Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi Dean

My surgeon didnt think I would lose any weight during my 2 weeks pre op.... He made it clear that he didnt think that I would lose weight. or make this work. I guess over 10 kgs down when I see him will prove him wrong.

Hi Dean

My surgeon didnt think I would lose any weight during my 2 weeks pre op.... He made it clear that he didnt think that I would lose weight. or make this work. I guess over 10 kgs down when I see him will prove him wrong.

Gee some Dr's are shockers! :)

Lila, I am so happy for you. That is an amazing loss and you so, so deserve it after all you went through. :)

Kristi, that's a pain about the scales. Don't beat yourself up about the gain because you can only move forward from here. I still have my band but all my fill was taken out end of November and I managed to put on nearly six kilos until last Tuesday when I started pre-op. Am down four of those kgs now.

Sara your loss for two weeks is fantastic, hope your doc eats his words.

Thank you everyone for sharing here, it means so much to get a heads up on what I'll be in for.

Hi kristp

Who's your surgeon i had mine at Cabrini to. If you dont mind me asking?

Hi sarahjp,

My surgeon is Stephen Blamey. He took my band out (it was put in by Tny Kiereth in Perth though).

I'll be at Cabrini Malvern. Which Cabrini were you at?

Hi kristp

Who's your surgeon i had mine at Cabrini to. If you dont mind me asking?

Hi sarahjp,

My surgeon is Stephen Blamey. He took my band out (it was put in by Tny Kiereth in Perth though).

Lila, I am so happy for you. That is an amazing loss and you so, so deserve it after all you went through. :)

Kristi, that's a pain about the scales. Don't beat yourself up about the gain because you can only move forward from here. I still have my band but all my fill was taken out end of November and I managed to put on nearly six kilos until last Tuesday when I started pre-op. Am down four of those kgs now.

Sara your loss for two weeks is fantastic, hope your doc eats his words.

Thank you everyone for sharing here, it means so much to get a heads up on what I'll be in for.

Lila certainly has come a long way, from a very touch n go long hospital stint to now being one of the most inspirational posters on here. Of course, everyone is inspirational, as everyone is on tier own journey. I too value each piece of info shared.

swift Kate, I did beat myself up for a bit....but it didn't last that long. I actually got a bit pissed off at Dr Blamey over it because I begged for the band to be taken out and me get sleeved at the same time (had no issues with the band ther than I just couldn't work it to my benefit) but nothing doing; I just HAD to wait many many weeks in between. And of course after the band was out, I had no complications from that, I had no restriction, and my stomach was no longer folded over and secure to the band so it was bigger. After the initial 10 day period where I wanted nothing to do with food (as is usually the case when someone has had surgery on their guts) my hunger came back with a vengeance and I was hungry ALL THE TIME, and I had this craving, this desperate craving for things I hadn't been able to ingest for over 4 years: chicken breast....steak....pork.....salad with chunky cut veggies instead of everything slivered.........milk.......cheese......

Am I the only one who notices a theme here (that most of these are dense proteins)? While I have had some sweet treats since being dis-banded (LOL) I have to say they are not my weakness. My weakness is all the things I was deprived of for a substantial amount of time. That craving? I think was my bodies way of saying, hey we haven't had this good stuff for a long time - better stock up!

But I can't blame Dr Blamey (eh, irony much? Hahaha) for the frequency or quantity I partook of these things. I am mostly sure that his making me wait between surgeries was out of medical concern......but a part of me wonders if he didn't look at the situation as a cash cow - I mean after all he told me point blank that the combination band removal/VSG was never done and that EVERYone had to wait. Which I know from here, blogs, ObesityHelp, YouTube and other sources is not exactly the truth. Perhaps he didn't mean to blanket the VSG world wide with an everyone does this comment, maybe he only meant HIS patients. Regardless my fears of weight gain, that I expressed plainly and without pause fell on deaf ears, and while I hold myself fully accountable for my 10kg gain, having a gigantic stretched out stomach and an appetite that just would not be appeased for very long certainly didn't help.

End rant, moving on and moving forward. I hope the scale reflects my efforts this past 2 weeks. I still haven't shifted the Water retention from my feet and ankles, but I notice that I don't seem to have that ungodly soreness in the heels, and I'm not as stiff upon waking or after sitting for so long. Also I don't feel QUITE as bloated in the face. I am taking this a sign that something's are changing in the positive.

Sorry for my long winded posts everyone. I don't post often but when I do I go for gold!

Sorry x 2! - does anyone on here do vlogs on YouTube? I love watching them,8 find them so inspiring and motivational, not to mention educational. And it's good to see and hear someone talk about their experiences. Feels more connected. I am going to look into doing them as well. I need the "face to face" accountability! Hahaha

Ok everyone have a great week. Go out and make it happen!

