Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speak up those with leaks & infections!

Honie49, give us the benefit of your knowledge. Who have you spoken directly to that confessed that they lied about complications?

I am not going to get caught up in all this political mess. I will say this, I would love to personally sue a certain someone for telling me false things about Jerusaleum Clinic. To scare me to death about my daughters health just so you thought I would change my surgery to the doctor you are now working for....shame on you! That being said, my story goes like this.........In Feb. of 2009, my daughter and I both had lap band surgery by Dr. Almanza. No problems.......In Jan. 2010 daughter was revised and I had to have my band removed because of errosion. April 2010 (just last week) my husband and I had a sleeve. All these procedures were done by Almanza. I find him and his clinic to be both professional. We have never had an infection or complications. I thank my stars everyday that there is a healthy option to obesity surgery for those of us that do not have insurance coverage. I know how hard it is doing the research...please don't listen to all this garbage about Almanza........I think he is great.

Surgery sleeve Dr. Almanza April 14, 2010

AMEN. But don't waste your breath - or your fingers. I am down in TJ for the second time in two months and have been to both of the locations they use. The Jerusalem Clinic and the Vida Hospital. I was a patient during my first visit and this time I am the companion, so I have seen it from both sides.

These are very talented, kind hearted people.

I do not believe in any way that this Dr and clinic have any higher percentage of complications than any where else.

For those who continue to say that any doctor has a perfect record - I hope that one day you will realize just how narrowminded and unrealistic that truly is. I highly doubt that anyone on this board has first hand knowledge of any surgeon's complete record and that every single patient has even checked back in with their doctor once they returned home.

While down here, I have asked specific questions to a variety of people - patients, coordinators and staff. It is pretty interesting to hear "the rest of the story". I do understand that there are two sides and I am not in any way saying that either side is 100% correct. I do believe that there are some aspects being omitted or swung in a particular direction by both sides.

And on both of my trips down here - Dr. Almanza has either postponed or refused to perform a surgery on a prospective patient. The first had cancer that had not been previously disclosed; and was required to have exams by other drs/surgeons before surgery could be done. I did not speak to that patient personally, however they were at the clinic when I was there. The second patient is here now and I have spoken to her and her husband. She had a stroke three weeks ago, this was not disclosed to the dr ahead of time, and he is sending her home without surgery.

It is unfortunate that there is such a vendetta against this dr and clinic.

Hopefully for those who want to use this clinic and doctor, they will feel comfortable to do so. Surgical complications can happen anytime, anyplace and anywhere, in the US or abroad. I truly do not feel this location is any different than anyone else.

I'm trying to imagine why someone would have a GOOD experience, love their doctor, have no problems and lie and say they did. Am I missing something??!!!

pnw, it is good to get your perspective on the situation at that clinic. We do appreciate it.

I am not sure that I understand the "vendetta" aspect of your post, however. That's essentially what I'm trying to understand. Who has a vendetta? Why does someone have a vendetta against Dr. Alamanza and the clinic? What has convinced you that someone has a vendetta against them?

I'm trying to understand, I really am. Information posted has been very forthright about at least a couple of people's less than stellar experiences there. And there are other posts that may or may not be valid or true. So that's what I, for one, would like to understand... which posts are lies and who lied?

My doctor has not had any complications with his surgical procedures relating to the lap band or sleeve conversions. (Although I am certain he has not had the number of cases that Dr. Alamanza has.) But to suggest that I am lying or that my very fine, very well-respected doctor might be covering up the fact that he really has had complications is simply not true.

When you say that your experiences with Dr. Alamanza and the clinic have been very good and that you are extremely happy with the treatment and results you have gotten from your surgery, I certainly would not presume to question you! Of course you are totally believable and I am very happy that you have had such a good experience that you would not hesitate to recommend them.

On the other hand, you and a couple of other posters have suggested that some people who have posted have lied, or that someone is making up posts that are untrue and you've even suggested that someone has a vendetta against the doctor and clinic. I would appreciate it if you would name names and explain why you believe there's a vendetta and if you believe that every complication that has been written about here has been untrue.

