Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Congratulations on your 20 kgs Suesue but even more awesome is your bike riding achievement....you have every reason to be proud of yourself. I have my surgery in nine days and have been pretty weepy and emotional about it all in the last few days. Reading about achievements like yours makes me feel so much more optimistic.

Congratulations on your 20 kgs Suesue but even more awesome is your bike riding achievement....you have every reason to be proud of yourself. I have my surgery in nine days and have been pretty weepy and emotional about it all in the last few days. Reading about achievements like yours makes me feel so much more optimistic.

Hi Swift Kate, you will be about a month ahead of me - was supposed to be getting sleeved today :-( but had to reschedule due to personal issues..

Where are you getting sleeved? We could nearly be "buddies"! :-D

Kristi, it's exciting eh? Although I was quite flat and tray for a few days but that seems to have passed now. My surgery is at Hollywood hospital in Perth. I'd love to be buddies, only my immediate circle know. I told a couple of close friends about the sleeve (2 years ago) and they were supportive but I just feel like a bit of a failure so just want to do it without people knowing if that makes sense.

Anyhow last Tuesday I posted my starting weight and committed to checking in every Tuesday. Today after one week on my pre-op diet I weighed in at 105.8 which is a loss of 4.1 kgs. Woo hoo!!!!!!

Hi All,

Thanks for all the kind words.

I am at home recovering at the moment. In hindsight, having the gallbladder removed at the same time as the ankle surgery probably was not the best idea. The best thing for getting rid of the gas for the gall bladder is walking, yet I can not walk. To use the crutches to keep me off my ankle, I need to use my core for support which is all cut up, so a bit of a catch 22 but I am getting better :P

Whether this is good news bad news, somehow managed to weigh myself this morning and with the cast on I have lost 74kgs. Now just hope that it stays that way seeing as I wont be able to exercise like I have been til now...interesting times ahead.

It has been a reminder of what the recovery is like post surgery..biggest tip I have for you soon to be sleevers is get up and walk around, the gas build up sucks majorly.

Hi to the newbies SueSue and KristyP. Good luck Swiftkate, good work with the pre-op diet.

So if i said ive lost 10kgs in 29 days would it be good enough to make my surgeon happy???

Kristi' date=' it's exciting eh? Although I was quite flat and tray for a few days but that seems to have passed now. My surgery is at Hollywood hospital in Perth. I'd love to be buddies, only my immediate circle know. I told a couple of close friends about the sleeve (2 years ago) and they were supportive but I just feel like a bit of a failure so just want to do it without people knowing if that makes sense.

Anyhow last Tuesday I posted my starting weight and committed to checking in every Tuesday. Today after one week on my pre-op diet I weighed in at 105.8 which is a loss of 4.1 kgs. Woo hoo!!!!!![/quote']

Well done on your first weeks loss. I am sure you will do exceptionally well.

Hi guys - first time poster, long time reader...have been following everyone's ups and downs since I was sleeved on 31 October, so Ii feel like I know you all already!

I'm down 20kg (yay) and just have to share something with people who will understand - today I got on my new bike that I got for Christmas and went for a ride with my hubby and kids. I haven't been on a bike in over 20 years!! We rode around the bike paths for about an hour, and I can't wipe the smile off my face... No doubt I'll have sore legs tomorrow, but I'm so proud of myself!!

Look forward to getting to know you all better.

Nice work! Congrats. I bet your kids were smiling too :)

Hi All,

Thanks for all the kind words.

I am at home recovering at the moment. In hindsight, having the gallbladder removed at the same time as the ankle surgery probably was not the best idea. The best thing for getting rid of the gas for the gall bladder is walking, yet I can not walk. To use the crutches to keep me off my ankle, I need to use my core for support which is all cut up, so a bit of a catch 22 but I am getting better :P

Whether this is good news bad news, somehow managed to weigh myself this morning and with the cast on I have lost 74kgs. Now just hope that it stays that way seeing as I wont be able to exercise like I have been til now...interesting times ahead.

It has been a reminder of what the recovery is like post surgery..biggest tip I have for you soon to be sleevers is get up and walk around, the gas build up sucks majorly.

Hi to the newbies SueSue and KristyP. Good luck Swiftkate, good work with the pre-op diet.

Welcome back. Good to hear it went well.

So if i said ive lost 10kgs in 29 days would it be good enough to make my surgeon happy???

That's a great start Sarah. I'm sure they'll be pleased, although, we're not doing this to keep our surgeons happy! :D

That's a great start Sarah. I'm sure they'll be pleased, although, we're not doing this to keep our surgeons happy! :D

I agree with Dean, as long as you are happy and feel it is the best, the doctors goals are great to have to keep us focussed but we need to be happy with what we do. Is there anything you feel you would do different? Pre-surgery would you have beeen able to loose that amount?

