Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight? Or is this typical?

Old band- new band- why did you get a replacement band?

I got my old 4cc removed , hiatal hernia repair and new AP band placed all in one surgery, because I either developed a hiatal hernia or it was never fixed when I got my first band 8 years ago...surgeons were not routinely repairing hernia's until they figured out they can contribute to pouch dilation's and reflux, etc...

New band is working fine so far...no pain, reflux I am almost 1 year out with the new band...

As long as I don't eat too late I don't have problems at night. If I do it's about 4am and drainage starts pooling at the back of my throat. GROSS! I just wake up, sit up, try and wait for a little bit before thinking, another night with the band, and go back to sleep.< /p>

Yea...I've had that too, you may have a hiatal hernia too...it can cause reflux with the band, I had to get an EGD to find the hernia..it did not show up on Upper Gi....If you have the AP band they can go in a repair the hernia without removing the band...but if you have the older bands...they are not that easy to unbuckle without destroying the entire lap band system...

I went in to get a hernia repaired...NOT TO MOVE MY OLD 4CC BAND...but they are harder and does not unbuckle well without destroying the entire lap band system..so my new surgeon just replaced my old band with a new AP band.

Mine hasn't been bad enough for me to seek out medical help yet. As long as I don't eat after 9pm I'm okay. If it gets worse or I have other symptoms I'll definitely go in though. Thanks for the tip.

I'm so glad I didn't read any of this before I had surgery... All that was said is extremely terrifying to a new person. I am a nurse I know statistics, but those that were posted were extremely negative and really would have changed my min before surgery... A few of you just make it sound like a long term life with the band is a nightmare... Scary for a newcomer... Gratefully I'm intelligent enough to just ignore the ignorance that is out here because its downright terrifying.

I'm so glad I didn't read any of this before I had surgery... All that was said is extremely terrifying to a new person. I am a nurse I know statistics, but those that were posted were extremely negative and really would have changed my min before surgery... A few of you just make it sound like a long term life with the band is a nightmare... Scary for a newcomer... Gratefully I'm intelligent enough to just ignore the ignorance that is out here because its downright terrifying.

What's terrifying? If someone stays in the green zone, chew their food well, and follow band rules, there is nothing terrifying about the lap band...problem IS...people don't do what they are suppose to do...which CAN cause terrifying side effects...

Most people don't have any problems with the band as long as it's not too tight...and live happily ever after...however, if you live in a bubble and think that you will NEVER have any side effects from weight loss surgery, whether it be lap band, Sleeve, RNY or whatever...and if you are a nurse, I really feel sorry for you...side effects COME WITH THE TERRITORY of ANY weight loss surgery...actually the lap band has the least side effects of any weight surgery if is done correctly...and the patient chew their food well and avoid vomiting...

You are in a bubble, if you actually think that you will be "side effect" FREE forever...

I have a brand new AP lap band I've had it now almost a year, I CURRENTLY HAVE NO SIDE EFFECTS...but again I've lived with my old band for over 7 years....and I've been there and done that and just because things are rosey posey right NOW...does not mean things will be rosey posey in the next 7 years...I am keeping it real...but having the band to keep my weight down outweighed the risks...

Also, if the band was THAT terrible, I would not have gotten a new one...

Wow nana you are a wench, thank god I never came to you for advise. I see what many people on here are saying about you. However I am a nurse, an er nurse actually. AND I'm in my masters for my nurse practitioner so sweetheart I don't live in a bubble. I realize there are possible complications to everything related to medicine and surgery. I get this. As most benefits seem to out weigh the risks when we decide to do this. I simply was pointing out that the stats posted are high in complications and to someone who isn't in the medical field or doesn't know anything about stats, they are extremely high stats to complications rates. It's scary for the lay person. I realize you've had your band forever and a day but really get off of your pedestal, no one wants to hear your rude comments. I know people who don't so any of what you preach and have their band safely in them without problems. You all too often jump to "you'll definitely lose your band" to anyone who does something that your opinion disagrees with. Do me a favor and please refrain from commenting on any of my questions or posts because you're ignorant and I don't have time for it. Thanks! Glad I don't know you in life. Have a nice day!

Wow nana you are a wench, thank god I never came to you for advise. I see what many people on here are saying about you. However I am a nurse, an er nurse actually. AND I'm in my masters for my nurse practitioner so sweetheart I don't live in a bubble. I realize there are possible complications to everything related to medicine and surgery. I get this. As most benefits seem to out weigh the risks when we decide to do this. I simply was pointing out that the stats posted are high in complications and to someone who isn't in the medical field or doesn't know anything about stats, they are extremely high stats to complications rates. It's scary for the lay person. I realize you've had your band forever and a day but really get off of your pedestal, no one wants to hear your rude comments. I know people who don't so any of what you preach and have their band safely in them without problems. You all too often jump to "you'll definitely lose your band" to anyone who does something that your opinion disagrees with. Do me a favor and please refrain from commenting on any of my questions or posts because you're ignorant and I don't have time for it. Thanks! Glad I don't know you in life. Have a nice day!

I don't think most software engineers that have degrees in computer science are stupid and ignorant...and can you refrain from calling people wenches....I could call you some ugly names ..but I will be play nice.

