Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SMMC LB support group chicas

Hi Wheetsin, no as of today, I still have not had my consultation with Dr. Hoehn, I guess that will come when their office receives notice that insurance is approved. So hopefully, since I just talked to the insurance company yesterday and was told I have been approved that Dr. Hoehn's office will here back very soon. Then I guess the pre-op education class will be scheduled too. Do you know if seeing a cardiologist or having a sleep study is required, I've seen some posts where people indicated they had to do that also, just wondering? Thanks again.

I did not have to see a cardiologist nor do a sleep study. However I did not have any known comorbidities. It may be something that is now standard as the result of changes with the program, but I'm assuming at the time I went they were only required if you had related comorbidities. The only test-type things I had to do were standard pre-surgical chest x-ray, EKG, bloodwork.

The person who referred me to Dr. Hoehn was a former bypass patient of his. She did have sleep apnea, and was required to do a sleep study. She also had to do a lot more bloodwork than I did - not sure why. I've referred several people to him and at least 4 have had the surgery and at least another 4 are in the paperwork/insurance stage. They like to share their stories with me, and I've not heard of any of them needing a cardiologist or sleep study - yet. :tongue2:

Wheetsin, thanks for turning me onto this thread. I am happy to have found such a great group of people going through or who have gone through the process. I too have had my appt. with Sabapathy and will meet with the dietician this week. I am anxious to meet with Dr. H and find out when I can have the surgery. I also attended the support group last Thursday. Do any of you guys still attend?

I did have to visit the Cardiologist and even run on the treadmill (What a laugh that was). But then I had a pre-existing heart issue, so they just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a problem for the surgery.

I do still go to support group meetings. But sadly I no longer with Hoehn's group. I miss seeing everyone there and have been thinking about going back for a visit ever since I heard Billie was back. Who knows one of these months if I ever find the time I might just pop in.

Evelas, congrats you've started your journey through bandland. I'm still on the pre-band journey myself and hope to get a surgery date real soon, just waiting to get the letter from the insurance company and hear from Dr. Hoehn's office for official surgery approval. I called the insurance company last week and was told they approved me so now it's just a waiting game for me :). This website has been a godsend for me and is very informative, I plan to come here for support after surgery too. I also attended last Thursday's support group meeting and found it very interesting, this is the 2nd one I've been too. Maybe we can look each other up if you are going to the next one. I think there is another one in a week or two, if you want to get together at the meeting, private message me with your phone number and I'll give you mine and maybe we can sit together and get to know each other and work on doing this together. I'd love to have a buddy that's having this done to travel down this road to bandland together :crying:.

Ghost, glad to know that the cardiologist appt you had was because of an existing heart condition, maybe, I won't have to see one, but if I do, I'll do whatever is necessary.

Wheetsin, thanks for all your invaluable information, I just keep coming back for more everyday just love this website.

Hey everyone...I can't believe that today is my 1 yr bandaversry. I kept reliving the day over and over again in my mind. I am so happy that I had the band. I am doing things now that I would not have been doing a year ago being so heavy. I am going out to a club tonight for a Valentine's Day party with co-workers and I am DATING!!! Gonna see him again tonight and have plans with him for the weekend. I am LOVING LIFE!!!! Thanks to everyone in support group! You have all made the journey so much easier. I go on Friday the 15th for my visit and weight in. I will let you all know how it goes. Love to all and HAPPY VALENTINES.

Hey everyone...I can't believe that today is my 1 yr bandaversry. I kept reliving the day over and over again in my mind. I am so happy that I had the band. I am doing things now that I would not have been doing a year ago being so heavy. I am going out to a club tonight for a Valentine's Day party with co-workers and I am DATING!!! Gonna see him again tonight and have plans with him for the weekend. I am LOVING LIFE!!!! Thanks to everyone in support group! You have all made the journey so much easier. I go on Friday the 15th for my visit and weight in. I will let you all know how it goes. Love to all and HAPPY VALENTINES.

HAPPY BANDIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over 100 pounds lost in a year! What an amazing Valentines present to yourself! I am so happy for you.

I would love to see you all again, but my schedule doesn't allow for me to go to Hoehn's support group. :cursing:

We might just have to arrange a girls night out sometime soon to catch up or even put faces to some of the newer names on here.

I would like to see Billy again. She was a hoot. I wonder if I could just show up there with some margaritas...

Shoot if there are margaritas involved I'm there!

Seriously if you ever decide to pop in for a suprise visit to Billie one of these months let me know and I'll rearrange my schedule to go that night as well. It would be a hoot.

Do you know if Linda is there in some capacity, or if she is gone completely? She really helped me out with something, and I didn't even know she was gone until I sent her a "thank you" bouquet and it was returned to me.

ETA - Linda the coordinator, not Linda the office nurse.

WOW it's been a long time since I have been on this site. Surprised I haven't been deactivated. Yes it's me.... Hi Angela and Diane! Miss you guys. Diane I can't believe you had the guts to have PS...you look amazing by the way!

Okay...where I have I been I know you are all asking:lol: Wallowing in self pitty and gaining weight like mad. I just this week had to ask myself...why am I gaining weight. I have used all the excuses I can come up with but it comes down to the fact that I am doing NONE of the things I am supposed to be doing. I followed the rules to a T at the beginning and lost almost 150 pounds in a year. But then life hit...I discovered ice cream and cheetos (no thanks to a support group meeting):biggrin: and now I'm here. I have gained back 50 pounds from my all time low.

So I had to ask myself why and now I'm back to recommit. These are the things I need to start doing to get back on track:

1) 60 gms of Protein each day.

2) Stop eating bread (I had an unfill before I went to Hawaii and am now able to eat it again...BIG MISTAKE). But I was literally bullemic (knowingly) prior to having the unfill. If you ask me..binging knowing that I will puke afterwards is a definition of bullemia.

3) Become active on LBT again

4) Go back to Dr Sabopathy to help him "explore my demons that have resurrected".

5) Go back to support groups.

6) Exercise...even if it is only 30 minutes 3 times per week.

7) Quit trying to self-destruct. This truly is a mind thing for me more than physical. I'm NEVER hungry, but I eat to try to feel good, then I just end up feeling miserable.

Anyway...I have just spilled my guts. But I feel that this is what I have to do in order to get back on track. If I don't get off this train..I'm going to be right back where I started a year from now at nearly 400 pounds. I gain weight at warp speed when I am not trying to lose it (sometimes as much as 8-10 pounds a week)!

Good to talk to you all again. Wheets, can't wait to hear from you.

Robyn

Hello all. I just wanted to update you all on my progress, as I hope I am getting closer to being banded. I met with the dietician this week, who went over with me in great detail about all of the foods and Protein supplements I can expect to be both able and unable to have. I will also meet with Dr. Sabapathy again this afternoon, so now I am waiting eagerly to hear from Dr. H's office to call me in. Hopefully then I can know my surgery date and be on my way. I come on this thread a lot and look forward to reading about all of your experiences and successes. If you all end up meeting up, I would love to join in and meet some people! Good luck to you all.