It would be very helpful to all of us if we had the real story. Otherwise, this is all very difficult to sort out.

I hope that you and Tiffany continue to have a great experience there and you have a safe and uneventful trip back.

I'm trying to imagine why someone would have a GOOD experience, love their doctor, have no problems and lie and say they did. Am I missing something??!!!

No, I do not think that is the situation at all. It is more likely those who are purposefully posting negative posts who are either fired, disgruntled employees or are associated with other clinics.

I do believe complications happen everywhere. I spoke to a coordinator earlier today who confirmed the above instance of the sister having problems. There are some details that may be questionable - and that is my opinion after hearing the other version of the situation.

There also seems to be alot of people who jump on the band wagon when they don't have first hand knowledge or are extremely passionate about "their" doctor being the best and only choice.

I think I would have been happy with any doctors or clinics; however I chose the one I did and am very satisfied with my care.

But then, most of this is all old news. And the haters for the sake of hating will continue.

NtcTxn, that's what I'm sayin'. I don't get it.

If you read back, Alex has stated that he has removed people using multiple screen names and were posting unsubstantiated stories.

Shirley, a former coordinator, was fired recently. She apparently used to post on here as a happy Almanza patient and since being fired has been berating the clinic.

The vendetta is easy, and to me, obvious. It is all about money. We see it with mainstream businesses every day. Someone comes in, charges less and then everyone else hates them. I know people who refuse to shop at Walmart because many of their products supposedly come from sweat shops.

BJean - I am not calling you a liar. You believe what your surgeon told you. If he has truly never had any complications whatsoever, to any degree - then I would be curious to know how many surgeries he has done. If his surgery numbers are low - then based on percentages, his complications could be low. 1% of 100 = 1, 1% of 200 = 2, and so on.

I also love my cosmetic surgeon in the US. He does many surgeries every week. Even tho I had a great experience with him - I would never even expect him to have a perfect record. It just does not seem realistic to me at all.

Unfortunately, no one will ever truly be able to tell who is truthful, who is lying, who is mostly telling the truth but bending it just a bit. Perception of an experience is going to vary by each person, just as each person is very passionate about what they believe; it is true in their mind whether it is true "in the real world" or not.

In the long run, I hope people do lots of research, try to talk personally (like not over the internet but a real voice) to people who have been thru surgery with the clinic or doctor they are checking out, use alot of common sense and not over react to sensationalism.

Hey I admitted that my doctor hasn't done the number of surgeries that it sounds like Alamanza has. But honestly it is not a given that doctors all have a certain percentage of complications, period. If a doctor is performing surgery, one does expect that complications can occur. But there are actually doctors out there who do not experience serious complications.

What you've told me about disgruntled employees makes sense. And I certainly know that there are always two sides to a story. Divorce is a prime example of that, right?

But I haven't been privy to all the history of what actually went down and that is the reason I've been trying to get more information.

The fact that there are two very opposite and vocal opinions being posted makes it interesting but confusing at the same time.

I am happy that you have taken the time to help me out and I'm sure there are lots of peeps lurking who have been wondering about the same questions.

Please don't think that I cast aspersions on your doctor. I'm only trying to figure out what is being posted and what makes the most sense. (Wonder why that person Shirley, got fired?) See, there is really no end to the questions that pop up every time someone writes something... LOL

Honie49 if you didn't want to part of it you should have not step into the line. ok. this is the reason why many people don't post because of people like YOU who feel the compell need to go about stateing "their" facts. but everyones else is a lie???? and yours is the truth. ALL OF YOU PEOPLE who feel the need to discreidt have nothing to say about why do posts get delete? we know that is true but you never have nothing to say. why is the place such a big issuses surrounding it. nope you never touch on that one either. just everyone hating on DR. A because he the best??? yea whatever . why was i in a hot house with a fever and a infection again no one touching that one. or how they had a out break of infections. again no one touching that fact. i mean the list goes on and on. Dr. B not a doctor?? that ok again know one touching that just everything that shaded gray. i guess that easier to make up excuses about. again great if your time there was fine and you made out by the grace of god but stop challenge everyone who didn't. (oh and i know you didn't talk to me and felt the need to speak my "garbage" as you state about this just so many know i'm young and had no real health problems and it happen to me and it not the fact i got the infection again it how they handle the whole thing that got me sour with them)

