Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speak up those with leaks & infections!

pnw218 - my posts were meant to be in a very general nature and not directed at you personally at all. In fact I hoped that you wouldn't think that I was arguing with you!

Your first hand experience is impressive to read and I'm sure everyone is relieved to get this kind of fresh feedback.

Hope you have a safe trip home. I wish I had the time and money to scoot down to Mexico with friends. When do you head back this way?

pnw218 said If you read back, Alex has stated that he has removed people using multiple screen names and were posting unsubstantiated stories.

Shirley, a former coordinator, was fired recently. She apparently used to post on here as a happy Almanza patient and since being fired has been berating the clinic.

This is hearsay isn't it? You have gone to J/E but you are not working for them right you just spend your own money to check out that everything is just roses there.

Do you think the people here at this forum are that gullible?

Enough already! This thread is supposed to be about peoples experiences.........this is not a debate team

pnw218 said If you read back, Alex has stated that he has removed people using multiple screen names and were posting unsubstantiated stories.

Shirley, a former coordinator, was fired recently. She apparently used to post on here as a happy Almanza patient and since being fired has been berating the clinic.

This is hearsay isn't it? You have gone to J/E but you are not working for them right you just spend your own money to check out that everything is just roses there.

Do you think the people here at this forum are that gullible?

My two cents on the Shirley issue, she was a band to sleeve revision and had her sleeve done by Dr Pompa long before she was the main US coordinator for Betancourt/Dr.Almanza. Also she was definitely NOT fired. She QUIT! This is NOT hearsay from my part for sure!

My two cents on the Shirley issue, she was a band to sleeve revision and had her sleeve done by Dr Pompa long before she was the main US coordinator for Betancourt/Dr.Almanza. Also she was definitely NOT fired. She QUIT! This is NOT hearsay from my part for sure!

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gif

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

Thanks Stoongal for the FACTS!!!

Edited by Can.sleeved
remove the advert

I have leak diagnose on 3/17/08 I have stent in stomach and a jp drain. Sugery was 2/10/2010.

Sorry you have this complication and that it has taken this long to discover! Was your surgery done in the US or abroad? I wish you the best of care and a swift recovery.

Donna what you have to say is credible and worthy of paying attention to. Thanks for clarifying. I hope you are well and that your sister is making progress. Please keep us informed. xx

done in US I'm just one 1% leakers

But why did it take so long to discover? How did you end up knowing you had a leak?

AMEN. But don't waste your breath - or your fingers. I am down in TJ for the second time in two months and have been to both of the locations they use. The Jerusalem Clinic and the Vida Hospital. I was a patient during my first visit and this time I am the companion, so I have seen it from both sides.

These are very talented, kind hearted people.

I do not believe in any way that this Dr and clinic have any higher percentage of complications than any where else.

For those who continue to say that any doctor has a perfect record - I hope that one day you will realize just how narrowminded and unrealistic that truly is. I highly doubt that anyone on this board has first hand knowledge of any surgeon's complete record and that every single patient has even checked back in with their doctor once they returned home.

While down here, I have asked specific questions to a variety of people - patients, coordinators and staff. It is pretty interesting to hear "the rest of the story". I do understand that there are two sides and I am not in any way saying that either side is 100% correct. I do believe that there are some aspects being omitted or swung in a particular direction by both sides.

And on both of my trips down here - Dr. Almanza has either postponed or refused to perform a surgery on a prospective patient. The first had cancer that had not been previously disclosed; and was required to have exams by other drs/surgeons before surgery could be done. I did not speak to that patient personally, however they were at the clinic when I was there. The second patient is here now and I have spoken to her and her husband. She had a stroke three weeks ago, this was not disclosed to the dr ahead of time, and he is sending her home without surgery.

It is unfortunate that there is such a vendetta against this dr and clinic.

Hopefully for those who want to use this clinic and doctor, they will feel comfortable to do so. Surgical complications can happen anytime, anyplace and anywhere, in the US or abroad. I truly do not feel this location is any different than anyone else.

HEARSAY!!!

No, I do not think that is the situation at all. It is more likely those who are purposefully posting negative posts who are either fired, disgruntled employees or are associated with other clinics.

I do believe complications happen everywhere. I spoke to a coordinator earlier today who confirmed the above instance of the sister having problems. There are some details that may be questionable - and that is my opinion after hearing the other version of the situation.

There also seems to be alot of people who jump on the band wagon when they don't have first hand knowledge or are extremely passionate about "their" doctor being the best and only choice.

I think I would have been happy with any doctors or clinics; however I chose the one I did and am very satisfied with my care.

But then, most of this is all old news. And the haters for the sake of hating will continue.

HEARSAY!!!

If you read back, Alex has stated that he has removed people using multiple screen names and were posting unsubstantiated stories.

The vendetta is easy, and to me, obvious. It is all about money. We see it with mainstream businesses every day. Someone comes in, charges less and then everyone else hates them. I know people who refuse to shop at Walmart because many of their products supposedly come from sweat shops.

BJean - I am not calling you a liar. You believe what your surgeon told you. If he has truly never had any complications whatsoever, to any degree - then I would be curious to know how many surgeries he has done. If his surgery numbers are low - then based on percentages, his complications could be low. 1% of 100 = 1, 1% of 200 = 2, and so on.

I also love my cosmetic surgeon in the US. He does many surgeries every week. Even tho I had a great experience with him - I would never even expect him to have a perfect record. It just does not seem realistic to me at all.

Unfortunately, no one will ever truly be able to tell who is truthful, who is lying, who is mostly telling the truth but bending it just a bit. Perception of an experience is going to vary by each person, just as each person is very passionate about what they believe; it is true in their mind whether it is true "in the real world" or not.

