Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight? Or is this typical?

I have 5cc in a 10cc band and I can eat Soups, oysters, some meats, and veggies.

I CANNOT eat breads, rice, some granola bars or chicken breast otherwise I get stuck and have to vomit because the pain in my chest won't go away.

I know some people can't eat breads or rice and dry meats. Is this normal? Am I too tight? Or are these things I just have to give up.

I'm ok either way.

I would say this is normal, although I keep my band relatively loose and can eat just about anything. I avoid rice and bread because of the carbs and the fact that they swell in your upper stomach, but if you can eat some meats (moist, tender) I would say you are fine as long as you're comfortable with it.

Honestly, it's completely up to you. You're not too tight at a dangerous level. Many live like that without issue. It's a question of whether or not you can be happy like that realistically.

If it were me, I'd get a small unfill. The only food I stay away from is dry meat. Anything else I can eat but that is how I want it. My hunger is controlled extremely well and I'm satisfied on very little food. That is the level my doctor wants me at and that is how I'm happy.

If you're unsure what is best for you, I'd ask your doctor.

Best wishes

I have 5cc in a 10cc band and I can eat Soups, oysters, some meats, and veggies.

I CANNOT eat breads, rice, some granola bars or chicken breast otherwise I get stuck and have to vomit because the pain in my chest won't go away.

I know some people can't eat breads or rice and dry meats. Is this normal? Am I too tight? Or are these things I just have to give up.

I'm ok either way.

`

Nothing you describe is "band friendly food" why are you trying to eat rice? It will not help with weight loss, and rice is one food that causes vomiting and severe stuck episodes because it sticks in the pouch, and most importantly it's a white carb.

Most lap banders have a hard time eating dry chicken, chicken has to be moist or it has to be dark meat, you have to stick with food that will not cause vomiting, if you plan on keeping your band for a long time.

There are MANY ways to eat chicken with the band that does not cause vomiting, you can bake it, put it in a crock pot, etc.

All the foods that you mentioned is not really recommended for band eating with a restricted band, aka...bread and chicken breast, etc....if you want to eat those foods, you need to remove saline, and if you want to keep your restriction and lose weight you need to be creative, and eat band friendly food that will not cause you to get stuck and vomit.

`

Nothing you describe is "band friendly food" why are you trying to eat rice? It will not help with weight loss' date=' and rice is one food that causes vomiting and severe stuck episodes because it sticks in the pouch, and most importantly it's a white carb.

Most lap banders have a hard time eating dry chicken, chicken has to be moist or it has to be dark meat, you have to stick with food that will not cause vomiting, if you plan on keeping your band for a long time.

There are MANY ways to eat chicken with the band that does not cause vomiting, you can bake it, put it in a crock pot, etc.

All the foods that you mentioned is not really recommended for band eating with a restricted band, aka...bread and chicken breast, etc....if you want to eat those foods, you need to remove saline, and if you want to keep your restriction and lose weight you need to be creative, and eat band friendly food that will not cause you to get stuck and vomit.[/quote']

I ate them because my doctor said you should be able to eat everything. The objective is not for me not to be able to eat certain foods, but satiety for up to 4 hours - not the kind of "restriction" you are referring to.

Many people on here also eat almost everything.

But again, if I'm not able to eat something, I'm ok with that - but I was wondering what was "normal" for others like me.

I agree, it's pretty much up to you....just experiment over time and find your comfort level, and a level of restriction that helps you achieve your goals. If I paid attention to every post that said you can't do this or you must do that.... I'd be scared to death!! I had some oysters just Sunday... with a crab cake and a few bites of Cajun rice... when I stopped for lunch during my bike ride. Yummy!

I don't have to be tight not to tolerate rice. For some it's easier than for others. I can still eat most things now but rice is usually a no-no even with minimal restriction.

My old band wouldn't tolerate shrimp early on too but with the new band, I don't have any problems eating it. Neither intolerance affected how long I could stave hunger off before needing to eat again, so I put up with the intolerances as they occur, and just avoid those foods henceforth without using them as a yardstick on whether I'm too tight or not.

