Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed Almanza Sleeve

Vickie-

I am so glad to hear the good news! Bless your heart for everything you've gone through and I'm thrilled to hear that your sleeve is working the way you need it to. I am so happy for you! Keep in touch

-Misty

Hi,

I am scheduled for a LapBand with Almanza in July. I had RNY already and have regained. I really want pouch revision or DS instead, but I've been told they don't "prefer" to do that. You are not the first person I've heard that has had sleeve revision or mentioned DS with Almanza so I'm not sure why I'm being told a band is my only option. Any suggestions?

I'm so glad to hear your revision went well and that you are back on track. That's all I want too.

Hi,

I am scheduled for a LapBand with Almanza in July. I had RNY already and have regained. I really want pouch revision or DS instead, but I've been told they don't "prefer" to do that. You are not the first person I've heard that has had sleeve revision or mentioned DS with Almanza so I'm not sure why I'm being told a band is my only option. Any suggestions?

I'm so glad to hear your revision went well and that you are back on track. That's all I want too.

I have heard of some RNY'ers revising to the duodenal switch and being much more successful. I have heard of successful "band over bypass" people. I guess I just would worry if I were you that the band is usually temporary (usually a maximum of 10 years, and that's if you're lucky, before the band gets taken off). If I were you, I'd get the DS. dr. Ponce de leon in Tijuana, if I am right, can do the duodenal switch. I have also heard of Dr. Ungson in Mexico who is supposed to be the best DS surgeon in Mexico. Maybe you can get in touch with him. I have heard that Dr. Almanza does the duodenal switch on occasion, as a matter of fact, i've read about it being done. However, I think it might be much more difficult for him to do the bypass to DS because perhaps he isn't experienced enough to do it confidently.

The band may work for you. Who knows? I just am saying personally I would choose the DS if you have the option to get it. It's got a much better chance of long term weight loss.

Hi,

I know from my past experience that under no terms would I ever have a lapband again, because there were way too many problems with mine. I was offered the Ds but when I got there they didn't want to do it at all or I'd prob have it today. I think the main reason that they didn't want to do it was because Dr. Almanza needed a second doctor to do it but he wasn't available to assist, the reason being that the drivers left me at airport for hours on end with no pickup so by time I arrived the doctor was prob gone home for the day. I am happy with the re-sleeve so far I have lost 25pounds, and really only need to lose bout 15more and then maintain. I talked with previous pts that had the DS and had done well but I think it all has to do with the second doctor being ready to assist in surgery. Someone like you would be a complicated surgery to switch to DS, why can't your pouch be made smaller. I wish you luck, and pray that a solution comes for you soon.

Hi,

Please don't get a lap-band. Please, please, please no. I'm down on my knees begging. I could go into a gazillion reasons why the band is never a good idea, and if you'd like to message me, I will. For now, please do your research. I had one for five years before my revision to the sleeve. Please don't get the band.

Thanks for replying. You are both reaffirming my gut feeling that a band isn't what I really want. I guess I'll ask one more time about other options. If they will only do lap band, I guess I should keep looking for a DS doctor.

Vicki, I'm no surgeon, but I don't understand why making my pouch smaller isn't an option either. It seems like it would be the same concept as sleeving without having to remove the stomach.

i'll keep looking into this, but I'm really having second thoughts. It sucks though because I've already spent almost $2500 on flights and deposits.

I don't understand the use of the band with the bypass so I guess I shouldn't comment on whether it works.

However, as a 10 year band veteran, I think they suck and would not recommend it.

You may know this already, but on obesity help they have a list of "DS" docs that the veterans maintain. DS is a very complex surgery and your odds are so much better with the preapproved doctors.

Vickie, I am so glad you got resleeved and are doing well! Yea!!! It does shock me though that the choice of surgery was made by whether there was a second surgeon there at the time. DS has a longer recovery and is a riskier surgery - I would not be comfortable with it being a "maybe" until the last minute! Sounds like it all worked out for the best in the end though.

I'm concerned that people automatically blame the surgeon. My mother in law had a bypass and lost her weight and has gained it back - not because the surgeon failed' date=' but she refuses to eat correctly. I am NOT saying that this is the case with this person, however, once again, the sleeve is not a guarantee There was weightloss, which means there was restriction. Is there no longer restriction? Have you had an xray to see if your stomach is stretched?

Have you followed a low calorie diet? Have you been exercising?

This is not necessarily the surgeon's fault or the patients. Sometimes the body chemistry is such that this procedure does not work - just like other procedures. But this does not mean that any person is at fault.

I know that the person that's in this situation is upset, I would be too. However, just blaming someone whose work was basically done when you left the hospital and you did have weight loss isn't a good idea in my opinion. You don't have to like my opinion, but I think its worth listening to. Again, I never said it was the poster's fault - but its something to reflect on - are you following a proper diet? If you are, then you might want to see an endocrinologist to find out if there's something else going on - you might have a severe thyroid issue going on that is affecting you. It might not be a problem with the sleeve at all.[/quote']

It's 10% surgery, 90 % hard work.

dr. Ponce de leon in Tijuana does the DS he is amazing! i had my sleeve with him yesterday, and I know he is the one that trained Dr. Almanza and many other surgeons and continues to do so. I would also suggest you do not do the lapband my friends aunt almost died recently from complications of it a year post-op. there are many other options out there. If Dr. Almanza does not feel comfortable doing them, I know he often asks for Dr. Ponce assistance, but you can always go directly with him. If you want his contact info please let me know, I will be glad to send it your way. Good luck in your journey!

For Dr. Ponce go to the WLS site and talk to Trish. She is fantastic. I have her phone number if you would rather call. She lives in MX and deals directly with Dr. Ponce. I am having the sleeve done in July with Dr. Ponce and like the person said earlier Dr Ponce taught a lot of the doctors. I met him and he does not speak much english but his team does and Trish is with you every step of the way and will interpret. I am having surgery at INT and Trish took me to meet the doctor and see the hospital. It is small but very clean and the nurses were very nice.I'm lucky that I live in SD so I could check things out personally first. Any questions just ask