In the long run, I hope people do lots of research, try to talk personally (like not over the internet but a real voice) to people who have been thru surgery with the clinic or doctor they are checking out, use alot of common sense and not over react to sensationalism.

AGAIN, HEARSAY!

dang! I promised myself I wouldn't post anymore and let this die out! LOL

NtvTxn: I have posted many times that these things happen in the states as much as anywhere else. You can read every day about a wrong surgery conducted on a wrong part or a complication or a death.

I did specifically ask how many leaks they were aware of. I was told there had been 6 in 4 years. If he has been doing as many surgeries as some people have suggested by "stacking people 10 deep" every day for 52 weeks for 4 years, I would guess that is probably under the average leak risk percentage. Even if he only did one surgery per day, that is less than a 1% chance. I have seen risk percentages of up to 3%.

I have never said that I don't believe there have been zero leaks, infections, etc. I believe there are risks no matter where you go, and just find it frustrating that there has been such negativity shown towards this clinic.

Unlike many others, I have only posted my personal experiences. I have been there twice. All of the locations have been spotless, the care was as good as I have received anywhere else and the staff very compassionate. I have had 9 surgeries and several other procedures in clinics, so have a little experience to pull from.

I believe Shirley was fired for not following company procedures, but you could contact someone there to confirm that. That is my opinion after conversations I had.

BJean, we have exchanged some good private messages and I hope your comments aren't all directed towards me. I have never said "all" to any of the issues you wrote about above. If you look closely, it is also fishy to me that the majority of people complaining about Almanza mainly support one other doctor.

Anyone who has pm'd me asking about my experience can confirm that I provide an overall view of how things went day by day. Those who have asked specifically about the dr and clinic I used received my personal opinion. At the end, I wish people good luck with their research, tell them to weigh everything they hear, see and read, and then make the best decision for them. I have never pushed anyone to use the location I used.

In the states, some people go home within hours of having this surgery. In the US and outside the US, some people stay in the surgery location for one or two nights. Some are then sent to hotels for a couple of nights. The clinic I used sends patients to a recovery house. These are nicely furnished condo type townhouses with 4 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. There is always a nurse there with a Dr available if needed. During my visit this past week, the new Dr. Brenda made visits a few times each day to the recovery house and is at the surgery location at night.

I also still say that my Tummy Tuck was a much more difficult surgery and I was home within an hour of that surgery.

I will post my review of my surgery experience and my second visit this past week on the thread I started titled: Mexico or Bust. Those who have received these privately from me can confirm if I have made any significant changes.

I don't know what else I can say. I am sorry if people misread my posts or my intentions, or read more into them than what I am writing.

If anyone has a question they would like to ask me, please send me a private message. I don't feel that anything is being accomplished in this thread. It seems that no matter what you post, someone turns it around.

See highlighed above...

Sorry PNW if this seems a little rude because that's not my nature. But, I'm sick of the fact that you and others seem to think you can come on here and pass on all this great info about what YOU have seen and heard happen to others at this clinic but have the unmitigated AUDACITY to question what others have seen and heard - not to mention what they have personally experienced.

Why aren't your reports relegated to the hearsay files? Why is what YOU say about this place supposed to be gospel? This is the worst kind of hypocrisy and I'm through mincing words. If you expect ANYONE to believe a word of what you have to say about anything then you need to stop acting like other people are lying. At this point, I don't believe anything you say about this place.

I think you are so shortsighted that you would say anything to make YOUR doctor come out smelling like a rose. But why? Why do you care so much if someone questions the care at this facility? Do you own stock or something? I mean geez!!!

You need to get off your highhorse and join the rest of us in reality. How dare you question the details of stoongal's account of what happened to her sister, as if the details change the bare facts of the story. So what's the problem with her story, her timeline is off or something? I imagine that if you're in fear for your loved one's life, maybe the details and sequence get a little off track. Who the freak cares!?? Did you enjoy your little side trip to this clinic in Mexico where you could go and compare stoongal's story with the staff there and try to find holes in her story? If so, then shame on you!

I have no reason to disbelieve stoongal's or anyone else's story. But, if I did, I personally would rather mistakenly offer words of comfort and encouragement to a person who might have posted a false story about complications than to mistakenly criticize a person who posted a real story about complications. The option seems like a no-brainer to me.

YES, complications happen. Yes, bad things happen to good people. More often than not, it's the care a person receives after a complication that determines how they feel about their medical experience. But, since you can't bring yourself to admit that SOME people have had negative post-op experiences with this doctor and that things should have been handled differently with SOME patients, then spare us any more of your fake rosey rosey reports about how great you claim this place is. Your credibility is SHOT at this point!!!

Sorry if this post makes anyone else uncomfortable, but I've just had it up to here with this. Sorry...

done in US I'm just one 1% leakers

I don't know you but I do feel sad that you are going through this trouble. How is your recovery coming along? If you need to talk, vent or whatever we are here for you. Support is what this board is really all about.

I am so heartbroken to hear about your leak, I know that is the greatest fear we all have. I hope you have a great medical team taking care of your needs. What do they have in store for you? I have heard a few different ways leaks are handled and they all seem very rough! I am so very sorry. Please know that if you are hating life or having a rough day, I won't fully understand, but I will listen. Hang in there.

Anna

They it was abnormal to develop so late and it developed where most leaks don't delvelop.

At first my Symptoms mimic the flu then I better until i got really weak and went to the ER

Wow. I am so sorry. You are in my thoughts.