Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

At ~18 mos. out, I haven't gained an ounce. I've lost more than 120 lbs. and am still losing.

Who knows, ten years out might be a different story, but I'm perfectly willing to lose 130-140 pounds and gain back 10-15!

WOW NOT ONE OUNCE???? That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW NOT ONE OUNCE???? That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, when I say "haven't gained" an ounce, I mean that -- despite the normal peaks and valleys -- it's not like I've lost a bunch of weight and am slowly regaining it. I assumed that's what the question was asking. Instead, I'm still losing.

I assume that when I hit my "target" weight (maybe 200-ish pounds, or ~140 lbs lost), my weight will fluctuate... I assume that as I get older, it'll take more work to maintain, and so on. But those are the "normal" problems that "normal" people have, and I am HAPPY to have that problem instead of being morbidly obese with a BMI in the "you gonna die, son" range.

Well, when I say "haven't gained" an ounce, I mean that -- despite the normal peaks and valleys -- it's not like I've lost a bunch of weight and am slowly regaining it. I assumed that's what the question was asking. Instead, I'm still losing.

I assume that when I hit my "target" weight (maybe 200-ish pounds, or ~140 lbs lost), my weight will fluctuate... I assume that as I get older, it'll take more work to maintain, and so on. But those are the "normal" problems that "normal" people have, and I am HAPPY to have that problem instead of being morbidly obese with a BMI in the "you gonna die, son" range.

Ohhhhhh OK. So how much weight have you gained during your sleeve journey during the peaks lol? For example I've gained up to 3 lbs. but then drop back down.

I'm just curious to see how much a sleever gain post op, even if the eventually lose it.

I am currently, as of this morning, 10 lbs under my surgeon's goal and 5 lbs under mine. I've gotten down to 132, but 140 this morning. 132 was too low, so I let myself gain back a little bit. I'm comfortable between 137 and 141. I don't know if this counts as gaining weight back or not. At my one year follow up I was told to expect to gain 5 - 7 lbs as I stablize. It seems normal to me. I'm still wearing size 4 and 6 jeans. I eat whatever I want. Sharing pumpkin or banana nut bread from Star Bucks with my husband is something we do every Friday, and some times on Saturday too. I snack on graham crackers with Natural Peanut Butter two or three x's per day. I had to find something to add calories into my diet so I'd quit losing. I think I'm addicted, it's really good. I can go up and down 3 lbs easy as pie. If I gain a couple of lbs, I find it easy to lose it again in three or four days. Up my Protein and liquids - 'back to basics'. I love it that I feel in control - food doesn't control me!!! Life is good.

OK so you would fall under the 1-5 lbs. I understand you normally lose it, but I'm really just interested in the MOST weight gain sleevers have had.

Thanks sweets!

I am currently, as of this morning, 10 lbs under my surgeon's goal and 5 lbs under mine. I've gotten down to 132, but 140 this morning. 132 was too low, so I let myself gain back a little bit. I'm comfortable between 137 and 141. I don't know if this counts as gaining weight back or not. At my one year follow up I was told to expect to gain 5 - 7 lbs as I stablize. It seems normal to me. I'm still wearing size 4 and 6 jeans. I eat whatever I want. Sharing pumpkin or banana nut bread from Star Bucks with my husband is something we do every Friday, and some times on Saturday too. I snack on graham crackers with Natural Peanut Butter two or three x's per day. I had to find something to add calories into my diet so I'd quit losing. I think I'm addicted, it's really good. I can go up and down 3 lbs easy as pie. If I gain a couple of lbs, I find it easy to lose it again in three or four days. Up my Protein and liquids - 'back to basics'. I love it that I feel in control - food doesn't control me!!! Life is good.

Yes this is good. Thank you. I 'm only interested to know how much a sleever can actually gain post op(even if the gain is lost eventually). So in your case it would be up to 1-8 lbs.

I go from 145 to 148 and back down. So my gain is 1-3 lbs.Today I weighed 146 (that would be 1 lb. gain). My noraml BMI goal is at 150 lbs. Right now I eat anything I want in maintenance. I DO NOT want to go under 145 and I would really like to stay 145-148 and so far, so good.

