Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I like that the premise of this thread is who you are outside of your weight. When you get too wrapped up in one thing, you tend to forget all of the other things about yourself. That said, I'll start off with my backstory and end with my weight struggles and decision to get sleeved.

My name is Lee. I'm a 30 year old male. I belong to the United Houma Nation (Native American Tribe) Born and raised in St. Bernard Parish, LA (just outside of new orleans). I grew up in a small fishing community right on the gulf coast and moved to the suburbs of New Orleans when I "grew up", lol. Never should have moved. Miss the fishing community lifestyle, but my parents still live there so I get to visit often. I have a beautiful wife of 7 years (plus the 8 we dated before marrying!) and an amazing 4 year old son. I work with children (juvenile delinquents to be exact). My job can be stressful and difficult, but when it is rewarding, it is VERY rewarding. I'd be lying if I said every child can turn their life around, but some can. When it happens, it's extremely gratifying.

Outside of work I'm an automotive fanatic. I like big trucks and fast cars. I own a lifted 2011 F-250 that I mostly use to go to and from work, but it does double duty hauling my race car to the drag strip. My drag car is a 2006 Mustang GT that is completely built for racing (NOT a street car). Full suspension, slicks and skinnies, 600 hp. I love working on that car. It is my zen. If I'm laying on the garage floor under that car with oil and grease all over my arms, I'm in heaven. While I love drag racing, NASCAR bores the hell out of me, so don't bother asking who my favorite driver is, haha.

So that's the important parts of who I am, now to get to my weight issuse and the reason I joined this forum. I've been heavy since I was about 11 years old. I had a troubled childhood. My home life was great, but I was awkward and just didn't "fit in" most other places. As a result, I was subjected to the most horrific bullying and abuse. I suspect food became my comfort...

At 14 years old, I weighed 200 lbs. I decided to make a change. I started running every day and changed the way I ate. By the time I was 15, I was 150 lbs and happy. Fast forward...

At 18 years old, I weighed 250 lbs. I decided to make a change. I started running again and discovered Atkins. By the time I was 19, I was 170 lbs. and happy. Fast forward...

At 21 years old, I was again 250 lbs. I decided to make a change. I started exercising and eating better. A few months later, I was 180 lbs. and happy. Fast forward...

At 27 years old, I was up to 269 lbs. I decided to make a change. I did P90X (twice in a row!) and ate better. By the time I was 28, I was down to 220 lbs, but not really happy. Fast forward...

On August 27th, 2013, I watched my son blow out four candles on his birthday cake. I thought about the way I felt. I thought about my hypertension, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes and fatty liver. I got on the scale for the first time in weeks. I nearly cried when I saw 292 lbs. (and I know that I had been even heavier the week before). I thought about the chances that I would see my son graduate high school, college, get married. I thought about leaving my beautiful, amazing, healthy wife behind to raise him on her own. Finally, I thought about all of the research I had done on the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I realized that weight loss was not something I could do on my own, and I admitted that I need help. I scheduled a WLS seminar and now I have hope.

I attended my WLS seminar with DR. David Treen on September 5th. Yesterday, September 12th, I went to my surgical consultation. My nutritional class is scheduled for September 27th and my surgery is scheduled for Oct. 14th. I'm going into this fully aware that the surgery is a tool and that I have to use it to my advantage as best as possible. I can't believe how fast it's all happening and I'm as excited as I am nervous. I'm so glad this forum is here. Thank you.

I like that the premise of this thread is who you are outside of your weight. When you get too wrapped up in one thing, you tend to forget all of the other things about yourself. That said, I'll start off with my backstory and end with my weight struggles and decision to get sleeved.