Hi sarahjp,

Lila certainly has come a long way, from a very touch n go long hospital stint to now being one of the most inspirational posters on here. Of course, everyone is inspirational, as everyone is on tier own journey. I too value each piece of info shared.

swift Kate, I did beat myself up for a bit....but it didn't last that long. I actually got a bit pissed off at Dr Blamey over it because I begged for the band to be taken out and me get sleeved at the same time (had no issues with the band ther than I just couldn't work it to my benefit) but nothing doing; I just HAD to wait many many weeks in between. And of course after the band was out, I had no complications from that, I had no restriction, and my stomach was no longer folded over and secure to the band so it was bigger. After the initial 10 day period where I wanted nothing to do with food (as is usually the case when someone has had surgery on their guts) my hunger came back with a vengeance and I was hungry ALL THE TIME, and I had this craving, this desperate craving for things I hadn't been able to ingest for over 4 years: chicken breast....steak....pork.....salad with chunky cut veggies instead of everything slivered.........milk.......cheese......

Am I the only one who notices a theme here (that most of these are dense proteins)? While I have had some sweet treats since being dis-banded (LOL) I have to say they are not my weakness. My weakness is all the things I was deprived of for a substantial amount of time. That craving? I think was my bodies way of saying, hey we haven't had this good stuff for a long time - better stock up!

But I can't blame Dr Blamey (eh, irony much? Hahaha) for the frequency or quantity I partook of these things. I am mostly sure that his making me wait between surgeries was out of medical concern......but a part of me wonders if he didn't look at the situation as a cash cow - I mean after all he told me point blank that the combination band removal/VSG was never done and that EVERYone had to wait. Which I know from here, blogs, ObesityHelp, YouTube and other sources is not exactly the truth. Perhaps he didn't mean to blanket the VSG world wide with an everyone does this comment, maybe he only meant HIS patients. Regardless my fears of weight gain, that I expressed plainly and without pause fell on deaf ears, and while I hold myself fully accountable for my 10kg gain, having a gigantic stretched out stomach and an appetite that just would not be appeased for very long certainly didn't help.

End rant, moving on and moving forward. I hope the scale reflects my efforts this past 2 weeks. I still haven't shifted the Water retention from my feet and ankles, but I notice that I don't seem to have that ungodly soreness in the heels, and I'm not as stiff upon waking or after sitting for so long. Also I don't feel QUITE as bloated in the face. I am taking this a sign that something's are changing in the positive.

Sorry for my long winded posts everyone. I don't post often but when I do I go for gold!

Sorry x 2! - does anyone on here do vlogs on YouTube? I love watching them,8 find them so inspiring and motivational, not to mention educational. And it's good to see and hear someone talk about their experiences. Feels more connected. I am going to look into doing them as well. I need the "face to face" accountability! Hahaha

Ok everyone have a great week. Go out and make it happen!

Awesome post Kristi. I think your story would probably be text book what happens to people with the band to VSG window, so don't beat yourself up. I've found, and I think most people are the same, that when you have a blow out like that and put on some snappy kilo's they come off pretty quickly when you reign it in. I'm sure it will be reflected on the scale.< /p>

As for your Dr's advice, you'd think everyone would know it's 'possible' to switch in one procedure. I know they all of their funny ways - maybe when he said everyone, he meant his everyone ie all of his patients?

Good luck - sounds like your in a good head space now :)

Deano

Thanks everyone for your kind words :) I am pretty excited and happy with the sleeve and am glad I did it...most of the time lol.

For those who are about to get your sleeve, know that while it's tough at times and yes, things can go really wrong, once you get through it, it's everything you dreamed it might be. The weight loss does happen, your health does improve and it happens quite quickly. It's the hardest thing I've done but also the best.

Good luck to you all!!

Hey Deano - just noticed you've hit your half way mark!! Congrats!!!!!!!

Hi Dean,

Yeah I feel like I'm in a pretty good head space. Like I said, I let myself have a sook and a pout and then just got back on the horse. I've been doing very well - aside from not getting in enough Water yesterday. Trying to make up for it today though. :)

I have access to all kinds of nice things here in the office (choc bikkies, lollies, left over Favourites from Christmas....) so me not getting into them is my determination showing. Each day gets easier to abstain though.

anyhoo, can't wait to be on the losers bench with everyone!

Cheers! :)

Lila, you probably have one of the most impressive stories, considering what you went through. That you're still positive minded and glad you did it proves what an awesome tool it is.

Look forward to reading your continuing progress. I don't post much (right now) but I read every post that comes through my subscriptions.

;)

Hey Deano - just noticed you've hit your half way mark!! Congrats!!!!!!!

Thanks mate.

I'm enjoying watching you shoot the lights out. I don't know what it's like for you - it seems like I blinked and you lost that last 50 pounds.

Very impressed.

Deano

Ok, so I need everybody's help here please. I know I'm not going to have people take this post the wrong way here, as may happen on other threads, but I really value all your honest opinions.

This I have already told you all, but to refresh your memories:

I started with a heaviest weight of about 110kg.

Had surgery on 13th August at 96kg.

Started exercising and was really seeing consistent results of about 1/2 to 1 kg per week.

Mid November, got glandular fever. Started losing up to 4kgs per week for close to a month.

