Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All...I'm Brian. Just found out about this site today and having the surgery on Thursday.

I was always the “Fat” kid. I was perennially picked last for the teams at school and camp, frequently turned down for school dances and weekend dates, and we won’t even go into being the fat kid who was saddled with the initials BM. Growing up was not a cakewalk.

But here’s the thing…I wasn’t fat!

I may have been “husky” but I wasn’t fat.

I may have been slightly pudgy, but never fat.

I was a big kid with a big build to be sure, but I wasn’t fat.

If you look at pictures of me in elementary school and high school…I wasn’t fat. I just wasn’t “thin” and when you combine that with average looks, the “cool” kids pigeonhole you as “the fat kid”.

Now to be fair, I come from a long line of fat asses. My mom my was fat, like her father before her and his father before him. I come by it honestly. So if I REALLY wanted to, I could say I was genetically enhanced to be fat. Gaga would say I was just “born that way”.

I’ve been thinking a lot about it lately and I have to tell you, I don’t buy into it…I believe the weight I carry with me at age 41 is not just physical, but mental.

I was bullied at a young age into believing I was the “fat” kid. I was cajoled and conditioned and eventually accepted the fact that I was the “fat” kid who was bad at sports and socially awkward. I honed my sense of humor to quickly disarm those who would “attack” me. Taking pot shots at myself would render my adolescent tormentors without ammunition, and ultimately I learned how to make my fat skin thick.

I discovered acting at a young age and fell in love. For 2 hours, I didn’t have to be seen or known as “Brian The Fat” but “Brian The Actor” who played to perfection loudmouthed, slightly pudgy characters like Nathan Detroit, Daddy Warbucks, Psedulous and countless others!

I eventually became part of a high school rock band and sang…I was not “Brian The Fat” but “Brian The Singer”. I played in other bands over the years as a drummer. It helped that sitting behind a kit would also hide the increasingly larger “Brian The Fat”, that would show up soon as the last song was finished.

But unfortunately by that time, the damage was already done to my psyche. “Brian The Fat” was not only large, but now in charge.

Now, this isn’t a sad story. Those early years; for better or for worse, shaped and molded me to who I am today, which is pretty damn good. I have an awesome marriage with my wife Michele, after realizing as an adult that bullies are always going to be bullies no matter what the age, we have a wonderful group of friends and after opening a business at the worst economic time possible, I have managed to increasingly grow it and watch it become successful.

For years, I embraced and to a point celebrated my increasing weight. I changed my moniker from “Brian The Fat” to “Brian The Fat Ass” and joked about it openly. I once embarrassed the crap out of my wife at a Dillard’s Department Store while we were on vacation in Florida. We walked in and I asked the very nice salesperson where “The fat ass section” was.

But now I’m REALLY fat, weighing it at a hefty 315 pounds. I’m the picture of health for a fat ass, and if there is such a thing, I wear my weight well. I don’t look like I weigh as much as I do.

But any way I try and spin it, 315 pounds is morbidly obese and not the picture of health. It has slowly taken a toll my knees and my back…it makes it difficult to shop for clothes and impedes my job as a photographer.

I remember for years talking to Mom about her weight and saying “just don’t eat this” or “eat less of that”. She would always say that “it’s not that easy…” and I remember thinking “well, how hard could it be?”

I found out in the last 10 years…it’s pretty damned hard.

I, like my mother before me, have tried every diet out there. Weight Watchers, Medifast, Atkins, etc. They have all worked with varying degrees of success, but the weight ultimately came back. For no other reason than “well, if I have just ONE…” Sadly, it doesn’t end with just one. Most of the time, it doesn’t end with two or three either.

People who’ve never struggled with weight don’t understand why “you can’t just eat less and exercise more”? I never really had answer for them until recently when I started thinking long and hard about how I got here.

When it came to these “lose weight fast” diets, I always felt that if I can train my body to be happy with X amount of food, it would just learn how to do without; the same way I trained my body that it no longer needed nicotine. Eat less, stomach shrinks, EASY!

Except it’s not.

The problem is you’re constantly battling your memories and habits that have formed from them.

Had a bad day? Nothing an ice cream cone or Tastykake can’t fix. It’s only a small detour…I’ll start the diet again tomorrow.

Eating dinner out with friends…having a dinner roll or two, followed by an appetizer, meal and dessert has ALWAYS been the norm. I’ll just do it tonight and I’ll start the diet again tomorrow.

It all adds up.

