Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

Yes Kyethra, I have read about a strange but true correlation between reflux and asthma. Have you ever had eczema (sp?) or dry itchy Patches on your skin? There is also a correlation between that and asthma. Not sure why these relate, they just do.

I had bad GERD for the last 50 pounds before WLS. The surgeon told me it would go away as soon as I had the surgery and sure enough it did. The stricture of the band actually helps keep the bile from "backwashing" into my esophagus. No more $25 a month Prilosec for me!

I am certain (and the doctor told me) that if I ever have heartburn again something is wrong! Get to his office quick, he says heartburn is the first sign of band slippage.

I had severe GERD prior to surgery even when not over weight, initally the band "cured" it but after a year or so it came back with avengance - eventually it was diagnosed as being related to swallowng problems related to MS. It is now under control again by using losec but also sleepng with head and shoulders elevated, not eating within 4 hours of bedtime, only sipping fluids later in the evening rather than "drinking" so that stomach is empty. I have been able to reduce meds and have no more symptoms after severe problems that put me in hospital several times

I have never had reflux before my first fill. Basically,it simply was too tight (2.5) after 2 months they finally decided that "yeah we need to take it completely out, let you rest with some medication and then put back about 1/2). Once they took it out.....no reflux. Once they put back (1.8) unfortunately, I still have it, but not nearly as bad. I have been told that often people that had reflux prior to surgery find that once surgery is done they have very little or none...however, those of us that have never experienced it end up often having reflux once the surgery is done. Interesting....I still chalk mine up to being too tight for 2 months.

I have been banded for 4 years now, and only starting having reflux a year and a half ago. The problem is so bad now that my doctor wants to remove my band and in the same surgery give me a gastric bypass. I am not sure if I want that but I am considering.

Any opinions? I would appreciate anyone's thought on the matter

Banding fixed my reflux- I would do it again (get banded) just for the refux!!!! NOT one reflux episode since banding!!!

hi brazil just wanted to see how much weight you have lost in 4 years.i will be bavded two years in july 14 05.i was loosing weight really good at first my i m having truoble with my reflex big time ,things are getting stuck just about every time i eat.doc. thinks it is to tight my band that is.he wants to remove some fluid.but i am afratd i will gain all my weight back.i have already gained some of it back.bonnie

Hi there! I am really bad I have not posted in about 6months, I always tell people who inquire about my band to go to this web site and read they will find everything they want to know about it but I also say that most people who are not having problems usually won't post so you will only read about mostly bad things because of that and here I am not posting forever until I am having a problem, and I first apologize for that in advance! Any way I have been banded since Aug 05 and have had no problems what so ever with my band until now. I am having sever reflux it first started at night and has gradually gotten worst in the daytime. So bad that I wake up choking because of the reflux, my chest burns all the time and so does my throat. I do not have a hard time eating or drinking at all it's just the reflux. My band is half full and I haven't had a fill in about a year. I was wondering reading all of your reply's if reflux is related to TIME, if after a certain amount of time being banded does this occur and is it normal? just a thought.

Hi all, I'm on looking for answers; will keep searching but if anyone can pt me in the right area/chat I'd appreciate it. I never had reflux until several months (6+mo) & I got too much fill. So I had some removed. It helped for awhile. After several more months I have gone up/down with being filled. It would feel fine for a wk or 2, then it would get too tight & I couldn't sleep at night. Today I have nothing in the band; 0 cc's. I get reflux every night; I am up 1 or 2 tx's every night vomiting up the terrible acid in my stomach. I take Prilosec every day; sometimes 2 pills a day along with Pepcid AC, Pepto Bismol tablets when they stay down & drink ALka Seltzer like cold beer on a hot day! No relief. If I have even a sip of Water in the morning before 11am, I have nausea all morning. I cannot eat or drink anything until after 11 a.m. I can eat lunch but by late afternoon, the upset stomach is back & I usually have to "get rid of" my lunch. "Dinner" is very light & is usually "gone" after about 1 hr of sleep. I cannot drink very much at all during the day; even Water causes indigestion. I cannot eat chicken, beef, lettuce, most veggies; sometimes cannot tolerate my Protein drinks. I'm getting worried; yes, i'm losing weight, but at what cost?? Has anyone experienced any of this? I want to find out what I can do before going back to my dr & have him suggest to have the band removed; just don't want to give in to that idea yet. HELP!??!

Banded July 05

Lost 60 lbs

20 lbs to go

I was banded in Feb, 04, and have never been able to keep a fill. Approx six weeks after a fill, the discomfort would be unbearable, and I would have to get unfilled. Three fills over three years -- three unfills. Done under fluro, esophagitis was always the problem (a sensation of having a lump in your throat; the feeling you get when you start to cry.) Fortunately, I always have restriction w/o any fill, and have manged to lose weight. Fast forward 2 1/2 years, and now I have been diagnosed with GERD. I've had the endoscopy as well as motility study and PH. Lots of reflux going on; sleepless nights due to coughing and wheezing. Aciphex twice a day and now a diagnosis of Barretts esophagus (precancer condition). My surgeon insists that none of this is attributable to the band as "research supports that the band aids GERD symptoms". I believe that the band has put too much pressure on my lower esophagus, and it no longer works as it's supposed to and stays open all the time. This was confirmed by the motility study. So the acid just keeps coming up all day and night. I'm getting very close to having the band removed and possibly trying a VSG. I'm not sure a VSG will help with the GERD symptoms, but I'm afraid of weight gain once the band is removed. My advice is that if you are experiencing heartburn/acid reflux/coughing/wheezing, etc., talk to your doctor. The acid is nasty stuff and can cause some permanent damage if you don't manage it properly.

Thank you! You described exactly what I'm going through. Will copy/paste your reply & show my Dr tomorrow! Thanks again.

Has anyone had their band slip and no symptons? What happens if your band slips and it is not fixed?

I had spent most of my adult life with chronic heartburn and acid reflux. I took Zantac for MANY years and when it stopped working switched to Prilosec OTC. My band was placed by Dr. Roberto Rumbaut on June 1, 2006 and it CURED MY ACID REFLUX COMPLETELY!

I have the Inamed 9.75 cm 4 cc band with a current fill (done by Dr. C) of 2.2 cc's. It is one of the BEST things..... having the reflux cured!

age 45

banded 12 month post op never gastric problems

galbladder removed in November 8 month post op

protonix medication given when continued acid reflex

But I have good news, I finally went to my acupunturist and she gave me Vitaman B12 Isotonix and within B6. I have not had any problems and I'm not taking the protonix which Dr. told me I would take for the rest of my life. I would from experience recommend you take the B6 before pursuing galbladder removal. This is my opion and good luck! :mad:

It just me again. I was just reading several posts regarding these gastric problems and I am very familiar with these symtoms, tests done on me and medications taken and outcome was I fine to continue Protonix. Well I was tired of not sleeping and gagging or being embarrased with gurgeling in front of customers.

But take it from a friend who hopes this will be the cure for now because my acupunturist told me this B6 will not be for long. Ask your Dr. or try it. It is a vitaman and will not hurt. I hope to help one of you with this information. :mad:

I just got the band so its too soon for me to tell... I've had severe GERD from birth. It is partially stomach acid but also the esophgas doesn't close like it should...

There is something called the stretta procedure that my surgeon mentioned. Its for GERD. Its not a surgery but an endoscopic procedure. It cauterizes the esophogus and seems to be good results wise from what i have read. Not many people do the procedure. My surgeon said he used to do it but doesn't anymore because of cost-- he also thought it wasn't very well marketed, etc. But he did think it was a really great procedure for GERD. someting to look into anyway...