Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery Date Set.....low Bmi

I barely qualified through insurance, BMI 35 and sleep apnea. I had surgery on Monday, and am feeling pretty good. Much better than I expected. I understand the confusion of people wondering why we would want to do the surgery, but most of us have tried many serious attempts at weight loss, and this is an awesome tool to use in this journey. I'm hoping it will be the tool that finally makes this possible for me. I've head many people say in support groups that it doesn't make it easy, but it does make it possible. That is all I am asking for. Don't stress other people's opinions. I is our health and our bodies.

I am a very frustrated low BMIer....I have been stalled since 8 Dec....Tracked it back to the day I came off liquids....ugggh...I got sleeved on 26 Nov...I've only lost 14 pounds....the scale is going between 203 and 204 but it was at one time 202.....I am frustrated...I started at 216 and I am 5'4...so I just needed to lose 50-60lbs.....I am so depressed with not losing anything since 8 Dec...I don't always get my Water and Protein but I am well under 500-7-- calories and that is being generous.....

I'm new to the game, but every post seems to say Protein and Water are the keys. Stick to the plan, and it will happen. People do stall, and sometimes early, and low bmi people tend to lose slower. If you are tracking what you eat and getting the Protein and Water, I'll bet it will pick up. We are all in this for the long haul...

Best of luck!

There is a group or rather several groups on Facebook that are sleevers. If anyone would like to join and share and ask questions please email me and I will be glad to invite you. They are secret groups so no one will see what is being said. These conversations are very open and frank. Nothing is off limits. After I posted and got the response I felt very insulted and vented there. Of the 140 members in that group I do not believe there are any regrets. Some may have problems adjusting to the new life style but no regrets. It's not the easy out people think it is. All things take work and a certain amount of dedication.

If I had so many medical complications I think I might be questioning the hospital and doctor as to the reasons for them.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I am scheduled with Dr Aceves in Mexico on Jan15th. I weigh "only" 200 lbs. At 5'5", my BMI is 33.3. I have no health problems today at 57, but my father died at 59 of a heart attack. My weight at 13 was 150, my highest weight was 230, and I figured out that over the years I have spent over 15K on diets and gimmicks. I cannot guess how many times I have lost and gained the same 40-70 lbs!

This will be the final investment of my weight loss journey. I have all my Proteins, juices, Vitamins, etc ready and waiting. I did not have to diet preop, so I have been having lots of "last time I'll eat this" meals.

I am so glad to have found this thread . I would love to check out the Facebook page too.

I am scheduled with Dr Aceves in Mexico on Jan15th. I weigh "only" 200 lbs. At 5'5"' date=' my BMI is 33.3. I have no health problems today at 57, but my father died at 59 of a heart attack. My weight at 13 was 150, my highest weight was 230, and I figured out that over the years I have spent over 15K on diets and gimmicks. I cannot guess how many times I have lost and gained the same 40-70 lbs!

This will be the final investment of my weight loss journey. I have all my Proteins, juices, Vitamins, etc ready and waiting. I did not have to diet preop, so I have been having lots of "last time I'll eat this" meals.

I am so glad to have found this thread . I would love to check out the Facebook page too.[/quote']

As would I.

Amanda Rae

Hi ladies I too also have a low bmi to other but to me it too high. I'm doing mines for prevention. I hate when I look in the mirror and can't stand to look at myself. I won't tell anyone because when I mentions it they say you can loose those few pounds or your not that big. Yeah right. If It was that easy then I would have lost it long time ago. I short and chubby. 5'1 180lbs now you tell me who is fine not me. I don't want to get on medications. I want to be here for my kids and I want to take picture without hiding in the back with a chubby face. So I decided to join the looser bench with the rest of you. When people see me am i'm looking they will say I told you all you had to do is cut back. I will reply and youths right. But me, my boyfriend, and the good lord will only know besides my VSF will know. A new me can't wait.