The meals, the safe harbor foods, lack of exercise because you’re just not one of those people who enjoy anything but walking (and yes, I’ve tried!)… A lifetime of events and mental luggage that has now taken up residence around my midsection.

For the last couple of years, I have been investigating and considering bariatric surgery. I have seen it do wonderful things for both family and friends and thought maybe it could do the for me. But I wasn’t 100% sold on the bypass side of things, and I also had heard too many horror stories about the lap band. I went to information sessions, did a lot of testing and met with Abington Bariatric Surgeon Dr. Gintaras Antanaviscus (don’t even try…just call him Dr. G).

While yes, it will help me lose weight and keep it off…there is an entire mental side that needs to be dealt with as well. I’ve spent a lifetime being “Brian The Fat.” It’s so much a part of who I am…so it’s going to be a long road to not look in the mirror and see him looking back. It’s going to be an interesting ride to say the least. Luckily there are support groups for people who have had this surgery, and I have a very loving wife and family who are there to support me as well.

Exercise is going to have to be part of the life in this new body. The nice thing is that I’ll be able to walk more than 2 miles without my knees and back hurting. Hell, I may even be able to do more than 1 pushup without feeling like I’m ready to pass out. I truly enjoy walking, and I’m excited that I’ll be able to do more of it. I won’t be doing a couch to 5k or anything like close to that. I’ve never enjoyed running and never will. You people who do it are just nuts :)

There is no such thing as a “happily ever after” when it comes to something like this. I know there will be days I’ll be frustrated that I won’t be able to fully enjoy a meal at Capital Grille, but the tradeoff for that is not having to worry if I need to buy a second seat on an airplane. Sure, I won’t be able to eat but a few bites of an ice cream cone anymore, but the tradeoff for that is that I can shop in any clothing store now, and wear clothes that I actually like…rather than just buying something because it fits.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice one slice of happy for another.

So…that’s the story. I don’t know what the next year to 18 months will bring…but I know that at the very least I’ll have added time to live (provided I don’t get hit by a bus) the life I’ve made with Michele.

That alone is worth the price of admission.

Hi All...I'm Brian. Just found out about this site today and having the surgery on Thursday.

I was always the “Fat” kid. I was perennially picked last for the teams at school and camp' date=' frequently turned down for school dances and weekend dates, and we won’t even go into being the fat kid who was saddled with the initials BM. Growing up was not a cakewalk.

If you look at pictures of me in elementary school and high school…I wasn’t fat. I just wasn’t “thin” and when you combine that with average looks, the “cool” kids pigeonhole you as “the fat kid”.

Now to be fair, I come from a long line of fat asses. My mom my was fat, like her father before her and his father before him. I come by it honestly. So if I REALLY wanted to, I could say I was genetically enhanced to be fat. Gaga would say I was just “born that way”.

I’ve been thinking a lot about it lately and I have to tell you, I don’t buy into it…I believe the weight I carry with me at age 41 is not just physical, but mental.

I was bullied at a young age into believing I was the “fat” kid. I was cajoled and conditioned and eventually accepted the fact that I was the “fat” kid who was bad at sports and socially awkward. I honed my sense of humor to quickly disarm those who would “attack” me. Taking pot shots at myself would render my adolescent tormentors without ammunition, and ultimately I learned how to make my fat skin thick.

I discovered acting at a young age and fell in love. For 2 hours, I didn’t have to be seen or known as “Brian The Fat” but “Brian The Actor” who played to perfection loudmouthed, slightly pudgy characters like Nathan Detroit, Daddy Warbucks, Psedulous and countless others!

I eventually became part of a high school rock band and sang…I was not “Brian The Fat” but “Brian The Singer”. I played in other bands over the years as a drummer. It helped that sitting behind a kit would also hide the increasingly larger “Brian The Fat”, that would show up soon as the last song was finished.

But unfortunately by that time, the damage was already done to my psyche. “Brian The Fat” was not only large, but now in charge.

Now, this isn’t a sad story. Those early years; for better or for worse, shaped and molded me to who I am today, which is pretty damn good. I have an awesome marriage with my wife Michele, after realizing as an adult that bullies are always going to be bullies no matter what the age, we have a wonderful group of friends and after opening a business at the worst economic time possible, I have managed to increasingly grow it and watch it become successful.

