Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Time Off Of Work?

Hi all,

I'm only just beginning the process of getting my band out and getting a sleeve. Can anyone say on average how long they waited before going back to work? I'm in a situation where I don't have many vacation days left (going on my honeymoon this week!). My supervisor and job overall are really great and understanding and will probably let me just go on disability for a week at most. I have a desk job where I don't do much labor but I do get up a lot to walk around and carry books/send mail (I work for a publisher). Any thoughts would be great...just doing research here I know everyone's recovery is different and I'm expecting at least a 3 day hospital stay...

Thanks.

I had surgery on the 27th and had initially taken a week and a half off. I was able to return to work two weeks after having surgery. I also have a desk job and know that it wouldn't be too strenuous. Remember though, its different for everyone so if you need additional time, take it and take care of you. Don't push yourself and good luck!

I went back after 2 weeks. today is my first day back and not problems.

I had surgery on Monday feb 27 and was back to work the following Monday March 5th....I own and oporate an indirect verizon Wireless Office so yes Desk Job but up and down alot, and packing freight and boxes of phones all day 6 days a week.

I also started back to my Water arobics just 2 1/2 weeks after surgery...3 X a week....It is the best exercise with the lowest physical harm to the body because you are boyant in the water....

Good Luck,

Gma of 4

In the past, I have always rushed back to work after operations and other bouts of ill health and on occasion have worked while in hospital. When I haven't been well enough to get into the office, I have worked at home.

Not this time! My health is the most important thing at the moment, so I am planning to take one month off from the date of the operation. My boss has made it amply clear that she doesn't appreciate the commitment, so why kill myself? I have never taken this attitude before and I can't be sure that my professional commitment, work ethic and habitual attitude will allow me to see it through, but that's my intention.

That said, I know I am very lucky to be in a job where I won't be fired and where there are generous sick leave arrangements (which hasn't always been the case in the past) and I honestly wish it were the same for everyone.

I took about 11 days, hoping that's enough!

I only took 10 days but I should've taken 3-4 weeks off. I've had a rough recovery.

I also have a desk job but I took the short term disability just to be on the safe side. I returned to work after 12 days post op but I only worked until 1 or 2 and then I was exhausted and needed to rest, I really didn’t get back 100% until the end of the 1st month but again everyone is different.

Unfortunately it's hard to tell someone how much time they should take. I took a week and a half. I felt great to go back. Desk job. Some ppl though have a more difficult recovery.

My surgeon told me to plan on 2 weeks. I figure when I go for my 2 week follow up, provided I'm feeling well, I will ask for a full release to return. My boss totally understands....being a workaholic, it is tough. I'll be checking email and doing a bit from home as I can.

I am planning on about four weeks off. I work in a somewhat physical environment. I was given four weeks off when I had my lapband put in back in '08, so I can't imagine taking less than that when they are going to actually cut so much of my stomach out.

I'm only planning a week out. I don't have the time and can't afford for then to replace me! My boss is awesome however and I'm sure if I need to work some 1/2days the following week we can work something out. I can also work from home. I can't wait to get the band out and get my life back on track - when I had my band in I was a stay at home mom, and didn't have to worry about work. now i'm a single mom and my job (that I love) is our lifeline.

I'm taking just a bit under 3 weeks. I probably could have gone back at two weeks, but I pulled a groin muscle (owie) and I'm still very tired and sleeping ten hours a day.

I went back after two weeks. I was very tired and I sipped 5 hour energy to make it through the first few days back at work. I was so tired. I felt almost back to normal at 3 weeks post op.

I work for an airline I am taking 4-6 weeks off