Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

It may even be a good idea for us to re-do this poll periodically.... ??? just a thought.

I think we should re-do lots of things/posts/polls, just so the newer folks and folks that are considering the band have this information. IMHO its extrememly important to go into this knowing EVERYTHING!!

Good call Paula !!!!

I have been banded six months had acid reflux pryor to being banded. Didn't have any problems after banding, but this past month have had reflux daily. I had a fill and was trying to see if it would open up a little after a few weeks but it hasn't I go back today and will ask for a small unfill. Then I should be back to no reflux I hope.:clap2:

Another bit of information that we may want to include is the name of our surgeon.

For some reason Im thinking the surgeons TECHNIQUE has something to do with it.

Generally speaking, the band can CURE reflux (GERD) for those who had it pre-op and CAUSE the problem in those who did not. (That info was from Don Mills about 3.5 years ago, when I suddenly started having reflux, about six months post-op.)

GeezerSue-why does it cure if you had it but cause it if you didn't. I don't get it.I guess I looking for a reason for all this.

I had horrible reflux after about 3 months. Went for a slight unfill and was fine. Now, 1 year and 8 months after REFLUX is back! I can control it with meds but wish I didn't have to.

I was 36 years old.

I never had reflux.

I like long walks on the beach.

I am a taurus.:clap2:

I didn't take the poll since I haven't been banded for 6 mo yet but I had reflux before surgeryand had been on meds for several years. After surgery I ran out and after a couple of days realized I didn' t need it! Hope it stays that way. I get my first fill tomorrow so we'll see after that.

Just wondering what everyones thought is on this... could reflux be worse in those without a gallbladder after being banded or is the gallbladder even really a factor in this at all??

I never had reflux before banding and my gallbladder was taken out 1 month before banding so I really don't know if that contributes to my reflux or not... at this time I 'm just glad to have had a slight unfill and no problems. with the reflux.. But what happens when I want to get a fill again??? Wonder if Dr. will fill me anymore or say I'm tight enough and with anymore fill I will resume with reflux?? Could this last fill I had be the end of the fill road for me?? Any thoughts or am I just babbling!!:grouphug:

Jammin- I wonder the same thing. I had my gallbladder out and then the reflux started. I hope this isn't a side effect of no gallbladder but if it is at least there would be an explanation for all of this for me.

Jammin- I wonder the same thing. I had my gallbladder out and then the reflux started. I hope this isn't a side effect of no gallbladder but if it is at least there would be an explanation for all of this for me.

Seppi It would be nice to get to the bottom of the reflux mystery...But what scares me is what if reflux is part of what causes erosion ??

Sorry Paula I kinda got off the poll!!!

GeezerSue-why does it cure if you had it but cause it if you didn't. I don't get it.I guess I looking for a reason for all this.

Don said that the cure part was a kind of easy guess. The band provided one more "hoop" for the acid to "jump through" on its way to the esophagus where it causes trouble. As far as the cause part of the equation, there was no generally accepted reason. Maybe there is now. Sorry!

I had relfux with the band and I had my gallbladder.

When I had the band out and got revised to the DS, the gall bladder was removed as a routine procedure. I had a few weeks of reflux but then it went away.

So I had reflux WITH a gall bladder and a band and no reflux WITHOUT a gall bladder and band.

I can't remember where I read it, but I do remember hearing somewhere about some surgeons wanting to have lap-band surgery approved as a treatment for people with severe ongoing reflux.

I am 32 - my gall bladder was removed in March of 99 and I was banded in June 05. I have had some reflux...only when I was filled to tight. Doc gave me some prevaicd and it helps. I only take it when it's bothering me which isn't much.