Nikki, You have every right to be insulted. I have no way to verify this but I suspect that this Honie49 is not really who she claims to be. I looked yesterday she registered recently had but 2 posts. All of a sudden she comes out of the woodwork with this same modus operandi...In defence of this clinic, offend the validity of those who've had serious complications? I think she's more than likely here to follow the typical protocol for discrediting anyone who has legitimate concerns about the facility and doctors in question. If I'm not mistaken the Internet lingo for such a twit is "troll". If indeed that is not the case than she certainly put up a display of ignorance. I wouldn't dignify whomever it is with an argument.

No, I do not think that is the situation at all. It is more likely those who are purposefully posting negative posts who are either fired, disgruntled employees or are associated with other clinics.

I do believe complications happen everywhere. I spoke to a coordinator earlier today who confirmed the above instance of the sister having problems. There are some details that may be questionable - and that is my opinion after hearing the other version of the situation.

There also seems to be alot of people who jump on the band wagon when they don't have first hand knowledge or are extremely passionate about "their" doctor being the best and only choice.

I think I would have been happy with any doctors or clinics; however I chose the one I did and am very satisfied with my care.

But then, most of this is all old news. And the haters for the sake of hating will continue.

Ok, I see what you are saying, but are we to believe that this ONLY happens with doctors or facilities that are out of the country? Does this happen to any U.S. doctors, here in the forums? Surely there are disgruntled employees within the states, people that have been fired or 'wronged'. Lord, we know how bit*hy women can be, if people are prone to post nasty things, it seems it would happen with doctors in Texas, Kansas, NY, Florida....you see what I mean!!

I see what you mean. I think my problem with choosing to go there is that nobody who has posted on their behalf has done a good job of actually disproving that the infections and leak ever happened. Instead they say that those kinds of things are acceptable because ALL doctors have complications. And they further claim that it's all lies, all those posts are made up and lies. And for those we can tell are obviously not lies, they are discrediting the posters saying that one brought her problem on herself and one got fired from her job and is a disgruntled employee, etc.

So they defend by attacking or saying it's okay because everybody else does it. That's just not good enough for me. Not even for a savings of several thousand dollars.

Hi all,

Sorry I have not been on but I am just now getting on the computer to let you all know I had my surgery with Dr. Almanza and well things went well. There were only two sleeve's done that day and one port revision on a band. The nurses were nice and well some of them did not wear gloves but some did. I had to remind myself that I was in another country. They did however wear gloves when they treated my incisions. The recovery houses were absolutely impressive to me, I was expecting something so bad after reading some posts on this website, however that was not the case. They were spotless and they were not very crowded the day I was there. All in all it went good and everything was great. I am now down 10 pounds so far and looking forward to losing more. I want to send a special thank you to all of you that pmed me on the much needed information, the good and the bad. I did want to mention that I did not see Betencourt at all the four days I was there.

Thanks again.

Hi all,

Sorry I have not been on but I am just now getting on the computer to let you all know I had my surgery with Dr. Almanza and well things went well. There were only two sleeve's done that day and one port revision on a band. The nurses were nice and well some of them did not wear gloves but some did. I had to remind myself that I was in another country. They did however wear gloves when they treated my incisions. The recovery houses were absolutely impressive to me, I was expecting something so bad after reading some posts on this website, however that was not the case. They were spotless and they were not very crowded the day I was there. All in all it went good and everything was great. I am now down 10 pounds so far and looking forward to losing more. I want to send a special thank you to all of you that pmed me on the much needed information, the good and the bad. I did want to mention that I did not see Betencourt at all the four days I was there.

Thanks again.

There you are! I asked about you when I saw Melissa on Wednesday! I am so glad you had the surgery and are doing well. And 10 pounds is a great start!