For years, I embraced and to a point celebrated my increasing weight. I changed my moniker from “Brian The Fat” to “Brian The Fat Ass” and joked about it openly. I once embarrassed the crap out of my wife at a Dillard’s Department Store while we were on vacation in Florida. We walked in and I asked the very nice salesperson where “The fat ass section” was.

But now I’m REALLY fat, weighing it at a hefty 315 pounds. I’m the picture of health for a fat ass, and if there is such a thing, I wear my weight well. I don’t look like I weigh as much as I do.

But any way I try and spin it, 315 pounds is morbidly obese and not the picture of health. It has slowly taken a toll my knees and my back…it makes it difficult to shop for clothes and impedes my job as a photographer.

I remember for years talking to Mom about her weight and saying “just don’t eat this” or “eat less of that”. She would always say that “it’s not that easy…” and I remember thinking “well, how hard could it be?”

I, like my mother before me, have tried every diet out there. Weight Watchers, Medifast, Atkins, etc. They have all worked with varying degrees of success, but the weight ultimately came back. For no other reason than “well, if I have just ONE…” Sadly, it doesn’t end with just one. Most of the time, it doesn’t end with two or three either.

People who’ve never struggled with weight don’t understand why “you can’t just eat less and exercise more”? I never really had answer for them until recently when I started thinking long and hard about how I got here.

When it came to these “lose weight fast” diets, I always felt that if I can train my body to be happy with X amount of food, it would just learn how to do without; the same way I trained my body that it no longer needed nicotine. Eat less, stomach shrinks, EASY!

Except it’s not.

The problem is you’re constantly battling your memories and habits that have formed from them.

Had a bad day? Nothing an ice cream cone or Tastykake can’t fix. It’s only a small detour…I’ll start the diet again tomorrow.

Eating dinner out with friends…having a dinner roll or two, followed by an appetizer, meal and dessert has ALWAYS been the norm. I’ll just do it tonight and I’ll start the diet again tomorrow.

It all adds up.

The meals, the safe harbor foods, lack of exercise because you’re just not one of those people who enjoy anything but walking (and yes, I’ve tried!)… A lifetime of events and mental luggage that has now taken up residence around my midsection.

For the last couple of years, I have been investigating and considering bariatric surgery. I have seen it do wonderful things for both family and friends and thought maybe it could do the for me. But I wasn’t 100% sold on the bypass side of things, and I also had heard too many horror stories about the lap band. I went to information sessions, did a lot of testing and met with Abington Bariatric Surgeon Dr. Gintaras Antanaviscus (don’t even try…just call him Dr. G).

While yes, it will help me lose weight and keep it off…there is an entire mental side that needs to be dealt with as well. I’ve spent a lifetime being “Brian The Fat.” It’s so much a part of who I am…so it’s going to be a long road to not look in the mirror and see him looking back. It’s going to be an interesting ride to say the least. Luckily there are support groups for people who have had this surgery, and I have a very loving wife and family who are there to support me as well.

Exercise is going to have to be part of the life in this new body. The nice thing is that I’ll be able to walk more than 2 miles without my knees and back hurting. Hell, I may even be able to do more than 1 pushup without feeling like I’m ready to pass out. I truly enjoy walking, and I’m excited that I’ll be able to do more of it. I won’t be doing a couch to 5k or anything like close to that. I’ve never enjoyed running and never will. You people who do it are just nuts :)

There is no such thing as a “happily ever after” when it comes to something like this. I know there will be days I’ll be frustrated that I won’t be able to fully enjoy a meal at Capital Grille, but the tradeoff for that is not having to worry if I need to buy a second seat on an airplane. Sure, I won’t be able to eat but a few bites of an ice cream cone anymore, but the tradeoff for that is that I can shop in any clothing store now, and wear clothes that I actually like…rather than just buying something because it fits.

So…that’s the story. I don’t know what the next year to 18 months will bring…but I know that at the very least I’ll have added time to live (provided I don’t get hit by a bus) the life I’ve made with Michele.

That alone is worth the price of admission.[/quote']

Very well put! Welcome to the site Brian! Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

I was always the “Fat” kid. I was perennially picked last for the teams at school and camp' date=' frequently turned down for school dances and weekend dates, and we won’t even go into being the fat kid who was saddled with the initials BM. Growing up was not a cakewalk.

Except it’s not.

It all adds up.

That alone is worth the price of admission.[/quote']

Congrats with your decision Brian, as you will learn here you are not alone, welcome to the family! I was sleeved on July 12, 2013 and has been a pleasant journey.... Good Luck on your surgery day and may God guide your doctors hand...

