Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too tight? Or is this typical?

I agree. Sorry I get quite heated when one pulls the "race card"

As in my original post' date=' the stats are scary. Furthermore outdated. Thank you Mis for posting some newer ones.[/quote']

Lol it's okay I don't like the "race card" either...not saying I saw it used because I was too lazy to look through the comments that started off with bickering lol but we all get told different things by our surgeons and by our nutritionists. All we can do is tell our experiences we have been through and let people pick through our stories to see what fits them best :-) no fussing needed.

I agree. Sorry I get quite heated when one pulls the "race card"

As in my original post' date=' the stats are scary. Furthermore outdated. Thank you Mis for posting some newer ones.[/quote']

Also I'm too scared to read the stats.....I'm a respiratory therapist so I know about aspiration and things like that so I get the gist of it and don want to know much more than I already know and if something comes about ill ask but as of looking at statistics I just like to see success stories :-)

Also I'm too scared to read the stats.....I'm a respiratory therapist so I know about aspiration and things like that so I get the gist of it and don want to know much more than I already know and if something comes about ill ask but as of looking at statistics I just like to see success stories :-)

Exactly, being medical we are ALL too aware of the stats... We see the negative and that's enough for me. Love the positive success stories...

FYI I still wont eat fish.....

just thought i'd throw that little tidbit in

I'm so glad I didn't read any of this before I had surgery... All that was said is extremely terrifying to a new person. I am a nurse I know statistics, but those that were posted were extremely negative and really would have changed my min before surgery... A few of you just make it sound like a long term life with the band is a nightmare... Scary for a newcomer... Gratefully I'm intelligent enough to just ignore the ignorance that is out here because its downright terrifying.

You wish you wouldn't have known about studies that might have educated you because they would have scared you out of getting banded? I guess constantly keeping your head in the sand is a viable way of living your life. The point isn't to scare people but to give them knowledge that will help them realize that this is a serious surgery and it takes serious commitment. If you don't like when we post statistics that don't agree with your view or perhaps scare you, I recommend putting your fingers in your ears and humming a nice tune like Row Row Row Your Boat while you skip them.

You wish you wouldn't have known about studies that might have educated you because they would have scared you out of getting banded? I guess constantly keeping your head in the sand is a viable way of living your life. The point isn't to scare people but to give them knowledge that will help them realize that this is a serious surgery and it takes serious commitment. If you don't like when we post statistics that don't agree with your view or perhaps scare you' date=' I recommend putting your fingers in your ears and humming a nice tune like Row Row Row Your Boat while you skip them.[/quote']

I think tho subject has been beaten dead. If you read on you'd see that I am properly educated. I see the "bad stats" at work. I don't need to read about them. I live it when I care for those patients. It was more if the lay person saw this it could scare them. When those stats were outdated and like 300 people studies... None the less... I'm well aware what can happen

I think tho subject has been beaten dead. If you read on you'd see that I am properly educated. I see the "bad stats" at work. I don't need to read about them. I live it when I care for those patients. It was more if the lay person saw this it could scare them. When those stats were outdated and like 300 people studies... None the less... I'm well aware what can happen

So if those stats are old and you're 'well aware what can happen' then where are your new stats? Like I said before, I was the only person to provide ANY statistics so if you don't like it then get your own. Also, if the subject has been beaten dead then stop replying to this thread.

So if those stats are old and you're 'well aware what can happen' then where are your new stats? Like I said before' date=' I was the only person to provide ANY statistics so if you don't like it then get your own. Also, if the subject has been beaten dead then stop replying to this thread.[/quote']

I don't care about who provides what stats. If I want to read medical journals and research I would. I don't. I choose to trust in myself along with my surgeon to provide the best outcome for me with this Lapband. These boards are getting a lil too serious for me. It's like a pissing contest whose s*** is bigger. I came here for support and help. Not to listen to people rain on the parade so the speak. I choose to look at the positive because that out weighs the bad at this point. I'm not trying to preach my word or claim I know everything about this, because I don't I'm beginning to regret ever posting my opinion on the "scary" side of the "stats". I can assure you when going over my pros and cons with my surgeon stats were never that high. Otherwise I'd be an idiot who was on perfect health (with the exception of needing to lose about 70lbs) to willingly choose something that will cause me more headache in the long run if you n nana are accurate. That is why I keep to the advice on that stuff to the professionals. The people who actually care about the medical journals and research that can understand them and appreciate them, the surgeons. Call me naive? Say I'm living in a bubble but why should I care or worry about the stats or negatives that could happen if they haven't and aren't happening right now. It would be the same as worrying that every time I cross the street a bus will hit me... Useless and a waste of my time. If something neg happens ill approach that and cross that road when or if it happens... Until then ill live in my so called "bubble" and I bet ill be just fine :-)

I'm going to regret this, but I feel the need to chime in here.

It is actually VERY important to know the statistics and risks before surgery. In fact, one of the biggest reasons we see so many failures is because people went into this surgery totally clueless. I hope the statistics showing a whopping 60% complication rate for people who aren't compliant with the rules and their doctor does scare the living crap out of everyone that reads it. Sometimes, a healthy dose of fear is exactly what people need to keep themselves in check and take this as seriously as it should be.

Ignorance isn't bliss, especially when it comes to something as serious as surgery. Everyone should go into this educated about all aspects of the Lap Band- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

It is actually VERY important to know the statistics and risks before surgery. In fact, one of the biggest reasons we see so many failures is because people went into this surgery totally clueless. I hope the statistics showing a whopping 60% complication rate for people who aren't compliant with the rules and their doctor does scare the living crap out of everyone that reads it. Sometimes, a healthy dose of fear is exactly what people need to keep themselves in check and take this as seriously as it should be.

Ignorance isn't bliss, especially when it comes to something as serious as surgery. Everyone should go into this educated about all aspects of the Lap Band- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Hear, hear.

Amen ..sister...and let that be the last word...

I agree. Hazel bliss is in the same category!

Oh Heccat....I'll pray for you (remember that line, let's see if it works on you)

I'm going to regret this' date=' but I feel the need to chime in here.

Ignorance isn't bliss, especially when it comes to something as serious as surgery. Everyone should go into this educated about all aspects of the Lap Band- the good, the bad, and the ugly.[/quote']

And I did 1000% I just choose not to focus on it... I weighed my options and made my educated choice. I'll continue to focus on the positive of my experience. I don't and won't let the stats of 300 people scare me from living my life and being happy. Eating Pasta, bread, rice, meat, popcorn, vegis whatever I want will not automatically turn into "losing the band". This is not rocket science it's trial and error. I'm not going to fear food like some make it seem like I should. I embrace my life and the positive of it.