In saying that Congrats, it feels great to see the numbers moving.

AAAaaaaarrrgh. Hopped on the scales this morning (the 'official' weekly weigh day, don't ask how many 'unofficial' ones there are). I'm 9 weeks today, but I'm half a kilo off my 1/2 way mark! I'm not really disappointed, but it would've been nice.

I agree with Dean, as long as you are happy and feel it is the best, the doctors goals are great to have to keep us focussed but we need to be happy with what we do. Is there anything you feel you would do different? Pre-surgery would you have beeen able to loose that amount?

In saying that Congrats, it feels great to see the numbers moving.

My Dr didn't tell me what his expectations were. The conversation went something like this -

Dr: "So what weight would you like to get to"

Me: "82 kgs. But it's not where I'd like to get to, it's where I will get to"

He didn't mention it again!

He did say I'd lose the first 30 kgs fairly quickly and then it would get a lot harder.

OMG so I am down to 120.2kg from 167kg day of surgery and a "top weight" of 173kg. So that is about 53kg in just over 4 months.

The most exciting thing is that I realised that I am only 27kg away from my surgeon's goal weight (of 93kg) - 47 kg away from my personal goal weight but anything under that 93kg is gravy :) It's bonus weight-loss time!!

27kg to goal doesn't sound too unreasonable - it actually sounds do-able. So excited!!!!

Kristi' date=' it's exciting eh? Although I was quite flat and tray for a few days but that seems to have passed now. My surgery is at Hollywood hospital in Perth. I'd love to be buddies, only my immediate circle know. I told a couple of close friends about the sleeve (2 years ago) and they were supportive but I just feel like a bit of a failure so just want to do it without people knowing if that makes sense.

Anyhow last Tuesday I posted my starting weight and committed to checking in every Tuesday. Today after one week on my pre-op diet I weighed in at 105.8 which is a loss of 4.1 kgs. Woo hoo!!!!!![/quote']

It IS exciting! I cannot wait. My surgery isn't until 18Feb now (Cabrini, Melbourne) but I'm kn a self imposed pre-pre-op diet. Well.....I had my lap band out in Sept, and I KNEW I'd gain weight (not even in bad choices, just that I was so hungry so frequently and could eat so much more before I finally felt satisfied or full.....I mean I did have things that were naughty but the ratio of good to bad choices has been about 80/20).

Only my husband, our 2 very best friends know I'm having it done. My family knows I've talked about it but they don't know I'm having it done. They were too I-told-you-so when I couldn't make the band work for me. My supervisor knows I'm having a surgical procedure but she doesn't know what. Ive asked her to just tell people im on leave if they want to know where ive gone. I don't want anyone at work to know. I'm not ashamed, but people can be really judgmental, and I already have self esteem and self confidence issues. Down the track if people ask I may tell them but until then I will be extremely prudent in giving out info. So I know exactly where you're coming from.

Anyway, I'm ashamed to admit that I gained about 10kgs by the time I saw my surgeon again - up to 128.2 kgs (my housemates scale had me at 126.3, mother in laws scale had me at 125.9....i wasnt expecting to be more than 126.3). He was NOT impressed at all. I was mortified to say the least. Anyway, we rescheduled my appointment and he reminded me of my 2 weeks pre-op Optifast only diet and that if he found a liver that was too fatty, he would stop the surgery, sew me up and that would be that. So I let myself have Christmas without guilt and then got busy with a low carb low cal diet day after Boxing Day.

I like to do my weigh ins on Sundays, and when i got on my scale it didn't work. hubby tried it, it didn't work. Changed batteries, still didn't work. Guess it's broke.

So went and bought a new one from Priceline last Friday (4th). Didn't get to step on it until Sunday (6th). Shock horror, I was up to 131kgs exactly. Only 2 kgs below my highest recorded weight (before lap band). This was after a week of intense dieting, exercise and Water intake. I burst into tears, had a sook, and then realized that a) I've got a new scale and scales can vary widely either side; B) it's hot as blazes and if I retain any more Water they will have to build a pier across my behind; c) Christmas is probably still catching up with me. So I let it go, but marked the 131 as my official "starting weight", because that is the scale I will be using for my weekly weigh ins and progress.

So I've been very good since 6th, and I am looking forward to seeing if I've made any headway this week. I can't seem to get the excess Fluid to shift though, no matter how much water I down. No worse, just no better. I no longer have cankles; my pillow feet are just stuck onto the ends of my very fat calves! I've never had so much trouble with that kind of thing, so I reckon it's just my body rebelling against so much weight on it.

Anyhooo......I will try to post more often. I read daily but haven't had much to post up to now.

Hope everyone is having a great week, and if you're in bushfire danger areas that you're safe and everything is alright. =)

Hi kristp

Who's your surgeon i had mine at Cabrini to. If you dont mind me asking?