Sent from my iPad using VST

My name is DeVonte I'm 19 years old, currently a college student at a near by community college, My surgery date is August 21. I actually wrote my story out on the "my story" tab, that's it I guess lol.

My name is DeVonte I'm 19 years old, currently a college student at a near by community college, My surgery date is August 21. I actually wrote my story out on the "my story" tab, that's it I guess lol.

Welcome DeVonte! Congrats on your surgery date, my surgery is the 19! :)

Welcome DeVonte! Congrats on your surgery date, my surgery is the 19! :)

congratulations, I hope everything goes well for you.

My name is DeVonte I'm 19 years old' date=' currently a college student at a near by community college, My surgery date is August 21. I actually wrote my story out on the "my story" tab, that's it I guess lol.[/quote']

Tons of luck on your surgery !

Hi, my name is Peggy. I'm 63 years old & a retired RN. I live near Covington, Washington, with my husband of 30 years, our two grown sons (will they ever move out?) & five dogs.

I’ve been overweight to obese all of my life. I recall that I was switched to nonfat milk when I was 6. I was put on my first “doctor-supervised” diet with amphetamines & sit-ups & other exercises when I was 12, more than 50 years ago. At that time I was 5’ 2” & went from 139 pounds down to 111. Of course it didn’t stay off. I don’t remember all of the diets & exercise programs I did. By the time I graduated from nursing school I was 5’ 7” & around 200 pounds. A couple of years later I went on the Adkins diet & lost 38 pounds, from 201 down to 163 & actually stayed there for a couple of years. Back in the mid-70s I did look into weight loss surgery. At that time the only real option was intestinal bypass & I’m glad I didn’t have it done. Most people who did have it died within 5-10 years. I do remember weighing 228 pounds then, so my BMI was 38. I didn’t have any co-morbidities, so I would not have qualified by today’s medical necessity criteria.

When I got married I weighed about 250 pounds & was still that weight after my two sons were born 1 & 3 years later. I did develop gestational diabetes with both pregnancies & was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 1992 & hypertension in 1997.

I’ve known about gastric bypass for quite a few years & would have met the criteria for coverage by my insurance, but, especially as a nurse, I’m just not comfortable with the malabsorption aspects.So I was resigned to living the rest of my life like this. But I’ve had increasing problems with arthritis in my knees & pain in my right sacroiliac joint. I can’t walk for very long without having to sit for a few minutes while the pain subsides, so last fall I did more research & learned about the sleeve gastrectomy. It just seemed like the perfect “fit” for me.

I had my first visit with my bariatric surgeon on April 25, 2013, & started the pre-op high Protein, low carb diet & all of the testing he requires. I got clearance by a psychologist & a cardiologist & met with a nutritionist 4 times, did a one-week trial of the clear liquid diet &, Monday, I got my surgery date - August 22! I started this journey at 303 pounds on April 25 & today I am 274.7 , a loss so far of 28.3 pounds. I do have to do the Clear liquids plus 4-5 Protein shakes a day for two weeks before surgery. I would not be surprised to lose another 10 pounds or so by surgery day.

Greetings, everyone! I'm David, and I was "sleeved" on November 15, 2012, and this has been an incredible journey thus far. I, like many others, have been obese for a significant portion of my life, and in August 2012, I decided I was going to be proactive and do something about it. I made this decision when I was confronted with the stark reality that I weighed over 500 pounds. At my heaviest, in fact, I weighed 513.1 lbs. Though I knew I was extremely overweight, I avoided ever weighing myself until that point, but when I did, at that moment I decided to take my life into my hands.

I attended an introductory seminar learning about the various surgeries and opted to go with the sleeve, as I felt it was a little less invasive than the bypass. I scheduled my surgery for mid-November, and prior to surgery in the months leading up to it, I lost about 60 pounds.

Since surgery, I have not had any major hiccups and, for the most part, things have been going very well. I recently learned of this community and decided to join, share my story with others, and be inspired by the stories of others. Since I began this journey roughly one year ago, I have lost approximately 225 pounds; I still have a little way to go until I reach my ultimate goal between 200-225 pounds, but I am excited to have made it to this point.

With that being said, I look forward to reading of everyone's experiences! :)

Hello!

My name is Jennifer and I am 29 years old. I work for a research base nutrition company as a lead customer service representative. I had my surgery July 8, 2103 and have lost 30lbs so far.

