Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

Update: I have dropped an additional 10 pounds. I am now 164 pounds with a BMI of 22.9. I never dreamed of getting this low, but it feels absolutely amazing.

paulax great job you have done!!!! nice to hear from some of lthe july "06 crew. still slow but still losing i am just 7lbs short of my goal but could stand to lose 27 more!!!

paulax great job you have done!!!! nice to hear from some of lthe july "06 crew. still slow but still losing i am just 7lbs short of my goal but could stand to lose 27 more!!!

My goal was 15 pounds ago. I find myself declaring goal, only to drop another 5 or 10 pounds. It may take weeks or months, but I seem to maintain, then drop. I think it is important to check in every once in awhile. It shows this band is for life. And I am sure glad I have it in my life.

Paula: So proud of you! You have worked this band well! I'm still struggling along but I will get there! I'm determined even if it takes me 5 years...LOL. It would be a nice Christmas present but I'm not sure that will be realistic. I am in a group off of chat that encourages one another and we are in a challenge now. So, hoping I can get some more off. I had a bit of a gain (boohoo) but it was my own fault. Had a slight unfill and took advantage of it. But, I will go forward!! Keep in touch. I look on here once in awhile! Wonder if many of the others are at goal or struggling like I have. But, I won't give up and they shouldn't either!!

You have inspired me by reading your success story!!

Hi!

Is anyone still out there? It is the beginning of a new year so I thought I would look to the site for some support, but it looks like everyone has left):

I was down to 159 at the lowest, but have slipped back up to 185. I want to get back on the wagon.

I hope all is well and everyone is still losing/maintaining!

Olive

Hi! I'm still here, just not done as well as I had hoped, so I don't post. I started at 275 and got down to 200. Now I am pregnant and back up to 208. I'm only 6 weeks, so I fear I will gain quite a bit. I know I can lose again after the baby comes, but it is nice to know that I am not the only one out there to struggle. Good luck on your journey and I wish you well.

I'm still here too. Mainly I am on chat and have found a little group of gals who were banded about a year after us that I hang with.

I am still around 70 down and over 72.25 inches. Over the summer, I had a small gain (10-15) from eating a lot of junk and ice cream. In October, I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. Well, that has been going wonderfully. I lost 17 lbs. of body fat in 6-7 weeks and gained 10 of lean muscle. So the scale said a loss of 7. But, I lost 7% body fat and over 10 more inches from the beginning of my time with trainer. I need to remeasure all the places I measure and recalculate my inch loss. I have definitely gotten smaller, but the scale doesn't show that. I'm being patient and have not weighed as much either. I know that if I eat properly according to bandster rules, etc. and workout, I will reach my goal!

I plan to do this in the next 12 months. I am continuing with at least 1x a week training and then go to the gym 4-5 more times for the program he sets me up on and for cardio days, too.

We have all found that the band is not some "magical" pill but that it can help us and has. Don't lose site of that. Also, in your pregnancy, don't let that give you a license to just eat all you want and the wrong stuff. Keep it out of your house if possible.

You have both lost weight with the band and done awesome. This is a journey, not just a trip. We can't lose sight of that!

Take care!!!

triciaself & ready2bthin - Good to hear from you!

Although my results were not as dramatic as I had hoped, I don't have any complaints about the band. The doctors and literature say you can expect to lose and keep off an average of 50% of your excess body weight...which is just about where I am. I guess the rest is on me:) I would probably be back to 230 or more without it.

I do know that it is still a good tool if I get back to the rules.

The trainer is a great idea...I never work out, I only walk (usually 2-3 miles a day).

My goal is to make it down to my true goal (140) by September.

Thanks for the support guys, I really think it helps!

Olive

Olive: I must agree with you on support. My support group off of the lbt chat that I'm a part of has been wonderful! I'm encouraged and uplifted by them. So, I will pass that on to you on here, too! Having a goal is great. I think it's reasonable, too, but you may have to change things up a bit with your exercise. When I started at the gym (24 hour fitness) and started working with the personal trainer you saw that I had great results and will continue to see those. I feel great and am thoroughly enjoying working out. Now, it does help that I have a hot, young guy helping me...LOL!! No, really, he is goodlooking but mainly he is a great trainer! He has been so great with me that I actually enjoy the workout! I've been consistent since October and although on vacation for 2 weeks up in Michigan, I got in 4x of exercise which wasn't bad. We were in the car for 4 days..driving there and back and then holidays, etc. Today was my first day back and it felt so great to be back at the gym. Oh, I also wear a bodybug which measures my calories that I burn and steps I take. I download into a program from the gym and log my food too. That has helped TREMENDOUSLY!! I was always resistant to log my food. It has helped me to see where I overeat in certain categories, etc. and with the bodybug, I know how much I can have to achieve weightloss!! Anyway, hope this helps you and others to get back on the wagon!!! I'm on and I'm not getting off this time....my phrase for the new year is..."Looking and feeling fine in 09"

