I was sleeved just over a week ago and I'm coming to Sydney for a month in three weeks time. This might sound like a silly question..but where do you buy Protein powder in Aus? I'm currently using ISO-100 (Lactose free).

Welcome and chemists are the best places.

Welcome and chemists are the best places.

Many thanks Kelliv :)