I have a big blended family (8 siblings biologicial, step, and half all mixed into one). Obesity runs in my family. I had always been the "skinny" one growing up. I was very active. I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer when I was 19. Gained over 100lbs within a year. I started to feel sorry for myself and ate my feelings like no tomorrow. My mom, sister, and brother all had the gastric bypass surgery. I told myself I wouldn't go that route because I won't get THAT heavy. I was 280lbs at my heaviest. I knew my life needed to change and I said, "I don't want to be like this anymore". I started going to the gym, eating better, not snacking as much. I was able to lose 40lbs on my own then plateaued. No matter what I did, I couldn't lose anymore. UGH! So, this past year and a half I went through the process of getting the surgery done. After dealing with insurance changes I was able to have my surgery July 8, 2013. I'm glad I made this decision. I'm starting slowly onto soft foods now. I've already learned not to do the "one more spoonful". OUCH!!! I still need to get into individual counseling to help with the emotional and mental cravings. I'm proud of you all for making that step and look forward to sharing this journey with everyone!

Hello!

My name is Jennifer and I am 29 years old. I work for a research base nutrition company as a lead customer service representative. I had my surgery July 8' date=' 2103 and have lost 30lbs so far.

I have a big blended family (8 siblings biologicial, step, and half all mixed into one). Obesity runs in my family. I had always been the "skinny" one growing up. I was very active. I was diagnosed with Papillary Thyroid Cancer when I was 19. Gained over 100lbs within a year. I started to feel sorry for myself and ate my feelings like no tomorrow. My mom, sister, and brother all had the gastric bypass surgery. I told myself I wouldn't go that route because I won't get THAT heavy. I was 280lbs at my heaviest. I knew my life needed to change and I said, "I don't want to be like this anymore". I started going to the gym, eating better, not snacking as much. I was able to lose 40lbs on my own then plateaued. No matter what I did, I couldn't lose anymore. UGH! So, this past year and a half I went through the process of getting the surgery done. After dealing with insurance changes I was able to have my surgery July 8, 2013. I'm glad I made this decision. I'm starting slowly onto soft foods now. I've already learned not to do the "one more spoonful". OUCH!!! I still need to get into individual counseling to help with the emotional and mental cravings. I'm proud of you all for making that step and look forward to sharing this journey with everyone![/quote']

Good Luck Jenny, Blessings

I'm 41, married for 6 years and mom to a wonderfully feisty 3 yr old girl. I work for Con-way Freight and am finally finishing my degree. I'll have my BSB with a concentration in Integrated Supply Chain and Operations Mgmt next September.

I have two younger sisters who are my best friends and love the closeness of our family. Family is everything.

My husband and I spend our free time watching the world through the eyes of a preschooler, but cherish our monthly date nights. This summer's date nights have been filled with baseball games...go Tigers!

I'm an 80's geek and could name any tune in an embarrassingly short amount of time.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

Great thread!

Hi, my name is DJ and im 22 years old. I was sleeved on 2/11/13 and im down 128 lbs and down 153 total from my starting weight of 357. I was always a big kid growing up. I remember being to overweight to play pop warner football, Which is a great thing to tell a ten year old that hes to fat to do an activity that would be beneficial. I was picked on constantly as a child and a teenager for my weight. I developed thick skin and learned how to deal with a situation like that through trial and error. But its not fun being the least attractive person growing up. I'm a middle child to two sisters, one older and one younger. Both were captain of the cheer-leading team, my older sister went on to become a professional cheerleader, so I'm the one in the middle of that. All 265 of me in high school.

I became an introvert and found friends who saw beyond the fat, so it never really became an issue to me. I moved away from home after dropping out of college because i had no drive what-so-ever, and this is where i gained most of my weight. I was probably depressed, but i was smoking so much weed at the time i couldn't even realize it. I partied for a year straight before i ran out of money, and thankfully my parents let me move back in out of the kindness of their hearts. Under one condition, i needed another job, and to go see a doctor about my weight.

I did both, I got a job working overnights in a UPS warehouse. Not only is it a paid 4 hour a night workout. But for 50 dollars a month i got a full health plan. I used that to start going to the Mount Auburn Weight Management Center where i learned about the sleeve. With there support and the support of my mother, and the weight i lost pre-op, i was able to be sleeved.

Best decision of my life. I'm a completely different person than i was. I love working out now, where i never would have before. My confidence is way up and my drive to succeed has returned. Im ready for the next part of my life to begin as a former fatty.