P.s. I LOVE Peanut Butter and graham crackers and I even add some m&m's sometimes :)

What are and how much do you guys eat each day and how often?

What are and how much do you guys eat each day and how often?

I'm 14 months out and maintaining my weight. Today, I had:

1 thick slice of banana chocolate chip bread

1 grande Starbucks coffee with half-and-half and splenda

1 Protein shake

Cappuccino and 2 cornmeal pancakes with shredded pork (about 3 inches in diameter each)

about 3/4 cup mac'n'cheese

half an order of banana cream pie (about 3/4 cup)

1 bottle beer

coconut rice (~1/2 cup) and mixed vegetable/mushroom stir-fry in oyster 'shroom sauce (~3/4 cup)

1 glass of mixed veggie/fruit juice

I don't know if I'm gonna eat anything else today as it's getting late, but if I do, I'll have an apple

I'm 14 months out and maintaining my weight. Today, I had:

1 thick slice of banana chocolate chip bread

1 grande Starbucks coffee with half-and-half and splenda

1 Protein shake

Cappuccino and 2 cornmeal pancakes with shredded pork (about 3 inches in diameter each)

about 3/4 cup mac'n'cheese

half an order of banana cream pie (about 3/4 cup)

1 bottle beer

coconut rice (~1/2 cup) and mixed vegetable/mushroom stir-fry in oyster 'shroom sauce (~3/4 cup)

1 glass of mixed veggie/fruit juice

I don't know if I'm gonna eat anything else today as it's getting late, but if I do, I'll have an apple

Yumm!!! :lol: This whole sleeve thing is the BEST THING IN THE WORLD!! My Mom even made a comment to me, laced with such jealousy... I said I have to eat all kinds of stuff just to stop losing weight... she said, "And you eat whatever the heck you want!!!" LOL!! I know she meant it with the best in mind. It's just really nice. My surgeon has turned me into that kind of person.

That said, I know my workouts help with the no weight gains (not since my BA anyway), but I'm very happy with the new me. No complaints!

I am interested in your reply as I know my surgeon refused to sleeve anyone who smoked- he made it a non- negociable pre requirement. Yours didn't? How about others? quote name='Raine' timestamp='1313538295' post='195185']

When I tried to quit smoking I gained 8lbs! I am down all 8 now and weigh in on Thursday, I "feel" I should be down another 3 by then.

I quit smoking to get the sleeve. I had previously quit to have my children for 5 years and had a relapse a couple months before surgery. I started again in June at Bonnaroo (a music festival). Now I'm not saying the smoking made me drop weight. Walking ALL day for 4 days in 100 degree weather and dancing my ass off had the majority to do with it but I lost 5lbs those days. I'm still smoking I plan to quit Nov 1st. The times I have tried to quit recently I have found myself munching like crazy BUT I would rather gain 5lbs or even 10 than do all this work only to get cancer and lose what I've worked so hard for, not to mention leaving my children Motherless which is devastating. Besides if you look at smokers they look tired and their skin wrinkled and ashy.

As far as gaining and normal gains and then drops again I will lose about 8lbs a month recently gain 3 and then start losing again. That's my pattern every month since 3 months out.

Edited to add I have had two 5lb gains a couple months but the weight came right back off.

I have been at goal and fluctuate 1-2 pounds. I find the sleeve give me good restriction and I know my limits. I follow the rules of Protein first and try to avoid sweets. I eat no bread or Pasta.< /p>

No Pasta ever??? I think I had pasta at least 5 or 6 times last week. A few times it was whole wheat.

No Pasta ever??? I think I had pasta at least 5 or 6 times last week. A few times it was whole wheat.

Me too.. I do try to get in Protein first... but have small sides of what ever I want. I do choose whole grain and low sugar most of the time. I do write down what I eat and watch the calories. I stay in a 3 pound range, and once in a month or so drop into a lower range... about a pound or two lower... so far. I am 6 pounds till "normal" and 10 pounds to goal.

Sleeve 4 me...I read all the comments but would LOVE to know what the poll says...can you share the answers?