Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

Icecream- It Sounds Like We Have The Same Problem. I Even Had Some Fluid Removed Almost 2 Months Ago And Still Have Some Problems. I Don't Get It Every Night Just Once In Awhile. It Seems Like This Past Month Has Been The Worst. Does Taking A Rolaid Help? I Never Wake Up Needing To Throw Up. I Just Wake Up With food Particles Or Excess Saliva In My Mouth And Have To Spit It Out Or Cough Alot.

I take a chewable rolaid just before I go to bed if I feel the reflux coming on, (which is not every night, but quite frequent), it seems to have an almost immidiate claming effect. I had no reflux before my surgery, it appeared approximately 1yr after I had the band put in. I also gurgle alot, which is kind of embarassing coz sometimes it sounds like a burp!

ive had PB'ing (productive burping/regurgitation) ever since I got the band put in 5 years ago. I go through stages where I wake in the middle of the night choking on my own vomit. It has nothing to do with a new fill because I went 2 years without an adjustment, some weeks are good and some weeks are bad. Our own changing bodily fluids within our membranes have a lot to do with whether our band is tighter or not.

Its a crock when surgeons say reflux is stopped when you get the band. In my experience, it mostly did at first (except for eating too much and it bouncing back up), but eventually true refluc came back within a few years. Having said that, it may not be the band directly, I may have stretched the stoamch portion above the band (by overeating) and I am having a baraitric swallow test next week to check.

Ok, Well Now I Think It's Gotten Worse For Me. I Used To Just Wake Up With Fluid And food Particles In My Throat And Mouth But For The Last 3 Nights I've Woken Up With It Coming Out My Nose And Mouth. It Burns And Taste Terrible. I Don't Feel Like I Need A Unfill Again. I'm Able To Eat 1/2 To 1 Cup For Supper B4 I Feel A Restriction. I Don't Want To Be Put On Meds For This. Is There Anything That Is Over The Counter That Anyone Has Tried That Works? I Really Need Some Help Cause I'm Not Getting Much sleep At Night. I Also Wander What All This Acid Stuff Is Doing To My Teeth?

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">People with reflux should be conservative when getting filled.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

About 5 months ago I had my first acid reflux problems. I had just lost my job and think it may have also been stress related. I got an unfill (about 1/2 taken out). Anyway, two refills and another unfill later I can eat pretty much ANYTHING I want - and unfortunately, I HAVE. Stress is really taking its toll. I've gained 20lbs in the last 4 months!!!! I can't get another refill until I stop stressing and I can't stop stressing because I've gained 20lbs!! UUUHHHH ..... I've been trying to physcoanalyze myself - to no avail - somebody help before I gain ALL of my LB's back.

I only had reflux after my band slipped in December and again a couple of weeks ago - my band slipped more. I've never had reflux before. Once I got Fluid removed, it really helped. But, the acid reflux was so bad that I couldn't sleep at all.

Ok, Well Now I Think It's Gotten Worse For Me. I Used To Just Wake Up With Fluid And food Particles In My Throat And Mouth But For The Last 3 Nights I've Woken Up With It Coming Out My Nose And Mouth. It Burns And Taste Terrible. I Don't Feel Like I Need A Unfill Again. I'm Able To Eat 1/2 To 1 Cup For Supper B4 I Feel A Restriction. I Don't Want To Be Put On Meds For This. Is There Anything That Is Over The Counter That Anyone Has Tried That Works? I Really Need Some Help Cause I'm Not Getting Much sleep At Night. I Also Wander What All This Acid Stuff Is Doing To My Teeth?

Amanda,

You may already be doing these things, but you want to make sure you give yourself plenty of time after you eat dinner before you go to bed (I eat at least 3 hours before I go to bed). If it means eating a lot earlier, then so be it. Also, I would watch the fluid intake before going to bed as well. Don't drink anything with your dinner, and if you can, don't drink anything afterwards. All other times, drink as much Water as you can (except during meals)

I also chew on a couple of Pepsid AC Complete tablets before going to bed for a precautionary.

Hopefully you're going to see your doctor about this situation. Take care and I hope it gets better soon!

Wow. 75% of LBTers now have reflux.:ohmy: My surgeon said that a lot of people who have reflux (as I do already and am on Nexium) before getting banded have it go away. Looking at these results, I don't know how true that is. :huh2:

Before I got banded I had reflux problems,seems like anything I ate or drank caused me problems even with prescription meds.I have been banded over a year and :-D no more reflux I have even been taken off of the meds. The only times I have a problem is if I eat too fast or something that is not band friendly.So I am thankful and blessed to have the band.

Wow. 75% of LBTers now have reflux.:ohmy: My surgeon said that a lot of people who have reflux (as I do already and am on Nexium) before getting banded have it go away. Looking at these results, I don't know how true that is. :huh2:<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Nah. I think that

1) longer-term people who aren't having complications or struggles of some sort don't bother with the Complications forum

2) people who do have reflux are more likely to open a thread about it than people who haven't had any issues.

My guess is that reflux is a much less common occurance than 75% among bandsters. I know there are some studies going on now; it'll be interesting to see if there are any stats around this in the future. I know I'm in a study and they do ask questions like that.

I did take part in your poll & here's another interesting find. I had my band loosened before I went in for a Tummy Tuck, the Dr. took out 4cc ( I was nearly at 8cc... very full & having reflux problems). My reflux problems disappeared during the period of my defill, about 3 weeks. I would have loved to stay at 4cc but I really had no restriction & had to get a fill yesterday, he put back 2cc so I'm sitting at 6cc, I had a little reflux yesterday night, but I'm hoping that it doesn't return to the extent that it was before my defill.

hi

l had reflux bad before my band may 2007 l have not suffered since up until a month ago l had another fill lst feb and this has been tight l have been reluctant to have any out as l always lossen up after a couple of weeks l am fine with fluids food a little different l have to remember to chew so well then l am okay REFLUX this has started at night l am woken to find myself almost bubbling and l keep repeating its not nice l am reluctant tp have any removed but this is not nice l end up getting up

l have made an appointmeny to have a little removed if this is the cause or is it my old problem returning

wendy