I was banded in July 2006, I was 397 pre surgery, and 347 they day of surgery. I am now 217. I would like to see 199. I am very happy with my 180 pound over all loss. 150 of it has been with the band. I had 4 fills the first 2 years, and have not seen my Doctor since mid 2007...yikes. I was self pay and I am scared that I may have some slippage or pouch distension. Almost every meal is painful and most are "pb"ed. At night I have horrible heartburn and 4 hours after falling asleep, I wake up to thow up...even if I have not eated in over 8 hours! I have tried prilosec, zantac 2 million tums, prescription acid reducers. I have resorted to liquids for 2 weeks with little change, I have tried mushies for 2 weeks with less change. I am worried. I have an appointment next month with my surgeon. Was anyone had any problems like these? :smile:

You need to be seen by your doctor ASAP! If you can get in sooner, please do so. If your band is slipped, they can sometimes fix it by taking the liquid out of it. But, it definitely sounds like something is wrong with your band if you are being completely honest about trying liquids for 2 weeks, mushies for 2 weeks. If you just had some "irritation" and swelling that would have been relieved with liquids, etc. I recommend calling your doctor back and getting in to see him sooner if he has an opening. Your symptoms are NOT normal! Please seek help! You have had success with your band and do not want to lose it and end up gaining all that weight back. Take care of the problem now.

Edited by ready2bthin
wanted to add some more instruction

don't be afraid friend. You must find out what the problem is so you can fix it.

It may be something benign which can be easily fixed or it may be something more critical which MUST be fixed so you don't have further complications which can be alot more expensive than just an upper gi series. Somethings that come to mind are obviously band slippage, but could be gall bladder (I just had mine out a few months ago and thought I had a blockage-nausea, vomiting, extreme gas and bloating and pain) could be hormonal fluctuations with irritation combined but no matter what be kind to yourself and find out.

I am also self pay fyi and my port flipped last year and it cost almost $4000 to have it fixed. They filed with my insurance which I could practically hear the ins. company laughing all the way from the claims office-DENIED. I then asked for the cash discount from the surgeon's office because I was originally self-pay which lowered it to around $800. So make sure to ask both the dr's office and the hospital about cash discount when you get there and keep us updated.

Im still here too. I can not believe it it already close to 3 years ago... I lost a difficult 55 lbs in the first year after surgery....was down to a low 209..had a large cyst and one ovary removed and bam, Pregnant. I now have the most beautiful baby in the world....not bias of course. I wanted a baby for a long time and am so glad I got the band. Unfortunately, I got unfilled in the third month of pregnancy and have been unfilled since! I did really well during the pregnancy and kept my weight down. After birth I was up to 225, only gained 15lbs. My baby just turned one year and I am still unfilled. Now up to 245. I am so frustruated and dissapointed in myself. I still have restriction, but obviously not enough. I am all the way in Chico, way north of sacramento and have not had luck finding a fill doc here. I am so ready! Working on a couple leads for a fill. I don't want to go to TJ for it, it is so far! I am still glad it all has happened this way and looking foward to a fill. Just came peeking around to get some encouragement. Thanks to all of you still posting it gives me drive to see how well you have done. I know I can get down again and my daughter is amazing!

Hi! I am feeling so much better! I had a prolaspe and needed to get my old band removed and a new generation band put back in. I was barfing and cramping so badly. I had to go to the ER. My insurance took too long after I saw my surgeon to let me know what they would or wouldn't pay, so now they can just figure it out later...

I am back to square one as far as the diet goes... Clear Liquids for a one week post op. The difference this time is that I am 175 pounds lighter! I now weigh 215 from 389 (pre-surgery weight.) My goal is to see 199 and hopefully I can get there before my first fill of this new band!

weight.png

I hope that some one comes along and reads this.

I need someone to talk to. I need support.

It's been 3 years and I've only lost 20 pounds. The good thing is that I haven't gained any of it back.

I'll keep checking back. Let's start talking again.