My name is Lee. I'm a 30 year old male. I belong to the United Houma Nation (Native American Tribe) Born and raised in St. Bernard Parish, LA (just outside of new orleans). I grew up in a small fishing community right on the gulf coast and moved to the suburbs of New Orleans when I "grew up", lol. Never should have moved. Miss the fishing community lifestyle, but my parents still live there so I get to visit often. I have a beautiful wife of 7 years (plus the 8 we dated before marrying!) and an amazing 4 year old son. I work with children (juvenile delinquents to be exact). My job can be stressful and difficult, but when it is rewarding, it is VERY rewarding. I'd be lying if I said every child can turn their life around, but some can. When it happens, it's extremely gratifying.

Outside of work I'm an automotive fanatic. I like big trucks and fast cars. I own a lifted 2011 F-250 that I mostly use to go to and from work, but it does double duty hauling my race car to the drag strip. My drag car is a 2006 Mustang GT that is completely built for racing (NOT a street car). Full suspension, slicks and skinnies, 600 hp. I love working on that car. It is my zen. If I'm laying on the garage floor under that car with oil and grease all over my arms, I'm in heaven. While I love drag racing, NASCAR bores the hell out of me, so don't bother asking who my favorite driver is, haha.

So that's the important parts of who I am, now to get to my weight issuse and the reason I joined this forum. I've been heavy since I was about 11 years old. I had a troubled childhood. My home life was great, but I was awkward and just didn't "fit in" most other places. As a result, I was subjected to the most horrific bullying and abuse. I suspect food became my comfort...

At 14 years old, I weighed 200 lbs. I decided to make a change. I started running every day and changed the way I ate. By the time I was 15, I was 150 lbs and happy. Fast forward...

At 18 years old, I weighed 250 lbs. I decided to make a change. I started running again and discovered Atkins. By the time I was 19, I was 170 lbs. and happy. Fast forward...

At 21 years old, I was again 250 lbs. I decided to make a change. I started exercising and eating better. A few months later, I was 180 lbs. and happy. Fast forward...

At 27 years old, I was up to 269 lbs. I decided to make a change. I did P90X (twice in a row!) and ate better. By the time I was 28, I was down to 220 lbs, but not really happy. Fast forward...

On August 27th, 2013, I watched my son blow out four candles on his birthday cake. I thought about the way I felt. I thought about my hypertension, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes and fatty liver. I got on the scale for the first time in weeks. I nearly cried when I saw 292 lbs. (and I know that I had been even heavier the week before). I thought about the chances that I would see my son graduate high school, college, get married. I thought about leaving my beautiful, amazing, healthy wife behind to raise him on her own. Finally, I thought about all of the research I had done on the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I realized that weight loss was not something I could do on my own, and I admitted that I need help. I scheduled a WLS seminar and now I have hope.

I attended my WLS seminar with DR. David Treen on September 5th. Yesterday, September 12th, I went to my surgical consultation. My nutritional class is scheduled for September 27th and my surgery is scheduled for Oct. 14th. I'm going into this fully aware that the surgery is a tool and that I have to use it to my advantage as best as possible. I can't believe how fast it's all happening and I'm as excited as I am nervous. I'm so glad this forum is here. Thank you.

Loved your story! I think everyone here can relate to the loss/ regain scenarios you described and the frustrations it all entails.

I just wanted to tell you that I can tell from reading your post that I really think you will do well and I look forward to the day when you can come back on here and post a NSV (non-scale victory) about being able to glide under one of your race cars to fix something with little or no blocks needed because you were so thin!

My little brother loves race cars also. Don't ask me what kind but if I were to guess I think they are Sprint cars. He goes to Indiana for some national event there every year.

Best of luck to you!

I am a traveling notary in Florida, currently separated from my DH. I have two grown sons and a stepson that I will continue to claim as mine forever.

I'm 45 and just bought my first ever house alone!! I've been moving for days, so have been offline for a few days.

I've been self employed for 10+ years and I love it!

I see, read, live to garden and do DIY projects, and I am an aspiring writer. Someday...

Lissa

I have thought about trying to be a notary but I'm scared! I work in the loan industry so I know I could do it but the safety of my job is scary to leave. How many hours do you work?

