Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Reflux Poll

• Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive [U]NEVER[/U] had problems with reflux.
    • Ive been banded at least 6 months and Ive had problems with reflux (corrected or not).

l was 54 when first banded l surrered with reflux before l have been free from it for 10months then it came back with vengance its at night l end up getting up my surgeon has put me on zoton 30 mg fast tabs that dissolve in the mouth l have had a couple of good nights followed like last night up all night l am trying tonight last eating at 6 in the eve any tips l would be grateful

wendy

I have only been banded for 3 months so I didnt vote but I am going to reply. I had TERRIBLE acid reflux before my surgery. Immediately after surgery my reflux diminished and has not recurred one single time since.

I had not had reflux before last week, today I found out my band has slipped.

My tip is to go see your surgeon as soon as reflux starts, I am hoping that by catching my slip early by not letting the reflux go on and on, I might not lose my band. Only time, and an unfilled band (which is hella scary) will tell.

I Have Been Banded Since 12/05. For The Past Month I've Been Getting Woke Up By Practically Aspirating. This Is Awful. I've Not Been Eating Past 7 And That Hasn't Helped. I'm Going To Try Your Plan. I Went And Bought Some Prilosec To See If This Helps. I Can't sleep It's So Bad. Please Keep Me Updated If You Find Any Tricks That Work.

Thanks A Bunch,

Rhonda

hi hope your feelng better my surgeon put me on zoton fast which l have to take before bed that seems to be working they are expensive see if you can try them they stop the acid forming

wendy

Rhonda,

I am so sorry for your troubles. I ended up having to get a unfill. That was the only thing for me that worked. Your band is warning you that you are too tight and if you don't get it unfilled a litte, it can lead to band slippage. As much as I hated to do it, my doctor told me this and I did what he said and got an unfill and it worked. I know it is awful to wake up like that and very discouraging, but if you get a small unfill and wait a while to give your band a break, you can get a fill later, that is what I did. I hope you feel better.

We Were Banded Just A Few Days A Part From Each Other By Dr. Curry. It's A Small World. The Prilosec Seems To Be Working. I've Felt So Much Better The Past Two Nights.

Tricia- Hi, I Just Wanted To Update You On My Condition. I Tried Everything To Stop The Acid Reflux And food And Stomach Contents From Coming Out My Nose And Nothing Worked. I Tried Different Meds And Home Remedies And They Had No Effect Eathier. So I Finally Went Back To My Doctor And Had All The Fluid Removed From My Band. It Worked! I've Never Had It Again. I Was Defilled For 6 Wks And Gained 10lbs. My Doctor Told Mme That My Band Had Prolapsed More And That's Why I Was Suffering From The Reflux From Too Much Restriction. I Ended Up Going Back To My Surgoen In Mexico And Had A Fill Last Month. It Wasn't Very Much But I Want To Go Slow With The Fills Becuase I Don't Want The Reflux To Come Again. I Ended Up Having An Endoscope And Upper Gi Study In The States To See If The Band Was Slipped Or If I Had Errosion. I Passed It All So That Was Great. This Was All Caused From Being To Tight And Pushing More Food In The Pouch Than What It Could Hold. This Causing Me To Throw Up All The Time. I'm Doing Ok Now But Not Loosing Any Wt Since My Fill 6wks Ago. I've Actually Gained Another 2lbs. I've Schduled Another Fill But Am Only Going To Allow Them To Put In 0.5cc. I Believe That Going Slow With Fills Is The Way To Go. Take Care!

Man O Man, I have had reflux, since getting my last fill. I have tried using the Nexium, but not helping a whole lot, tonite I tried to not eat much after 6 pm and took my Nexium, but I can feel the burping starting. I hope I don't need to get unfilled, cause my doc is on vacation. any encouragement that maybe it will go away, huh??? anyone??? help me

hi

just read your thread my docor has given me zoton fast tabs tha disolve in your mouth l take one eves as thats whem l suffer l try not to eat after 6 liquid meals help in the eves

l had my barium the reflux was not from the stomac but from resedue food left in my uppr band l have not spoken to my surgeon but have been told by his secretary that its been caused by being to tight l go nxt friday for a defill small l hope

ps have had no reflux for two weeks now so do l need a defill!!!

keep in touch wendy

Well I would definately talk to your surgeon on what he would recommend. My nurse told me that there was another patient that had the same problems, and she was getting increasingly worse but didn't tell anybody anything cause, she was enjoying the weight loss and her band ended up slipping, they had to remove the band. But when it was time to put it back, she was "thin" enough" that her insurance no longer was able to pay for it, cause she was not in the same catagory as before. I don't want that to be me, so off to the doctor I go. I hope my defill isn't too bad.

hi

yes l think so l had a very tight restriction so tight that l had bad night time reflux l had to get up my thrat felt burnt l had a barium by that time things had improved l had also lost more weight which l think losene the band a little and l have not suffered since touch wood

wendy

I just started having some occasional problems about a month ago but my last fill was 3 months ago. I have also noticed a little heartburn during the day if I don't eat lunch (hectic schedule). I am going to check with the doctor.

Is it just me or is supposed to take pepcid or tums a long time to work? Sometimes I have to drink a little milk with it and I can not lay down or it will not go away.

I have had my band for 18mths and my reflux has been getting steadily worse, but not during the day only at night when it comes up and I wake up coughing and burning in my throat!!! I have been on medication and had my band reduced but still happens!!! Any suggestions!!!???? I am seeing my doc on wed..

Thanks