It shows what your intelligent level is by not REALLY wanting to KNOW the FACTS about the lap band and how to avoid any issues...or how to manage issues...

Stats don't lie and I am not going to lie either...apparently you have NOT done your research AS a MEDICAL professional to know that the lap band HAS A VERY HIGH LONG TERM complication rate...most of the issues are not that serious but many of the problems warrant surgery or band removal......

I can't believe you as a medical professional would not want to KNOW what you are getting into and would NOT want to know what COULD possibly happen... and I hate to say that complications USUALLY happen to those who are NOT educated on HOW TO AVOID THEM...

And by the way...no more preaching and help from me on this subject...

Peace out...no more warnings from me.... :)

If we could only have believed you.....

I only speak the truth......and I guess you can call me a lap band expert...

Not what I was thinking of...but oh well.

If we could only have believed you.....

When this topic die out...no more warnings...it seems like ignorance keep it going...I constantly get alerted on the topic...so as long as ignorance keep it hot...I guess I will keep educating... :P

I don't think most software engineers that have degrees in computer science are stupid and ignorant...and can you refrain from calling people wenches....I could call you some ugly names ..but I will be play nice.

It shows what your intelligent level is by not REALLY wanting to KNOW the FACTS about the lap band and how to avoid any issues...or how to manage issues...

Stats don't lie and I am not going to lie either...apparently you have NOT done your research AS a MEDICAL professional to know that the lap band HAS A VERY HIGH LONG TERM complication rate...most of the issues are not that serious but many of the problems warrant surgery or band removal......

I can't believe you as a medical professional would not want to KNOW what you are getting into and would NOT want to know what COULD possibly happen... and I hate to say that complications USUALLY happen to those who are NOT educated on HOW TO AVOID THEM...

Ooo sweet sweet nana...

I didn't say anyone was unintelligent or stupid. I was just pointing out those statistics are relatively high. When the group was what like 300 people out of how many banded! But yet again you spew your ignorance. You do not know how much research I did or didn't do. You assume because I point out how terrifying a statistic is that I am uneducated. Yet you speak from a very uneducated place majority of the time. As for calling you a wench, well I the shoe fits. The TRUTH hurts, isn't that what you say? Anyways, I am well rounded and informed in what the complications are and are not. I unlike you choose the positive road though. I am not naive about these negative things but when people post on here they are looking for encouragement not people throwing in their faces the high complication rate nor constant negativity. I do realize that at some point I will have to part with my lap band and in fact have come to terms with that. Again I ask for you to refrain from responding to anything I say because I don't need your negativity or ignorance. In addition to that, I don't care what you have to say. I believe we'e all be a lot better if you just keep your mouth shut. I think you just like to "hear yourself talk" so to speak. in this case "read your own words." Start a journal!

You know' date=' it's sad this thread has gone so off the rails. Not because it's been hijacked by bickering but because the people bickering actually have the same message to share but because of differences in delivery and perception it's turned into a pissing match. It's like one is saying "the sky is powder blue!" and the other is screaming "No it's not! That's cornflower blue!" Isn't the sky still freak'n blue regardless?

What's even sadder is, that message is spot on but it's being lost in semantics.

*sighs*[/quote']

Mis73, that's why I like and respect you so much.

Ah...another newbie AGREEING with a poster that says she can't eat meat' date=' but I wonder if HER SURGEON knows she can't eat meat?

Let's see...over on OH, there is a FAILED LAP BAND board -- with over 1000 lap banders, many whom have already revised to the Sleeve and Bypass, and no longer can get rebanded after removal, due to either esophageal damage, or slippage AFTER about 3-6 years post op.

Their biggest complaint before the band damaged their bodies or slipped? "they never could eat meat", but refused to get saline removed until it way way too late.

So sure, everyone experiences will be different depending on how much saline is in their bands and how tight they are.

Good luck![/quote']

Nana

You were once a NEWBIE too. What's your problem? Get over it already.

Nana

You were once a NEWBIE too. What's your problem? Get over it already.

Love it :-)

Ooo sweet sweet nana...

I didn't say anyone was unintelligent or stupid. I was just pointing out those statistics are relatively high. When the group was what like 300 people out of how many banded! But yet again you spew your ignorance. You do not know how much research I did or didn't do. You assume because I point out how terrifying a statistic is that I am uneducated. Yet you speak from a very uneducated place majority of the time. As for calling you a wench, well I the shoe fits. The TRUTH hurts, isn't that what you say? Anyways, I am well rounded and informed in what the complications are and are not. I unlike you choose the positive road though. I am not naive about these negative things but when people post on here they are looking for encouragement not people throwing in their faces the high complication rate nor constant negativity. I do realize that at some point I will have to part with my lap band and in fact have come to terms with that. Again I ask for you to refrain from responding to anything I say because I don't need your negativity or ignorance. In addition to that, I don't care what you have to say. I believe we'e all be a lot better if you just keep your mouth shut. I think you just like to "hear yourself talk" so to speak. in this case "read your own words." Start a journal!

Can you do me a favor...please use the enter key when typing out long winded posts of nonsense....and please get someone to upload your avatar correctly...it's rather annoying...