Loved your story! I think everyone here can relate to the loss/ regain scenarios you described and the frustrations it all entails.

I just wanted to tell you that I can tell from reading your post that I really think you will do well and I look forward to the day when you can come back on here and post a NSV (non-scale victory) about being able to glide under one of your race cars to fix something with little or no blocks needed because you were so thin!

My little brother loves race cars also. Don't ask me what kind but if I were to guess I think they are Sprint cars. He goes to Indiana for some national event there every year.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks! Honestly, I only included the major loss/gains from my history. If I chronicled all of the ups and downs, I would probably have gained and lost over a thousand lbs. in my life. I appreciate the kind words. I'm not really into the sprint car scene, but I know a lot of people who are. I guess my non-surgical victory will be my 1/4 mile times after I get a lot of unnecessary weight out of my car. ;)

Oops. I meant non-scale victory, lol.

Thanks to everyone for sharing who they are and what makes you happy. Getting back to the basics of the members is not a given in these online communities, and I really appreciate the openness of the members here.

So....here I go! I am only one week post-op, so I am really a newbie, but am feeling great and grateful this opportunity is available.

I am a young and energetic 54 year old. I was a fat kid and lost it as a teenager and it didn't come back until I became a MOM and the weight crept up on me slowly. I am a real foodie and love to cook and explore ethnic cuisine, so somehow I turned around and found myself OBESE with diabetes, high blood pressure and nothing seemed to work for me, so I got sleeved!

I work in marketing communications and social media for a wonderful company in Israel that is franchised in 34 countries, teaching English to kids the same way they learn their mother tongue. I am divorced many years, but live with my soul mate in the mountains of the Galilee, Israel and together we have SIX wonderful daughters and a granddaughter, none of whom live with us full time. Our lovable schnoodle and tortoiseshell cat keep us company though. My guy is a green builder, and he built us an incredible house which I absolutely LOVE!

Oh! I am also a singer and sing mostly folk rock.

Keep up the good (and HARD) work all of us!

Is there a way to edit after posting? My man is a green BUILDER (not a building) B)

(I edited it thanks to the help of a couple of community members. Thanks! I didn't see the "edit" button as it looks grayed-out.)

Awesome idea...my name is Jorge and have been married to my Beautiful wife for 7 years and we have two awesome boys (age 6 and 20 months). I live Chicago-South Burbs and work for a fortune 500 company (11 years) in the northern suburb as a Quality Manager. I get to travel all over the world which haa been very exciting....(Germany, Mexico, Malaysia, Asia, Brazil) to name several international cool places I was fortunate enough to visit. I have traveled all around the US. I'm targeting Australia for a family vaction within two years. I started my career here as a software engineer and it's been a fantastic ride so far!!

Hi I'm new, no sleeve yet waiting for a date. Being sleeved in buffalo but I am Canadian . I am a recent widow - married for 30 great years/53 yrs old. I am a realtor need some encouragement as I doing this all by my lonesome but very excited .

Yoga Lady, good for you! It is a really tough decision and I am only 8 days post-op. We are about the same age and I can relate to how hard (impossible) it is to lose weight. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Do you have a good support system? I have found that is very important, maybe more important than anything else.

Not sure where to start with this site - other than "IT IS TIME..." Fighting out of Rocklin, CA This man stands 6' tall and weighing in at 393lbs. He is the current parent champion to 2 beatiful children and husband to a recent "sleevie" - he is Eric D. Rosburg!

Too long have I stood on the fence making excuses for my size. Once I went over 400lbs, I knew it was time for a major change. Three years ago, I was ready for surgery, but tobacco use kept me for seriously considering. Now 303 days removed from my last chew and ready for success.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet that they're created that has foods suggested listed out?

Thanks,

Eric

Love this thread!!! :D

Name is Kelly, I'm 44 and married to a wonderful, loving and supportive man, Curtiss. We have been married 8 years this month, together 13. I have one biological son, Ethan, he's 17 and the light of my life. When Curt and I married, I was lucky enough to have 5 new children to love. We have two grandchildren and love the whole grandparent thing!

