Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do your other doctors feel about you tting the lapband?

I wondered what the response has been from your 'other' Drs.,when they Lund out you had often the lapband? I am sill in the 'contemplating' stage.

I apologize for my typing and spelling. It is this ipad! Yikes! I need to proof read I guess. I am wondering what your other doctors opinions are of you receiving the lapband.

my other dr (i am guessing you mean my ob/gyn/dentist etc) they think its outstanding

and my reg PCD played a major part in helping me getting the band/plication in the first place

and she is happy with the progress i have me so far...i think i answered your thread right, if not, sorry

It was my PCP who started me down the road to WLS. She wanted me to get a bypass because I needed to lose more than 100 lbs. She was not happy that I went with the lapband but now, 70 lbs. down in 6 months, she's finally admitting I went the correct route for me.

The only other health care folks who know about the surgery is my sports medicine doctor and the physical therapists from the same office. I'm being treated for severe arthritis and of course they are so on board with this because losing weight will help me have a good outcome when I get the knee replaced.

my pcp did not want me to get the lapband. she thought I could do it by myself. I've been trying for 10 years to do it and I don't regret my choice to be banded.

My pcp was all for my wls , I have asthma, hypertension and arthritis. This should help all 3!

My PCP, Cardiologist, and ObGyn were very supportive and excited about me getting the lap-band.

~~~Stephanie

Although I have told all the practitioners I have come across, no one has commented on it. The only person who has was at my cosmetic surgery consult. She does the financing and was just completely interested in learning more (she was not in need of one herself). I have also found myself educating other medical professionals on what exactly the lapband was. It's really fun to get xrays and the techs freak out because there's something unusual in the abdominal cavity and they think it's acute ahahaha..nope..thats the lapband. :P

My lung doctor set up my appointment to learn about the band and said to me, you are getting this. I never looked back and never asked a million questions. All my doctors are very pleased with me.

my pcp was against it , but he retired so i have a knew one... she was iffy cuz being honest for my weight i had no underlying issues i'm very healthy....and my dr. did make sense when i had discussed this or gastric why would i want to okay something that "could" make you unhealthy if i fed you bread and Water and you were in prison you would lose weight ...i was like really? okay he is thin so he just doesnt get it..... I was excited when he retired and i had a "woman" pcp who said I will authorize it :)

Originally, when I told my PCP that I was considering LapBand Surgery, he tried to talk me out of it. At that point I had pretty much made up my mind, done the research and met with the surgeon.

When I went Back to the PCP the next time, he asked if I'd ever thought of having LapBand Surgery. lol. Once he understood that was the direction I was going, he was supportive.

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with the PCP. He hasn't seen me since before surgery. It's time for labs and med. adjustments. It will be interesting to hear what he says.

I feel that if my old pcp was still my pcp he would be thrilled.. everytime i would see him he would say "Jen we should talk about this" and i would say " no .. just one more time on my own" no matter what i was in for.. my new pcp (because my old one closed his practice for a better opportunity) told me AFTER i went to the seminar and initial consult with my surgeon .. he said " well i don't really push wls but since you were discussing this with dr. headly i will support you" i would like to run into my old pcp one day to let him know.. i think he would be happy with my decision.

My pcp was helpful with documentation regarding my previous attempts to lose weight; but she also knew me before I gained a lot of weight. She thought I could do it on my own, and wasn't sure that banding was a good idea for anyone, based upon researching she did for other patients. She encouraged me to lose the weight and didn't stand in my way. Shortly after I had surgery, she retired. I don't think she's even seen me since I've lost weight.

My PCP was very supportive, esp since she knows I've had some fertility challenges (haven't had my annual w gyno yet this year). I'm so glad she was since I needed her referral to see my surgeon back in Jan and then I needed her to submit a letter of medical necessity to my insurance co. I don't have any comorbidity issues but she and I were able to have a frank convo abt my hunch that was due to my age and if I was 20 yrs older I would be in rough shape.