Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello! i'm harley - 31, turning 32 in 12 days! i also am scheduled for vsg in 14 days. whew. a little scary.

i've been researching and lurking this board (along with others) for over a year now, and finally decided on making the decision to get this surgery at the beginning of the summer. and i thought, what better way to start off 32 by taking my life back?

i've never been skinny or athletic, and have been overweight as long as i can remember. it was a bad cycle of turning to food when i felt bad, and feeling bad a lot because i was 'the fat kid'. i have a wonderful husband, who is fully supportive of this and is the best help i could possibly have on this journey.

i'm not really sure what else i should be saying, other than i'm a little nervous, a little scared (this will be my first surgery, ever), and well, i guess excited for my birthday? :)

--h

Well hello,

I am a 30 year old female. I have always strugled with my weight....always. Loose 5 pounds here to gain 10 pounds there. Like many others, I had tried all types of diets and fads. Nothing worked, because my problem was psychological, I would eat to feel better and fill a void (I know now, after years of therapy :)

Well, last year, after being at my highest weight of 275 lbs, I thought that perhaps getting the LapBand would be a great idea. My mom also thought she would look into it for herself as well.

We went to the seminar from the NJ Bariatric Center (a co-worker recomended the center). I went into the seminar fully decided that the LapBand was "my solution" I could get it removed if I wanted to, and it was not a permanent chage........Two hours later I came out of the seminar knowing that the lapband was not for me, both me and my mother agreed that the Sleeve would be the best choice for us.

I went to my first doctor apointment June 14th, 2012, and August 20th, 2012 had the Vertical Sleeve Surgery. Today, almost a year later I am at 175.8 lbs. Almost 100 lbs down. My ancles and feet no longer hurt (which is the best outcome besides looking healthier). My mom had surgery in October, she has lost about 70 lbs and no longer has diabetes.

Nice to meet you all.

M.

Well hello' date='

I am a 30 year old female. I have always strugled with my weight....always. Loose 5 pounds here to gain 10 pounds there. Like many others, I had tried all types of diets and fads. Nothing worked, because my problem was psychological, I would eat to feel better and fill a void (I know now, after years of therapy :)

Well, last year, after being at my highest weight of 275 lbs, I thought that perhaps getting the LapBand would be a great idea. My mom also thought she would look into it for herself as well.

We went to the seminar from the NJ Bariatric Center (a co-worker recomended the center). I went into the seminar fully decided that the LapBand was "my solution" I could get it removed if I wanted to, and it was not a permanent chage........Two hours later I came out of the seminar knowing that the lapband was not for me, both me and my mother agreed that the Sleeve would be the best choice for us.

I went to my first doctor apointment June 14th, 2012, and August 20th, 2012 had the Vertical Sleeve Surgery. Today, almost a year later I am at 175.8 lbs. Almost 100 lbs down. My ancles and feet no longer hurt (which is the best outcome besides looking healthier). My mom had surgery in October, she has lost about 70 lbs and no longer has diabetes.

Nice to meet you all.

M.[/quote']

congrats for a changing life experience for you and your mom!

Sent from my iPad using VST

checking ticker

Hi! My name is Marisa and I am 25 years old. I have been married to my husband for a little over 5 years now! I was born and raised in Kent, Washington. I met my husband while he was stationed at Ft. Lewis, WA and after a couple deployments, we PCSed to Germany! Germany was probably the most amazing place I have ever been and I would go back in a heartbeat!! Great food and beautiful scenery! We moved to Killeen, TX in November 2012 and are still adjusting to this heat! In our spare time, we like to go out dancing, go camping, go to the movies, and exploring TX! We also love taking unplanned last-minute day trips! We do not have children, just 2 yorkies, who are my babies! (for now lol) I have PCOS and I hope that this surgery will help me to be able to conceive one day!

Hi Everyone,

I'm Kevin and I'm coming down the homestretch towards getting a surgery date from my doctor. I suspect it will be the second week in September. Until then, I'm trying to learn as much as I can from all of you. I'm somewhat anxious about the surgery, (moreso than the lifetime changes to diet). I don't care for hospitals, but I'm going through with this because I need to. Lots of co-morbidity issues here, so I'm also looking forward to a much healthier life.

Please let me know your thoughts about the procedure, how you felt when you came to afterwards, and the days thereafter. I'd like to hear it from people who've had the surgery, what I can reasonably expect to feel when I awake.

Regards,

Kevin

I am Dawn and I am a 34-year-old mother of one. I am a single parent and my father helps out with my daughter. I was an athlete. I hiked up mountains, won bike races, skiied and much more. I gained no weight in my pregnancy until the 7th month. In two months I gained over 80lbs. The day I left the hospital, after delivering my daughter, I had gained another 10 lbs. 8 years passed by and I continued to hike and swim and diet and no weight came off. I was then diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). I was told that if I took medications made for diabetes, I would lose the weight. Another 7 years has passed and I have lost nothing, but the odd drop in Water. I am tired of being told that I have a pretty face. It is what people say when they are avoiding discussing the rest of my appearance. I want to feel comfortable in an airline seat. I want to where normal clothes. I want to never have to worry about weight restrictions again because, "I'm obviously not that heavy". I want to be able to fit into the life jacket and the regular sized kayak so that I can go out on the Water with my daughter. I want to feel good about myself and go on dates again.

