Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

PLEASE only vote if youve been banded 6 months or longer.

Ive noticed that there have been in increasing number of bandsters having Reflux/Gerd problems. This may be a more commen problem in post banding then what our surgeons are aware of.

#2 is my answer Paula........ Banded at least 6 months and have had reflux problems.

I believe I just got filled to tight and once unfilled a little it went away!! This was only a couple months ago after getting my 4th fill.... so my first 14 months of banding no problems at all.

Age 28

Gallbladder removed 1 month before band was placed.

I've never had a problem with it since the day I was banded. I used to suffer horrid reflux.

Since I haven't been banded, I'm not participating in the poll. BUT I am very interested in this thread, because I don't want to have reflux when banded.

I would like those participating, who have not experienced reflux to give this information:

1. age at banding

2. if they have had gall bladder surgery

3. tips for avoiding reflux

THANK YOU!!

1. age at banding - 34

2. if they have had gall bladder surgery - no

3. tips for avoiding reflux - I have no tips to offer because I've never experienced reflux, even before surgery

I had reflux before my band was put in. Within a week of having it installed, my reflux was COMPLETELY gone.

1. age at banding-39

2. if they have had gall bladder surgery-nope

3. tips for avoiding reflux-don't get too tight. Avoid a too-tight band at all costs. Get an unfill. If you arent' filled, stick to liquids and soft foods, drink Aloe Vera juice regularly, and take an acid-reducing medication regularly.

I answered #2 because I did have mild reflux problems early on when I was so tight in the beginning. This was pre-fill. Obviously, my band loosened a bit or I wouldn't have been filled! Otherwise, I would say I never have reflux trouble.

Thinking back, I didn't have the typical reflux folks complain about with pain, difficulty sleeping, stuff coming back up at nighttime...none of that. I just had a burning esophogus that got better in days with treatment. Prilosec and Aloe Vera juice. Don't get me wrong, it was terribly uncomfortable, but it wasn't what I read about here when folks talk about reflux. I really should have voted #1.

1. age at banding - 40

2. if they have had gall bladder surgery - yes, about 9 months post op

3. tips for avoiding reflux - no but I will be watching this thread to get some

I haven't been banded for 6 months, but I wanted to just make a comment. I had acid reflux before my surgery, and really bad painful reflux. Since my surgery I haven't had any. I'm not sure why I had it before because I don't drink coffee or eat any of the usual suspect foods, but I am happy as a peach now because it seems that my band has stopped the problem.

1. age at banding - 18

2. if they have had gall bladder surgery - no

3. tips for avoiding reflux - I have only now gotten since having my band a little too tight.

I had the band for over a year and only started getting reflux after my most recent fill in April. I know I was a little too tight, now, I'm not as tight but I will randomly get it once in a while at night.

Paula I did a poll a while back, here's the post.... hope it helps (for some reason its on the Fills Board.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8771

Eileen, YES! I remember that poll. Did a mod. move it?

Ive noticed that the majority of us that suffer with reflux seem to develope it after a couple of fills - thats why I thought a 6 month vetern bandster would be "experienced" enough to re-vote.

It may even be a good idea for us to re-do this poll periodically.... ??? just a thought.

I would like those participating, who have not experienced reflux to give this information:

1. age at banding 29

2. if they have had gall bladder surgery Nope, healthy GB (knock on wood)

3. tips for avoiding reflux I don't know, Water?

THANK YOU!!

I am sure that those with reflux have not done anything to invite it... By all rights I should have it. I eat later than 7pm, I still enjoy spiciness, and I have a relatively high stress level.

I had acid reflux before my surgery, and really bad painful reflux. Since my surgery I haven't had any.

K@t, this sounds great!! I had painful reflux following my gall bladder surgery 8 years ago. I finally was able to stop it by giving up all the foods that caused a bad reaction. Hearing people talk about reflux with the lapband, had me scared that reflux might be a common reaction.

So, does reflux occur because the fill is wrong?