Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speak up those with leaks & infections!

I hope you have some people close by for support. Please let us know if you feel need to speak to anyone, I will be available...just PM me. Let us know how you are doing as you recover and thanks for posting. Your in my prayers.

Mary I understand your frustration. I have been trying really hard to stay completely open-minded about this whole thread. I've been trying to just read what eveyrone posts and then decide who sounds more credible.

Well I have come to the conclusion that the people whose posts I've read who have had complications and complaints about the doctor and the clinic sound far more credible than those posts defending them.

And that is totally without any insider knowledge of any kind. And that is not to say that I am wishing this debate had never happened or that I want to stop reading it. In fact, I am fascinated by it. To think that some people - a number of people - who have gone to one particular doctor have had similar stories of their post-operative care, which are quite frankly horrible, is damning evidence no matter what the opposing team tries to come up with to discredit them.

At least two of the people who are defending the doctor and clinic seem to be motivated by personal gain. The people who have posted their bad experiences do not have that motivation. They seem to be posting their health issues with us just as people share their good experiences - it's simply what they're going through and they want others to benefit from the information they're sharing with us.

It's tough for the doctor and clinic to have people come here and tell things that their patients went through when they are not happy and glowing reports. But it is what it is and nothing anyone else says - like EVERY doctor has complications - is going to change what they experienced. And as further evidence there have been some posts from patients who did not have complciations but who have stated that they probably would not recommend the doctor to their friends.

By the same token, there have been some posts by some of their patients who have said that they had a good experience and would recommend the doctor and clinic. So it's up to each and everyone of us who reads this thread to make up our own minds where we want to go for surgery and who we want to do it. I've made up my mind.

I personally wouldn't take a chance on going to a place that might - only MIGHT - have questionable medical treatment practices. I would choose a doctor and hospital that I knew for sure had all the things I expect from a doctor and medical facility before turning my life over to them. If it meant that I needed to save more money to have the surgery then that's what I would do. But then, that's just me.

Driver63, I too am very sorry to hear that you experienced a leak. I must tell you that on this particular thread though, if you want to tell a convincing story to help us, it would be very helpful if you would post where exactly you had your surgery in the states.

And it would interest me personally to know if you knew about the 1% rate by reading about it here or did your doctor tell you that? Is your surgical doctor treating you? What did they do when you went to othe ER? Will they have to do surgery to repair the leak? Do you have to worry about pneumonia? With the stent and JP, do they think that will fix the problem permanently?

What have they told you is your prognosis? Are you okay now?

In other words, it would be beneficial if you would tell us your whole story, when you are up to it, of course.

We're all pulling for you.

IMMORE, who says this isn't a debate. I agree that it probably shouldn't be. But the very nature of the topic is going to affect people differently and having a discussion or even a debate isn't too surprising. Does the debate aspect of it make you uncomfortable?

I't only natural for a person who successfully undergoes this surgery out of the US to want to share of their good experience. Stoongal did just that! She suffered zero complications and thrived post surgery and made it known...(she was also very supportive to those of us who had difficulty adjusting post surgery). When a complication arose and she could see FIRST HAND (and not through the rose colored glasses of her success), she was fair and honest in her reassessment of the facility. It is terrible to know that if one suffers a complication due to carelessness within a surgical facility, anywhere...that they should be apprehensive about making it known in a forum such as this. As I've previously stated, to belittle someone for speaking out about what they have witnessed, through "hearsay" accusation adds insult to injury and is despicable behavior.

Well I think that trying to influence someone to choose a doctor or clinic, knowing that they take unnecessary risks that can cause infection, is irresponsible and self-serving. I hope that is not the case here. I hope this is just a case of both sides having an honest assessment of the doctor and hospital, in spite of the fact that their experiences and posts are diametrically opposed to one another.

I have a sneaking suspicion that money motives could be at work on one side of the equation although I sincerely hope and wish that is not the case. But it seems to be what makes the most sense regarding some of the arguments.

Um educationrulz...u start off saying ur not a rude person and say your sorry many times in ur post when u slam pnw218...r u kidding me? Your condescending and accusatory comments when she simply states her opinion is exactly what this forum is about! Come down off ur pedastal and join the human race sweetie...we're all supporters here! Def no need for ur hatefulness it's called tact! I read her posts as well as yours...she does say many times that there were some complications at the clinic and also states all surgeons have them! There is absolutely no problem with her supporting her doctor as well as everyone else supporting theirs! Some people on here feel that passionately about their doctors...good for them...opinions vary! We all can agree to disagree!

