Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Hi all - just checking in. I continue to do extremely well. I have never had any of the gas pains some of you speak of, so I consider myself very lucky. I'm 8 days out from surgery and can already handle soft foods like Cream of Wheat and pudding. I still have my Protein Shakes the rest of the day, but I was told I could slowly introduce soft foods, so I'm taking it a little at a time.

I just found out tonight that a good acquaintance from a card club (as in scrapbooking and stamping) has started the process to Lap Band land. She didn't know I had this done. She was telling a mutual friend last Thursday about her decision and the friend told her I had had it done the day before! Small world. Anyway, I told her about this great site and how helpful and supportive everyone is, so hopefully she'll take a gander :)

I have been feeling the port when I move certain ways the last day, but it's not painful by any means. It just kind of makes you go, "whoa, there's something in there!" Glad to hear you new bandsters are doing well.

I'm 8 days out from surgery and can already handle soft foods like Cream of Wheat and pudding. I still have my Protein Shakes the rest of the day, but I was told I could slowly introduce soft foods, so I'm taking it a little at a time.quote]

That would be the day I start singing.. "what a feeling.... what a feeling" LOL Wow that must be so exciting.. to finally eat "real" food. Good for you.

I am having an uncomfortable feeling that is just not allowing me to get to sleep. It is driving me nuts. I am going to post a seperate thread about it, but if any of you have some tricks, let me know.

So happy to hear everyone is doing well. I can't wait to move to full liquids cause i am STARVING tonight. it is driving me nuts. LOL

As for releasing gas in the mall, no...that did not happen, but I sure did burp up a storm in the guest house room, and rob said my breath smelled like antiseptic lol

Surgery Updates ~ I'll be deleting my old updates, to shorten the thread.

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->01) July 03 - giggle3474

02) July 03 - dsh0917

03) July 03 - pugchick

04) July 04 - jlm20639

05) July 05 - canada sunshine

06) July 05 - eric's mom

07) July 05 - leona06

08) July 05 - july5forme

09) July 05 - Donna Marie

10) July 05 - DaniellaBella

11) July 05 - kstrehlow

12) July 06 - Olive

13) July 06 - loriely

14) July 07 - Chuckle

15) July 08 - time 2 live

16) July 08 - almost ready76

17) July 10 - fishy

18) July 10 - mysherrijo

19) July 10 - funnyduddies

20) July 10 - rubyband

21) July 11 - marlluvia

22) July 11 - ubermom1

23) July 12 - triciaself

24) July 12 - Kelley B

25) July 12 - Huggs 040

26) July 13 - gochevy3

27) July 13 - GrannyAces

CONGRATS TO THOSE NAMES LISTED ABOVE, YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY IN BANDLAND!!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL! :clap2: :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

28) July 14 - hip mom

29) July 14 - gatorrev

30) July 14 - Stesti

31) July 14 - biggirlpantiez

32) July 17 - jojo41

33) July 17 - I'm with the band

34) July 17 - MDG

35) July 18 - Dody

36) July 20 - Ikc

37) July 21 - vintagehound

38) July 21 - Paulax

39) July 21 - mferra

40) July 25 - velvetkiss

41) July 25 - Halobabe

42) July 25 - JenMomto3

43) July 25 - luvtoluv

44) July 27 - sabrinajoanne & hubby

45) July 27 - time to love me

46) July 27 - julip

47) July 27 - oktwigs

48) July 28 - giblert

49) July 31 - lizzilo

50) July 31 - New bander

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

:) hi Everyone,

I was banded yesterday!! (july 13th) by Dr Morand in Augusta maine. so far, so good...slight soreness over the port incision. I hope sugar-free Jello continues to taste so decedant!!!

Andrea

Congrats Caper! Woo Hoo!

Today I go to my first post op at 1030 eastern. I am very excited to see what I have lost. I have not stepped on a scale since the day after surgery where I lost 8 (think it is Water mostly). But hey, weight is weight.. hee hee.. people have noticed, mostly in my face but my mom saw me yesterday after not seeing me for almost a week and was very surprized and she said she was proud of me!