I hope we all start to realize that we don't need to apologize for taking making this very important decision. I'm not criticizing. I'm hearing myself in all of these posts. I pretend not to feel the need to explain why I am taking control of my health, but I do feel that need, and I wish I didn't. I did hit the 35 BMI and I do have a co-morbidity of sleep apnea, but being significantly over weight for my entire adult life should be enough. As low BMI patients do self-pay and have great success, I'm hoping they will lower the bar on who can qualify through insurance. Best of luck to us all!

I hope we all start to realize that we don't need to apologize for taking making this very important decision. I'm not criticizing. I'm hearing myself in all of these posts. I pretend not to feel the need to explain why I am taking control of my health' date=' but I do feel that need, and I wish I didn't. I did hit the 35 BMI and I do have a co-morbidity of sleep apnea, but being significantly over weight for my entire adult life should be enough. As low BMI patients do self-pay and have great success, I'm hoping they will lower the bar on who can qualify through insurance. Best of luck to us all![/quote']

I completely agree! Well said!

As would I.

Amanda Rae

Look for me on face book. Carolyn sue ellis. Same picture. It is an older surgery group, most had procedure done last summer. Lots of good info as we have all gone through it and are on other side. I will be glad to invite you to our secret page. Please remember it is an open talk group. Nothing is not asked or answered. Maybe sometime too much info is shared but you don't have to read or comment.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Look for me on face book. Carolyn sue ellis. Same picture. It is an older surgery group' date=' most had procedure done last summer. Lots of good info as we have all gone through it and are on other side. I will be glad to invite you to our secret page. Please remember it is an open talk group. Nothing is not asked or answered. Maybe sometime too much info is shared but you don't have to read or comment.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

Done.

Amanda Rae

I am wanting to get surgery with Dr. Alvarez in Mexico. Two of my friends have gone to him and have LOVED their experience with this practice as well as with their results.

I am an insulin dependant diabetic who has always struggled with maintaining my ideal weight. (A BMI of 22-24)

I just cannot stand obsessively thinking/ living around calorie counting and restricting my daily activity to keep my weight under control. (I find I pass on eating out with my friends, etc. because I fear I need to stay in and try to work out or eat healthy not to gain)

I am actually under the BMI of 30. I am about a 28. I was wanted to schedule the appointment and try to get my BMI up a few weeks before the surgery so I would be at the 30 BMI. I am worried however that I will lose too much during the pre-diet. I just dont want to fly all the way out to Mexico to be sent home.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with how much of a stickler these docs in Mexico are about performing the surgery? I know the US is 100% exact needed qualifications but is there any room to budge for the physicians in Mexico.

I asked his coordinator if he would do it under 30 and she said no. I am like. 32.4 and trying to adapt some healthy habits before I go

And 30 bmi is no pre diet required

I am wanting to get surgery with Dr. Alvarez in Mexico. Two of my friends have gone to him and have LOVED their experience with this practice as well as with their results.

I am an insulin dependant diabetic who has always struggled with maintaining my ideal weight. (A BMI of 22-24)

I just cannot stand obsessively thinking/ living around calorie counting and restricting my daily activity to keep my weight under control. (I find I pass on eating out with my friends, etc. because I fear I need to stay in and try to work out or eat healthy not to gain)

I am actually under the BMI of 30. I am about a 28. I was wanted to schedule the appointment and try to get my BMI up a few weeks before the surgery so I would be at the 30 BMI. I am worried however that I will lose too much during the pre-diet. I just dont want to fly all the way out to Mexico to be sent home.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with how much of a stickler these docs in Mexico are about performing the surgery? I know the US is 100% exact needed qualifications but is there any room to budge for the physicians in Mexico.

Susan, Dr.Alvarez's coordinator told me 30.5 is their cut off. I don't know if that .5 is just what they tell patients to give themselves some cushion, but she seems very firm that he simply won't do it if your bmi is below that #.

My weight is coming off so freaking slow........21 pounds in 7 weeks....Tired of seeing 196 on the scale....I hit a stall on 6 Dec and it stayed until 27 Dec, then moved to 196, then a period...My first in 11 months...and what came with it...another stall....so I sit here today still at 196....Is anyone else moving so slow?