Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do for a sugar craving

Okay So I'm not banded yet have three weeks to go and all my head keeps saying is I need sugar. I know the band is a tool for my stomach... how do you all get over the mind asking for sugar?

I do not crave a lot of sugar but sometimes I want something a little sweet. So I start with some zero calorie Vitamin Water ( I keep a few flavors in the refer)this usually works for me. If not then I will have a snack, usually special K chips with laughing cow cheese or hummus that always works. I did not get the sugar high but really I do not need it I think my mind plays tricks on me lol You will find what works for you, one more thing when we go out for dinner and my husband has dessert I will sometimes take one bite and that satisfies me. hugs

When I got the band filled enough my mind stop talking to me about sweets and eating all the time. I like Snapple, sf Jello, sf pudding.< /p>

​Sugar Free Popsicles are great. Also the SF fudgicles. I like Edy's sf popsicles the best, the fruit ones, they have a little more calories but are super.

I still get cravings for sweets unfortunately but honestly I think I need another fill eventhough I just had one a week ago. Anyway, I second the sugar free popsicles, they are good, and you can always get sugar free pudding as well. Also, healthyindulgences.net has some recipes to make sugar free Desserts, I've made the cadbury eggs and they turned out really good.

The only thing that really works for me is too ride it out and drink a lot of Water. Usually if you don't eat sugar you wont crave it. Doesn't mean you cant occasionally eventually have a little here and there. Best of luck to you!

I'm with 2012 I still crave it and need another fill and when I can't stand it any longer I will eat a skinny cow packet of chocolate but my go to most of the time is crystal light hard candy, its really yummy and sweet and fruity. Also Walgreens has a brand that is sugar free that I like that is fruity.

If I crave something sweet, I usually have a chocolate or caramel Calcium chew. Always does the job!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I don't have a list of things I CAN'T have. I think that helps limit/eliminate my cravings. If my head is telling me I'm craving something, I'll eat it. ( I'm 3 1/2 years banded. )

For example, yesterday I attended a 4 year olds birthday party. Pre-band, pre good restriction, I would have eaten half a cake...and I'm not exaggerating. I've done it way too many times in the past. Yesterday, I had a cupcake, and was very satisfied. Not that I really wanted or craved that cupcake, but just to participate in the NORMAL birthday party. Was it good for me? Was it healthy? YES, I think it was...To be able to enjoy such a small/NORMAL amount.

Okay So I'm not banded yet have three weeks to go and all my head keeps saying is I need sugar. I know the band is a tool for my stomach... how do you all get over the mind asking for sugar?

Could it be that you are craving this because you are thinking you will have to avoid sugar post-band? Kind of like a food funeral? I know prior to getting banded I ate a lot of sweets--out of nervousness over what I was getting into, as well as just thinking "OMG I'll never be able to eat these again?" (Crazy, I know.)

I didn't fight it because that last thing I wanted to be doing before getting my lapband was indulging in my old diet mentality--swapping something that I perceived as "light" for what I really wanted.

I don't have a list of things I CAN'T have. I think that helps limit/eliminate my cravings. If my head is telling me I'm craving something, I'll eat it. ( I'm 3 1/2 years banded. )

For example, yesterday I attended a 4 year olds birthday party. Pre-band, pre good restriction, I would have eaten half a cake...and I'm not exaggerating. I've done it way too many times in the past. Yesterday, I had a cupcake, and was very satisfied. Not that I really wanted or craved that cupcake, but just to participate in the NORMAL birthday party. Was it good for me? Was it healthy? YES, I think it was...To be able to enjoy such a small/NORMAL amount.

Amen! I love that too. Enjoying "normal" things that "normal" people take for granted. Like eating just 1 cookie, 1 cupcake, 1 pc of pizza, 1/2 sandwich. I'm not a perfect bander, far from perfect dieter, but I enjoy being "normal" occasionally. I also give in to my cravings. When you try to eat around them (like you're craving chocolate. You eat an apple trying to get rid of the cravings. Doesn't work. Then you eat a PBJ. Nothing. Then SF pudding. Still craving chocolate. If you have the chocolate first, you avoid all the extra calories by trying to stall the inevitable). I keep a bag of Jolly Ranchers on my bedside stand and suck on a few while watching tv at nite.

And thank God whoever created Skinny Cow stuff. Their mint ice cream sandwiches are out of this world and 150 calories

Marci

I use sugar free Jello or sugar free popsickles I also have found a Protein Bar called the kind bar which have different flavors my 2 favorites r dark chocjolate nuts & sea salt & coconut with nuts this one taste just like a almond joy bar without the chocolate yum also nonfat or sugar free frozen yougurt is the best or simply natural fruit or melons yum it helps with the sweet craving for sure just make sure you can eat this stuff when your can and chew really well , ask your doctor for the band diet papers it will help you know when you can , good luck.

It depends if you are a sugar addict. Sugar addiction is very real and if you are then you can't have just one post band. I avoid all sugars or anything sweet even if its sugar free because that just starts a downward spiral. I also do not eat starchy carbs they are also a trigger. I dont feel that I am being deprived I feel like I have control over my addiction which is sugar.

I'm so happy to say that my cravings are really minimal with the right amount of Fluid in my band. Today I let myself eat ice cream for my baby's birthday. I stay on track with little trouble all week and most of the weekend. Love the green zone, could not have done this by myself.