I ate them because my doctor said you should be able to eat everything. The objective is not for me not to be able to eat certain foods, but satiety for up to 4 hours - not the kind of "restriction" you are referring to.

Many people on here also eat almost everything.

But again, if I'm not able to eat something, I'm ok with that - but I was wondering what was "normal" for others like me.

Exactly! Most people DO eat a variety of food and don't vomit because their bands are not too tight, if you have difficulty eating most foods, this indicate you are too tight, if you are chewing your food well.

My point was some foods are difficult to eat when you reach a certain restriction level, if you can no longer eat the foods that you WANT to EAT, MY POINT WAS remove saline for you to eat them, bread, rice and dry chicken is a NO NO with most people in the green zone, and should be eaten with caution.

But most can eat these same foods if they get creative even in the green zone, for example, if I toast bread I can still eat a little in the green zone, if I eat very moist chicken I can still eat in the green zone, if I eat a very little rice with lots of sauce I can eat it in the green zone...THAT is what I meant by being creative and learning to eat the foods you like that will NOT cause vomiting in the green zone.

Ideally if you want to see the scale move, you should focus on eliminating white carbs, like rice, sugar, bread, flour..

Of course many people eat all foods, I do when I've gotten to my goal weight and maintained, I eat anything I want and balance it out with exercise.

The goal here IS TO PREVENT VOMITING every day with your band which WILL cause complications if you throw up every single day.

I could have avoided your post, but it may be educational for others who care about their band, some here may say that what you are experiencing IS NORMAL, but it's NOT, AND THEY ARE PROBABLY NOT OVER 6 YEARS POST OP, problems don't start to happen until about 5-6 years out.

I am 8 years post op and have seen it all, I just HATE to see newbies eventually lose their bands, I've seen too many lose their bands over the years, from trying to eat too much on a too tight band that causes vomiting, I am here to help, sometimes, it's not what many want to hear.

Some bands can never tolerate those foods. My band is fairly lose and I can't tolerate most salads, the lettuce does not go down easily. I can't eat chicken breast without something to make it less dry. I agree with Nana!

The only foods I can not tolerate is meat pretty much but I have become a vegan. In all reality bread rice and Pasta are not bad for you as some think. I have never got stuck on rice and I am able to eat it in small amounts. There should be no limits on food if you can tolerate them. I try to stay away from junk food and that's only because its not good for you but if your doctor said you can eat these foods then listen to him/her. Up until this year I taught nutrition for lapband patients and there are no foods that are not allowed only some that are not tolerated but that is basically how your band reacts to food and that is it. Everyone will have certain things their bands do not tolerate. When I was in the losing phase I never cheated. Now that I am in the maintenance phase I eat what I want and that includes pasta and rice.

I agree, it's pretty much up to you....just experiment over time and find your comfort level, and a level of restriction that helps you achieve your goals. If I paid attention to every post that said you can't do this or you must do that.... I'd be scared to death!! I had some oysters just Sunday... with a crab cake and a few bites of Cajun rice... when I stopped for lunch during my bike ride. Yummy!

BOOM and i love your comment.....makes 100% sense. (except the crab stuff as i dont do fish :huh: )

BOOM and i love your comment.....makes 100% sense. (except the crab stuff as i dont do fish :huh: )

Umm... Crab isn't fish CG ;)

Umm... Crab isn't fish CG ;)

it isnt? its in the Water right?

no wonder i dont eat fish......i cant figure out WTF it is...

I'm ok either way.

The things that my LB Nurse pointed me to as being too tight where night acid reflux and coughing, the inability to eat certain foods wasn't. I can eat rice with no problem, bread and Pasta are iffy for me, but I tend to minimize all three because processed carbs are my weakness.

You will need to find what you are comfortable with, I am guessing that because of my activity levels, I will want to run a bit looser in the spring and summer, and a bit tighter in the fall and winter.