As far as eating, Yesterday I just had to add more Protein. I was feeling icky and felt like I needed the energy. I had some cottage cheese, and some tuna and boy do I feel better!!!! This morning I had some scrambled egg and will have some applesauce. (I have been eating applesauce all along cuz I have to take crushed medication)

Where are you, my dear, Bella Daniella!!??

I hope you are doing well.. miss our chats! And hello to all my other July 5th banders.. How ya doing??

Hugz,

DonnaMarie:)

Yes we had a great time last night! It was lots of fun and it's even a better way of getting to know each other. Funny, Funny and more fun. No cussing allowed.. ROFLMFAO

KMO is in da house.

LMo.. where are you????

I'm right here! Sorry guys,had to work late last night and all of my recent "late night excursions" had me pooped. I went to bed early last night!

Update- I paid my deposit yesterday and found my flight! It feels like it's really gonna happen now!

hello everybody.

I am glad that everyone is doing so well.

I still doing okay. I am 9 days out now. I'm not sure about my healing progress. I think i might just be a little inpatient. :bored My port site got pretty sensitive the last couple days so i had to go back on the pain meds. Boy! Do those pain meds work. :notagree The port incision is a bit larger than i expected it to be so that coul explain why it is taking longer to heal.

All the port site are fine though. I don't even feel those. I've been trying to move around and mostly stretch. I am just ready to get better so that i can start doing more before i have to go back to work. My doctor gives me 6 weeks off of work. I can't afford to take all six i decided on 2 weeks. I just want to do stuff other than sit around and heal.

As far as food goes. I still haven't moved on to any soft foods yet. I'm trying to stay off of those as long as i can. My dr says this will prolong the post op weight loss process. So i'm hoping i can hold out till my appt on the 21st. Liquids seem to be doing the job for now.

Its really weird about how my outlook on food has changed. I really thought i had an eating problem before surgery. I just loved to eat even when i wasn't hungary i just had to have food. Mostly fast food. I ate large portions of food at home and just never wanted to stop. But now I really haven't had the urge to eat any of those foods. I think the band did something to my brain. Its like my brain knows i can't have it so it just stopped sending me all those signals that tell me to eat everything around.

I'm very happy about that. I guess that's why i'm sort of afraid to start eating soft foods because i might not know when to stop or i'll only eat the wrong things.

well that's my looooong story for now.

uh, venting. feels pretty good.

thanks for listening.

Morning julysters,

hip mom, gatorrev, Stesti, biggirlpantiez you are in my thoughts today.....

jojo41, I'm with the band, MDG your date is soon, Have a relaxing weekend.

LMo, (hope you like your name, Elmo) LOL

I am happy for you, It won't be long now before you are BANDED ..... Yeahhh... Missed you last night but will talk to you soon....

To all you BIG BROTHER fans Allison is GONE YEAHHHHHHH!!!!

Thanks for all the bandies for posting their experiences, I promise I will do the same. I told my Dh I was going to take the laptop to the hospital So I can give you a min by min detail.. LOL Maybe it will get my mind off being so nervous..

Has anyone heard from Giggle3474, dsh0917, pugchick,Canada Sunshine or Donna Marie? I saw that Leona's Mom had posted that she was doing great!! I hope all the others are too. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

I was banded on July 3 and am doing terrific. I have lost 16 pounds total including my semi preop diet. I had a start weight of 191 lost to 186 at surgery and am am now at 175 post op. I did have severe nausea right after surgery and thought I might have torn my stitches, but I didn't. I was given a shot after an hour and half of wretching which stopped the vomiting but not the nausea. I had surgery at 4:00 pm and was out by 5:45. I began to feel well by 10:00 am. No problems since. Dr. Sanchez was my doc and he was terrific. Two other ladies also had surgery the same day with him, but I haven't heard how they are doing. Thanks to all here for your support. I am 5' 1"

Hello All,

Well I’ve been banded for 4 days now and today is the first day I haven’t started my day off w/pain killers.