I'm a legal secretary, have been for the last 22 years, I currently work for the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office, working in the Police Litigation Division for the last 13 years. Any time the City or LAPD is sued civially, we defend. Total job security at this point...LOL. I love my job and enjoy the work.

I'm originally from Wyoming, my parents and two of my siblings still reside there. Curt is from Tennessee and that is where is family is at. Both make a nice place for vacations. We are looking to relocate to TN after Curt retires in 3 years. I love Wyoming but he just shudders at the LONG winters.

I love to read, watch movies, go hiking, camping & fishing.

I am so excited for this journey, don't have a surgery date yet, just beginning the process with Kaiser, should be looking at a January date. :)

Hello! My name is Heather. I'm 36, married to a teacher and have have two wonderful step sons - 17 and 14- who I love very much!

I am a nurse in the Medical ICU and I love my job! Nursing was a second career for me so going back to school was the hardest thing i have ever done. I am so proud that i accomplished that goal!

I love ALL THINGS CREATIVE! I am a big paper crafter, have started dabbling in photography, and hope to get back to some simple sewing projects I used to enjoy. I also love to cook and am a total foodie... I have been learning more about my relationship with food and am learning to appreciate one amazing bite instead of the whole plate of everything.

We have two cats I'm totally obsessed with- a gray and brown tabby named Renegade and a marmelade named General Sterling Price;)

My husband and I are both scheduled to be sleeved in two weeks on sept 30, 2013! I am a little anxious as my 17 yo and I are traveling for a couple days this week for college visits and Im so nervous about gaining when Im out of my routine- my final weigh in with doc is 6 days before surgery and I have been told in no uncertain terms if you gain, they will cancel (postpone?) your surgery! Yikes! We live in Western NY and are being sleeved by Dr. Aaron Hoffman. I was actually banded in 2010 and lost nearly 70lbs (pre and post op put together)... I experienced some rough times in my personal life and family and my new found healthy lifestyle went to hell. I had tried many times to get back in the saddle with little success. In March of this year my husband went to see Dr. Hoffman about bariatric surgery-- he recommended the sleee for my husband and told me he was doing band to sleeve revisions with tremendous success- so here we are!

After reading many introductions (but not all of them yet), it sounds like there are so many interesting people on here and I look forward to learning more about you and your journey!

post-38582-13813670158926_thumb.jpg Swimsuit After Pic Sept 21.zipHi my name is Angie and I am 49 years old with two children. I am so excited to share my story. I had my surgery July 2011. I started out at 242 lbs and now I way 191 lbs. I have attached before pictures and I am so proud of my progress. I feel amazing and have the energy level of a 20 year old, I keep up with my sons 18 & 22 now. I consider myself an athlete, I workout at the gym 4 times a week, and get any for of exercise (walking the dog, taking the stairs, riding the bike) every day. My health has improved so much, my diabetes is gone and the hypertension although it remains (genetic I think) requires only a very low dose of medications. So for you that are deciding to have the surgery or just getting started, I swear it is the best thing that I could have done for myself. I will say that the hanging skin is yuck, but with the right foundations and clothes I manage to hide it. I considered plastic surgery, but that $10,000 price tag cancelled that thought. My surgeon told me he could feel my muscle tone and to keep doing what I was doing at the gym and the skin may not go away, but it does look better if you have muscle tone. From my pictures, I think you will agree that exercise is working. Good luck to everyone, I really enjoy reading your stories and I hope I motivated someone else.

Hello everyone! Mine name is Lindie. I am 40 years old, married and I have one child. I am new to this forum. I had my Vertical Sleeve surgery on September 16, 2013, and I am so excited to start this new journey in my life. My starting weight on the morning of my surgery was 237 lbs., and as of this morning I am weighing in at 226 lbs.. I am really looking forward to being healthier, keeping up with my very busy son and shopping in the smaller clothing section. :D