I did talk to Dr. B briefly on Wednesday. My understanding is that he is primarily the business/admin/PR side of the business. They have been busy at their primary location doing some remodeling, adding more bathrooms, etc. He was leaving for the states on Wed. I love the Vida Hospital they are using during the remodel work! I tried to pay special attention to the nurses as well since comments had been made about gloves, etc. It seemed to me that it depended on what they were doing; if they were coming in direct contact with the patient or not.

Did you meet the new dr, Dr. Brenda? She was very attentive and spoke excellent English. She sat around and visited with us also, which was nice. I would have bet that she lived in the US. She speaks with almost no accent at all. She has visited but never lived here.

I was going to pm you tonite to check on you - so glad you posted :blush:!

Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

I see what you mean. I think my problem with choosing to go there is that nobody who has posted on their behalf has done a good job of actually disproving that the infections and leak ever happened. Instead they say that those kinds of things are acceptable because ALL doctors have complications. And they further claim that it's all lies, all those posts are made up and lies. And for those we can tell are obviously not lies, they are discrediting the posters saying that one brought her problem on herself and one got fired from her job and is a disgruntled employee, etc.

So they defend by attacking or saying it's okay because everybody else does it. That's just not good enough for me. Not even for a savings of several thousand dollars.

dang! I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore and let this die out! LOL

NtvTxn: I have posted many times that these things happen in the states as much as anywhere else. You can read every day about a wrong surgery conducted on a wrong part or a complication or a death.

I did specifically ask how many leaks they were aware of. I was told there had been 6 in 4 years. If he has been doing as many surgeries as some people have suggested by "stacking people 10 deep" every day for 52 weeks for 4 years, I would guess that is probably under the average leak risk percentage. Even if he only did one surgery per day, that is less than a 1% chance. I have seen risk percentages of up to 3%.

I have never said that I don't believe there have been zero leaks, infections, etc. I believe there are risks no matter where you go, and just find it frustrating that there has been such negativity shown towards this clinic.

Unlike many others, I have only posted my personal experiences. I have been there twice. All of the locations have been spotless, the care was as good as I have received anywhere else and the staff very compassionate. I have had 9 surgeries and several other procedures in clinics, so have a little experience to pull from.

I believe Shirley was fired for not following company procedures, but you could contact someone there to confirm that. That is my opinion after conversations I had.

BJean, we have exchanged some good private messages and I hope your comments aren't all directed towards me. I have never said "all" to any of the issues you wrote about above. If you look closely, it is also fishy to me that the majority of people complaining about Almanza mainly support one other doctor.

Anyone who has pm'd me asking about my experience can confirm that I provide an overall view of how things went day by day. Those who have asked specifically about the dr and clinic I used received my personal opinion. At the end, I wish people good luck with their research, tell them to weigh everything they hear, see and read, and then make the best decision for them. I have never pushed anyone to use the location I used.

In the states, some people go home within hours of having this surgery. In the US and outside the US, some people stay in the surgery location for one or two nights. Some are then sent to hotels for a couple of nights. The clinic I used sends patients to a recovery house. These are nicely furnished condo type townhouses with 4 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. There is always a nurse there with a Dr available if needed. During my visit this past week, the new Dr. Brenda made visits a few times each day to the recovery house and is at the surgery location at night.

I also still say that my Tummy Tuck was a much more difficult surgery and I was home within an hour of that surgery.

I will post my review of my surgery experience and my second visit this past week on the thread I started titled: Mexico or Bust. Those who have received these privately from me can confirm if I have made any significant changes.

I don't know what else I can say. I am sorry if people misread my posts or my intentions, or read more into them than what I am writing.

If anyone has a question they would like to ask me, please send me a private message. I don't feel that anything is being accomplished in this thread. It seems that no matter what you post, someone turns it around.

Edited by pnw218

Jodoza, great news! I am really glad to hear that you have done well and have had a good experience and we sure do appreciate your post. Hang in there and we'll look forward to hearing from you when you feel like being on your computer again.