Yesterday I only had them in the AM and before I went to bed.

<O:p

My surgery day went well. At the Post Surgery Diet Class I met a woman named Alma who was going in an hour or so before me on the 11<SUP>th</SUP>.

I met up with her in our rooms. She was not doing so well, she felt nauseated from it all.

I am happy to say that I didn’t have that feeling at all. All of my RN’s and CNA’s where wonderful. I had a great experience from Scripps Green Hospital in <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:City w:st=San Diego</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">CA</st1:State> from the get go.

I was so tired that I was falling asleep while in the check in room (the room you go into before they put you on a gurney). I saw Dr. Brunson in the post surgery room and he woke me up too. He said “it’s not time to sleep yet”. Then I was off to surgery and don’t remember anything until I woke up in recovery.

My surgery was delayed by an hour because Dr. Brunson had an emergency surgery that morning. So I didn’t go in until close to 11.

My DH was worried; I was only suppose to be in surgery for 1.5 hours and it’s now been close to 3 and now one could tell him why.

Dr. Brunson did come out finally and explain why and that all went well and both the gallbladder and the band were done.

I did get hunger that night and asked for Jello. But I really didn’t have an apatite while in the hospital. I was really trying to get ride of my dry mouth so I ate a lot of ice.

At home now I’ve been eating a lot of Jello and drinking Propel. DH made me some beef broth and it was good but I’m not craving that as much as I am the Jello.

I was feeling a pinching effect on my left side when getting up out of bed. I called the nurse and she said that it a normal feeling and will go away.

Today it’s a lot better when getting up. I don’t feel it as much now.

4 day out and feeling fine.

Melia

Everyone sounds so great!!! Glad you all are feeling fine. I woke up this morning (yes, I finally slept last night and it was GOOD!) feeling AWESOME! No port pain, no gas pain. I am still burping but nothing is getting stuck. Thank god. I drank a boost drink this morning, and that is it. I need to start drinking more Water. I feel great, lots of energy, but I am not going to go out and run a marathon. Just taking it easy. We drive to Georgia tomorrow to pick up our kids. It will be nice to see them again. My incisions are healing really well, and my bruising is finally turnng yellow. I asked the doctor why I had so much bruising as opposed to what others looked like, and he said it was because of all the heprin I had to take. Off to find some jello!!

:update: :update: :update: :update: :update:

Hey Gang! Went to see Dr. Yood and my incisions look great. He showed me where my port is and I felt it. It was soooo weird!

Now, I lost 8 more lbs! So that is a total of 16 lbs from my starting weight back a week prior to surgery! I am very happy with the results. I did get a little beef from the nurses because I ate tuna yesterday and I progressed myself when I shouldn't of have. I just felt like I needed protein! She said she appreciated my honesty. But, she put me on mushies now anyway so I can have tuna, chicken and turkey as long as it is chopped up and what not. So I only cheated by one day. But from now on, I am by the book. She said if I get hungry during snack time, to have Protein and eat alot of protein so I am going to get some shakes to help with that.

Well that is all I got! I head back to work once I am over the mushy stage. So around August 7th. I am glad for the extra time. I am diabetic so have to be sure everything is healing nicely. As far as my regular life, my significant other has moved in! *blushes* We are progressing things to the next level and He is soo supportive. First thing he said to me this morning when I told him about the appointment was, "I am proud of you honey".. That means more than anything!

Well, I am off to the grocery store to get a few things! Toodles everyone!

Hugz,

DonnaMarie :)

I guess that's why i'm sort of afraid to start eating soft foods because i might not know when to stop or i'll only eat the wrong things.

I was worried about the same thing...but you really CAN'T over eat...your stomach will tell you when to stop. Eat slowly so your brain can register that you're full. The band is at the top of your stomach for a reason - that's where the sensors of fullness are. As far as eating the wrong things, just watch your sugar intake and get your Protein for the day and you'll be fine...and drink the water!!

Day 9 and doin' fine :)