Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Hey everyone!

Two days ago, I tried Jello and pudding for the first time and felt soooo sick! I didn't PB, but I coughed so much that I used numbing spray in my throat to stop that tickle! I'm kind of scared to move past the liquid stage because I feel SO much restriction already. I guess I'm lucky. My mom is now in the mushy stage and is hungry a lot!

Yesterday, I didn't take my pain meds for the first time- I finished the narcatics and my doc gave me something else.

My allergic rash is almost gone too! Boy that was itchy and all over my arms and stomach... I used an entire tube of benedryl and cortizone cream.

I can't really complain though- the second night (first night home) I was able to get in and out of bed right away by myself and I never slept in a recliner! Just with a lot of pillows! I went to Walmart and the Grocery store with my mom on the third day and am feeling satisfied with the liquids. I haven't had much gas pains and no gas in my shoulder. My mom has had horrible pains in her shoulder but she is already healed and 2 of her scars are almost un-noticeable. All of my steri-strips are still on, so I haven't really seen my scars yet... hope they're pretty!

I was doing perfectly until two days ago when I read on the paper that my liquids included jello and pudding. Then, it was pain that night and pain the next day. Yesterday, I could only half of a Protein Drink and 2 skinny cow fudge bars. Today, I feel better but it really scared me to feel stuck with jello and pudding. I'm not sure if I will need a fill or not with that feeling. It was like a rock was in my chest. But I can't complain with what the scale says! I didn't do a pre-op diet and have now lost 13 pounds since the 5th. WOW.

oh and Gatorade is my friend to help me get in the calories since it's been so hard to get over 700 calories. I've been getting about 250 calories a day from the Gatorade. It keeps me functioning!

I go to my post-op appt on Monday and go back to work on Tuesday... I can't wait to do something, because I am SOOO bored!

:)

Jennifer in New Orleans here and I found out 3 days ago that i will be banded next week. It seemed so fast at first but now It seems like it cant be faster! Just wanted to join my proper month group! haha.

-Jennifer

320 dr. lavin 23 yrs old.

Hey Jennifer

we are the same day!

welcome to the July crew.

Add yourself to the list, that makes 4 of us on the 21st.

email me if you want...

Zoe

WE ARE IN BANDLAND!!!

Hi everyone! Stefani & I came home yesterday evening. Our surgeries were pushed back because they did not have our blood work, so everything was delayed.

Now for the nitty gritty - We were pretty out of it yesterday afternoon and evening. It was hard to walk around but we did as much walking as we could.

Tips for banding day -

- Bring a pillow for the ride home

- Wear something that does not require undies of anysort, it is impossible to lean over and pull up your undies or pants for that matter on your own.

- Have you prescriptions ready to go

- Have 2 bottles of liquid tylenol and take every 4 hours to ward off pain.

- Gas is an issue and takes a few days to work though you. We have been taking Mylicon for gas, but I do not like it as it seems to break the gas into smaller bubbles that float around inside me.

- After surgery, be moved to a recliner as soon as possible, sleep off your anestetic this way and your gas and pain will not be as bad.

- PACE YOURSELF, try to get up and move as much as you can but nap often to regain your strength.

- Drink camomille or mint herbal tea. The warmth soothes the belly and helps with discomfort in your inards!

All in all, the surgery was not a cup of tea, but well worth it. We could not imagine doing this on our own.

We have a visitor so I need to run but will post more later!!

Tomorrow is band day for me!

I must admit I'm feeling pretty anxious but also very excited.

Congrats to everyone who has been banded and Good Luck to:

mdg & I'mwiththeband........fellow July 17th bandees!

Will post when I get home.

Jo

I was banded July 12th. Today is my first day of full liquids. I either feel hungry, or full, NO in between. I dont burb like I use to when full, So it's uncomfortable. All I see on TV is food comercials, It has now been 14 days with no food. I am confused weather I did the right thing?

My first 3 days after surgery I wasnt that hungry, But am now?

Help.

Ohhh baby am I excited!

This better be well worth it cus its alot of stuff to go through!

Its awesome to know that there is so much support out there. I had know idea untill I was directed to this site!

There are alot of very strong people in here.

Hope to talk to many of you soon.

Jennifer

Thanks Stephanie!

I don't post often...but I'm reading all the time and the info I've gotten here has been fantastic!

Thanks all.

Jack

New Haven, Connecticut

Dr. Valin 7/17/06

Hi everyone. I was banded on Wed July 12th by Dr. Lavin in Covington, Louisiana. I am down 16 lbs since the beginning of my 2 week diet. The day of surgery and the next were great. I live about 4.5 hours away from the hospital, so I waited til Thurs to go home. I stayed in a little cabin the night after surgery. I guess I still had the good pain meds in my system, because I didn't really start feeling any kind of pain until Friday. I had a lot of chest and back pain on Friday and Saturday. I am having trouble wanting anything to drink or eat for that matter. I can have thin cream Soups, broth, Jello and any other liquid, but all I really want is ice chips. I think I am just scared to try new things. Last night is the first night that I slept lying down and not propped up on pillows. I slept pretty good and was able to get out of bed by myself. I am now sipping on my Atkins drink and trying to get down 4 oz of it. I go back Wednesday for my 1 week checkup and am hoping to feel great by then. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers for my surgery and Good luck to all of you out there who will be banded soon.

I was banded July 12th. Today is my first day of full liquids. I either feel hungry, or full, NO in between. I dont burb like I use to when full, So it's uncomfortable. All I see on TV is food comercials, It has now been 14 days with no food. I am confused weather I did the right thing?

Help.

You did the right thing, and this too shall pass. :) I was really not hungry the first 3 days, but totally famished the last few days. I had thinned pudding this morning for the first time, and it was perfect!! It gets better. Try some gas-x strips for the gas and burping, and make sure you are drinking really slow to help get those burps out before you are full. funniest thing for me is sometimes i need DH to pat on my back like i am a baby. Maybe that will help you if someone can do the same. Good luck!!

Everyone who has just been banded!! WELCOME TO BANDLAND!! Those who are close, Congratz and GOOD LUCK!!! It is an awesome journey so far for me, and I am so excited to see where it heads.

Help.

I felt this way, too...I introduced very runny oatmeal or Cream of Wheat and I felt fine. My doctor said to introduce soft foods when I thought I could handle them, and it went well. There's nothing worse than a growling empty stomach that makes you nauseous. Yes, you did the right thing...just listen to your body and maybe try something. Not everyone is the same...