At my 3 month surgeon check, my bloods were fine and I had already lost 124% of my excess weight. Dietician advised against "trying" to lose more at the moment and focus on getting healthy, even if that meant putting a few kgs back on. I stopped exercising and rested. I even put on 2kg over Christmas.

Here is my dilemma. I am 1kg away from my absolute minimum I want to weigh of 58kg. I am feeling better, but not back to 100% yet, prob about 70% if I'm honest. In the next couple of weeks, I'd like to start working out again, to rebuild the muscle I lost while I was sick and to tighten all the flabby skin I have, and also, because I can. I finally feel comfortable enough to go to the gym in shorts and actually do a decent work out.

I have been told by so many of my friends and family that I shouldn't lose any more and that with my cheek bones sticking out I look sick. I just came back from the beech and saw this photo and all I can see is my flat chest and my ribs and hips sticking out.

Have I gone too far? Should I start working out? Should I wait until I'm 100% and have put on another kg or 2. Should I be trying to stop or let my body find its natural resting point?

I've come this far with this and because of years of yoyo dieting I'm really scared that if I stop losing now, I'll waste the "honeymoon period" and I'll pile it all back on again and then some. It's not easy to see the scales go up and not fear that its going to spiral out of control again. I don't know what to do. I'll post a couple of before and after pics and I really value totally honest opinions. Thank you.

I really don't want anybody else to compare themselves with me. I got really sick and wouldn't wish that on anybody. The sleeve is a great way to lose weight. I've lost it far to quickly and now there are so many rumours going around work about me, like that I have breast cancer because I've had a double mastectomy, and tired and sick all the time and my hair is now so so thin. What should I do?

post-32312-13813662105761_thumb.jpg

post-32312-13813662106222_thumb.jpg

post-32312-13813662106863_thumb.jpg

post-32312-1381366210746_thumb.jpg

post-32312-13813662107889_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I need everybody's help here please. I know I'm not going to have people take this post the wrong way here, as may happen on other threads, but I really value all your honest opinions.

This I have already told you all, but to refresh your memories:

I started with a heaviest weight of about 110kg.

Had surgery on 13th August at 96kg.

Started exercising and was really seeing consistent results of about 1/2 to 1 kg per week.

Mid November, got glandular fever. Started losing up to 4kgs per week for close to a month.

At my 3 month surgeon check, my bloods were fine and I had already lost 124% of my excess weight. Dietician advised against "trying" to lose more at the moment and focus on getting healthy, even if that meant putting a few kgs back on. I stopped exercising and rested. I even put on 2kg over Christmas.

Here is my dilemma. I am 1kg away from my absolute minimum I want to weigh of 58kg. I am feeling better, but not back to 100% yet, prob about 70% if I'm honest. In the next couple of weeks, I'd like to start working out again, to rebuild the muscle I lost while I was sick and to tighten all the flabby skin I have, and also, because I can. I finally feel comfortable enough to go to the gym in shorts and actually do a decent work out.

I have been told by so many of my friends and family that I shouldn't lose any more and that with my cheek bones sticking out I look sick. I just came back from the beech and saw this photo and all I can see is my flat chest and my ribs and hips sticking out.

Have I gone too far? Should I start working out? Should I wait until I'm 100% and have put on another kg or 2. Should I be trying to stop or let my body find its natural resting point?

I've come this far with this and because of years of yoyo dieting I'm really scared that if I stop losing now, I'll waste the "honeymoon period" and I'll pile it all back on again and then some. It's not easy to see the scales go up and not fear that its going to spiral out of control again. I don't know what to do. I'll post a couple of before and after pics and I really value totally honest opinions. Thank you.

post-32312-13813662105761_thumb.jpg

post-32312-13813662106222_thumb.jpg

post-32312-13813662106863_thumb.jpg

post-32312-1381366210746_thumb.jpg

post-32312-13813662107889_thumb.jpg

I really don't want anybody else to compare themselves with me. I got really sick and wouldn't wish that on anybody. The sleeve is a great way to lose weight. I've lost it far to quickly and now there are so many rumours going around work about me, like that I have breast cancer because I've had a double mastectomy, and tired and sick all the time and my hair is now so so thin. What should I do?

Hey mate - what will your BMI be at 58?

You look perfectly proportionate and healthy to me. It must've been a real shock for your family and friends to see you lose so quick. Maybe when they're saying 'don't lose anymore' they're gauging your reaction to make sure you're not planning on losing a heap more.

You look great (provided your BMI is healthy) You should be enjoying it! :)

Deano

My bmi is 21 at the moment. You're right. If I'd lost it over a year they'd be proud if me, but some family I hadn't seen since I had lost 40kg+ in 5ish months. It's the speed.

I think you look lovely. I have 3 daughters who are all slim and healthy and they look just like you in their swimsuits. Your hair will thicken up soon enough. After having glandular fever everyone takes quite a while to get on top of things again. Perhaps you could just tell people that you are not in the market for negative comments but compliments will be gratefully accepted.