Um educationrulz...u start off saying ur not a rude person and say your sorry many times in ur post when u slam pnw218...r u kidding me? Your condescending and accusatory comments when she simply states her opinion is exactly what this forum is about! Come down off ur pedastal and join the human race sweetie...we're all supporters here! Def no need for ur hatefulness it's called tact! I read her posts as well as yours...she does say many times that there were some complications at the clinic and also states all surgeons have them! There is absolutely no problem with her supporting her doctor as well as everyone else supporting theirs! Some people on here feel that passionately about their doctors...good for them...opinions vary! We all can agree to disagree!

Thank you Bkind. I really appreciate the kind words. You said what I wanted to say but figured it wouldn't be properly understood and I would just be accused of another crime. Maybe coming from someone else will get the point across, but I'm not holding my breath : )

Thanks again. I know you and I are friends but don't agree on everything, so I am very thankful for your words. And you are so right - agree to disagree. It's how I have stayed married for over 17 years.

pnw218, I'm curious... do you work for the doctor and/or clinic in question? No accusations or recriminations here, just wondering because hasn't it been said that you do?

pnw218, I'm curious... do you work for the doctor and/or clinic in question? No accusations or recriminations here, just wondering because hasn't it been said that you do?

I absolutely do not. I have said so before : ) Those who have insinuated that I do work there, are wrong. I paid 100% of my own expenses when I went down with Tiffany last week and was treated as the companion of anyone else who goes down there. Some of the staff did recognize me tho from two months ago, commented on how great I looked, and we casually chatted.

If someone asks me, I will tell them who I used as a coordinator and provide her contact info. She will pay a $25 referral fee but I told her from the beginning that I did not want even that from her. I was just happy to refer someone that I was happy to work with and responded quickly to my questions. And - I told her that right after I got back from my surgery - before the drama about this dr/clinic started up again. I would be happy to forward that email to you if you want to pm me with your email address.

There were a couple of services that didn't ever respond to my initial inquiries or responded a week afterwards. By then I had already made my plans. This trip, I was going to get some minor dental work done - just to further justify the trip, and the dental coordinator took almost 2 weeks to get back to me with a quote, even tho I had told her initially when I would be there. If anyone asks, I will gladly provide that info as well. When I finally received the price, I was already back in town. Guess they didn't need my money afterall. LOL

Thanks for asking BJean. I appreciate being able to answer that question.

Edited by pnw218

I find it so comical that I can be personally attacked, be called names for a simple opinion and then those very people that have done it to me, sit here and point fingers at others. Especially with the hearsay comments. I have been accused of that on more than one occasion, but I've seen it so many times throughout this thread that I lost count. There's always 3 sides to every story, one party's side, the other's party side, and then the entire truth without emotion and based on simple facts. Unfortunately, no one has been able to get the entire truth because no one is willing to accept both people's side of the story without judgment especially one side of the story holds some sort of negativity against their chosen surgeon. Complications, and difficulties are shrugged off or the patient is blamed. For me, I find that absolutely disgusting behavior. While I do not wish any complications on any person, I am appalled by the fact they want to point fingers, and shame a person when they didn't have the complication, and have to endure the physical and emotional side of recovery. I often wonder how they would feel if those people if they were on the receiving end of the finger pointing, and have their complications/struggles shrugged off as 'ohh it happens everywhere, or what if they caused it'. Absolutely sickening.

Seriously, it's okay for some to do it, and be coddled for it. But, heaven forbid someone say they wouldn't use a certain surgeon because the facility and doctor does not meet one's standards of care, it's crime against humanity, and holds no truth because I didn't have a personal experience with said surgeon. Well, the big difference here is that I've never bashed any surgeon. I've stated which surgeon I would use, I've stated why I would choose a certain surgeon over another, but not once have I bashed a surgeon, or any patient that chooses to use someone that I would not choose for myself.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I knew I wouldn't use a surgeon that didn't meet certain requirements, or have surgery in a facility that didn't meet MY standards. And, regardless of what anyone person here thinks of me, my opinion will never change. Especially, when I see so many people come out in droves to defend a surgeon with the excuse that these things happen everywhere.

Hmmmm, let's see I have never read, or seen any complaints of massive infections, leaks, perforated bowels from Jossart, Cirangle, Gagner, Ungston, Aceves, Zapata, Nicholson, Adencio, Kim, or Barker just to name a few of the extremely reputable, and well known sleeve surgeons in Mexico and the US, all of those surgeons have done surgeries for several more years than said surgeon/facility yet we never read about these types of issues. And why is that, in my opinion, because they take the necessary precautions and operate within certain parameters to ensure patient safety and a successful surgery without hoards of complications rolling out of their hospitals.

Bottom line, hopefully those that have complications can share their experience and those with stellar experiences can share their story without judgment or feeling as if they are going to be bashed.

Edited by Tiffykins

I said the EXACT same words as your bottom line good to know we all feel the same way!