Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

I have been banded for over 6 months.I had really bad reflux pre-banding,after getting the band I hardly ever have reflux problems.I usually have a problem if I eat too fast or eat excessively spicey food. I think the band has helped me Not have reflux problems (I no longer take reflux meds everyday):clap2:

I am 14 months Post LBS, I had reflux before my surgery but not since. HAPPY DAYS! I had been on Nexxium/the little purple pill and several others and now- GONE!

I have been banded for over two years and have awful reflux! I regurg about every night regardless of what I eat or when. I also suddenly seem to have little or no restriction. The doc's office says I sound like need a slight unfill, but I don't want even less restriction. Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate input from anyone who has had a similar problem. Thanks!

Terri-ific,

We must be twins!!!!! I thought I was the only one in the world with this problem! I have the SAME thing happen to me. I just got a fill a couple of days ago and now starts the night time coughing and re-gurgitating. If I go any looser, I am too hungry all of the time. I had an upper GI and it was normal. I don't know what to do either. I am at my witt's end. I am starting to think that maybe I should not have had this done after all.

I went and had some of my fill removed yesterday (it helped the regurg last nite) but my Dr. wants me to have the upper GI servies to see if I have a hiatial hernia! Maybe we are twins! I'm not sure what to do either. This is very upsetting and I don't know what to do. I'll keep you posted and you do the same! Thanks. Terri

PLEASE only vote if youve been banded 6 months or longer.

Ive noticed that there have been in increasing number of bandsters having Reflux/Gerd problems. This may be a more commen problem in post banding then what our surgeons are aware of.

All,

I found out recently that I am highly allergic to MSG monosodium glutamate that is a food flavor additive in most, chips, Soups, chinese food and some dressings. The symptoms are tightness of throat and drainage. It is worse in the mornings. For the longest time I was thinking it was Acid reflux. The reason I tell you this is because of a post I replied to in this forum complaining of tightness of throat. Remember most Soups contain MSG. And this is what your taking in the liquid diets.

I have almost choked-to-death because of this allergy.

helpful list of suspects located here:ranger.gif

Monosodium glutamate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me know if this has helped you. It could save you thousands of dollars in doctor bills.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

It's probably too late to ask but I'd love to know if the folks who experience reflux after lapband had it prior to getting the lap band or a too tight fill or in other words where you symtom free before the lap band ?

Thank you Ronnie for this most helpful information~! I thought MSG was also hidden under another name. Off to Wikapedia....

:oI feel the same way as you. I have problems at night too. I will be dead asleep and this stuff just comes pouring out of my throat and nose and I sometimes gag. I know it is gross and its just clear liqued but it scares me. It just started with me after I got my last fill. I didn't know that it's called reflux. I also have the burning throat thing too. I know my band is a little too tight but I figured it would loosen up like the other fills. I can handle the liqued and mushie diet cause it really kickstarted my weight loss again. But the waking up to clear your nose and throat so u can breathe is a little unnerving.

Hi there! I am really bad I have not posted in about 6months, I always tell people who inquire about my band to go to this web site and read they will find everything they want to know about it but I also say that most people who are not having problems usually won't post so you will only read about mostly bad things because of that and here I am not posting forever until I am having a problem, and I first apologize for that in advance! Any way I have been banded since Aug 05 and have had no problems what so ever with my band until now. I am having sever reflux it first started at night and has gradually gotten worst in the daytime. So bad that I wake up choking because of the reflux, my chest burns all the time and so does my throat. I do not have a hard time eating or drinking at all it's just the reflux. My band is half full and I haven't had a fill in about a year. I was wondering reading all of your reply's if reflux is related to TIME, if after a certain amount of time being banded does this occur and is it normal? just a thought.

OMG! I took the pills for acid reflux-no help. I went on the GERD diet-no help. I just stopped artificial sweeteners and the reflux is gone! I mean gone!

Betsyjane,

OMG!!!!! Thank u sooooo much for the post... I 2 was dying with reflux, but never thought about the sweetners!!! I stopped them and my reflux is GONE!!!!:clap2: WOOO HOOO :whoo:

okay been banded since Feb 2003. Never had reflux before banding. Started getting reflux after my fourth fill. Went and had things checked out. doc said my pouch looked good. I told him about the reflux. He said to first try not eating past 7 or 8 pm depending on when u go to sleep. That really helps me tremendously. I can almost guarantee if I eat late I'm going to have reflux. But if I'm really stressed out..I'll have it anyways..just because of how tight the band is. Anyways I'm living with it as is. Although I have had nights where I'm literally up all night with it. The second I fall asleep..it comes right up. Soooo annoying! Well hope this helps.

I have to say I have had reflux for the last 6 years and the bigger I got the worse it got!!

I am now 1 week post op and for the first time in 6 years I DONT have reflux!!!

Interestingly it was mentioned to me as a possible serious side-effect of the band at my first consult.

Nina x

Dibaby: What do your docs say about this?

Flygiir: This is an IMPORTANT and interesting question! It's not like you have had your band that long to start having problems but who knows? Are you feeling better..have you tried the advice here? Has anyone else reported reflex later on after you've had a band for a few years? I know bodies change too so it may not be the band....I sure hope not!

MJ

Hi I'm new bandster diagnosed with GERD/Reflux pre surgery. Banded 10/30/07 and the GERD IS SEVERE post surgery. Went for my first pre op visit yesterday and they removed 1cc of residual Fluid which gave me some relief. Had a CONSTANT knot in my chest which is gone now. HOWEVER the GERD - severe pressure radiating to ears (no it's not a heart attack that's my GERD Symptoms - had cardiac cath/stress test when it first happen which were normal - that's how GERD was diagnosed).

If this doesn't get better I'll be one of those former bandsters beacuse this sucker will be OUTTA here!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Katie