I have a love hate relationship with the idea of VS. I want to lose the weight and my vanity says that if I lose the weight there will be saggy skin, I will be ugly and no man would want to be with me. I won't be able to afford the skin removal right away so I will need to live with it for a while. I have a regular sized upper body and a very exaggerated derrier and thighs. What if I lose everything from my upper half and I am still out of proportion? PCOS creates something called floating androgens. These block the insulin that I produce and forces my body to turn whatever I eat into fat storage rather than energy. I can get more fat eating a salad without dressing. What if I do the vertical sleeve and my PCOS makes it impossible to lose the weight? I'll have gone through all of that and given up so much for nothing.

I probaly sound a little neurotic. I don't mean to be like that, but until I have better answers on PCOS and the sleeve, I need to hold on. I hope the news is good in regards to PCOS women losing weight with this surgery. I can't weight to start the rest of my life.

Hi Everyone' date='

I'm Kevin and I'm coming down the homestretch towards getting a surgery date from my doctor. I suspect it will be the second week in September. Until then, I'm trying to learn as much as I can from all of you. I'm somewhat anxious about the surgery, (moreso than the lifetime changes to diet). I don't care for hospitals, but I'm going through with this because I need to. Lots of co-morbidity issues here, so I'm also looking forward to a much healthier life.

Please let me know your thoughts about the procedure, how you felt when you came to afterwards, and the days thereafter. I'd like to hear it from people who've had the surgery, what I can reasonably expect to feel when I awake.

Regards,

Kevin[/quote']

Hi Kevin, I too was dreading the hospital stay but overall was glad to be there those first couple of days. The thing I remember coming to was that I was REALLY warm and nauseous. Overall the nausea was what I struggled with the most. I'm 2 weeks post surgery now and feel pretty darn good. The fears are normal, just stay strong because it's one day and you'll have plenty more healthy ones ahead of you.

Hi ,

I am 42 years old and single. I have always wanted a family and have tried IVF for the last 7 years with no success.

I have been trying to lose weight for a long, time.

My latest effort, doing boot camp for the last 8 months, getting up at 5:30am, 3 times a week and then 2 sessions a week by myself. I was handing in my food diary to my trainer also for assistance when needed. But, I have lost no weight. I have an underactive thyroid and type 2 diabetes.

I am not a lazy person, am quite active, but do get tired due to my thyroid.

I worked in the travel industry for 16 years, and did shift work, and now find myself with employment with normal working hours. I love the outdoors, my family, swimming, my pets.

I just want my life back, I am not happy with myself and want to feel like me again. I hate seeing my reflection - which is so sad to say but it is true.

Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting and supporting you, and our journeys ahead.

Hi ' date='

I am 42 years old and single. I have always wanted a family and have tried IVF for the last 7 years with no success.

I have been trying to lose weight for a long, time.

My latest effort, doing boot camp for the last 8 months, getting up at 5:30am, 3 times a week and then 2 sessions a week by myself. I was handing in my food diary to my trainer also for assistance when needed. But, I have lost no weight. I have an underactive thyroid and type 2 diabetes.

I am not a lazy person, am quite active, but do get tired due to my thyroid.

I worked in the travel industry for 16 years, and did shift work, and now find myself with employment with normal working hours. I love the outdoors, my family, swimming, my pets.

I just want my life back, I am not happy with myself and want to feel like me again. I hate seeing my reflection - which is so sad to say but it is true.

Anyway, I am looking forward to meeting and supporting you, and our journeys ahead.[/quote']

welcome to te family

Sent from my iPad using VST

Thanks pattylo

Hello:) I just joined Verticalsleevetalk.com. I've been reading the forums for a couple of months now and thought I really should join. I got so much great information on here and want to be able to encourage others too:) I am scheduled for my surgery on Sept. 4th. I am super excited but also nervous. I am more excited than nervous though :) I'm 47, have 4 kids, ages 10-25, and I'm happily married. I just graduated as an RN in May, and start work 3 weeks after my surgery, so hopefully all will go well:)

Hi Everyone' date='

Regards,

Kevin[/quote']

Kevin,

Welcome & congrats on your decision!

I was sleeved on June 6, 2013. To say the least, I was terrified. Until VSG, I had never had surgery so this was totally foreign to me. I'm a single mom of two boys so feared everything imaginable!

The first couple of days after surgery weren't the best. Nausea from anesthesia, gas pains & soreness. Took a week off from work (should have taken 2). After week one, I felt fine but just no energy. Each week, that improved & now 10 weeks out, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

As of today, I am down 48.5 lbs (23.8 since surgery). While I feel my weight loss is a little slow, I know that I'm moving in the right direction. I exercise 5 days a week & eating the correct amount of Protein. I struggle with getting all my required daily fluids in but do pretty well with that usually.

Best decision I ever made!

I've been reading all the new posts on this thread and I just want to say congrats to everyone who are post op and to all the pre op folks.....good luck and my only regret was not having this surgery years ago....the anticipation was far worse than the surgery itself.

Thanks for the welcome, Mytime2shine.

I really admire the weight you've lost and the comittment you have to excercising 5 days a week. I'm hopeful of doing something similar. My employer has an on site gym, and since I live in Minnesota, I'll most likely make good use of it! lol

Were you able to control the pain with the meds they provided to you after the surgery? I a bit leery, as I had a lower inguinal hernia surgery years ago, and it hurt like hell! Hopefully, this operation will result in pain that is better managed.

Regards,

Kevin