Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band risks seem like 100% failure in my research

Hello my name is Frankie and I have my first consult this April 11th. I have been educating myself about the lap band and all I ever find Is negative remarks about the lap band like the risks of getting the band like erosion and infection and band failure the things I read make it seem like this is something that happens 99.9999% of the time now I'm having second thoughts and I was all gun ho about getting my band I'm so frustrated I could cry honestly.

Not sure where you are getting your statistic of 99%, but I'm sure that your estimation is VERY high. Be careful where you are getting information from. Ask your doctor for his complication rate, and don't make a generalization like you just did. We bandsters tend to be quite protective of our band and you are setting yourself up for some major response.

Yes, there are risks of complications , but there are also risks associated with morbid obesity. I know what I choose.

I think that it depends on where you get your information from. I could find negative on anything if I looked.

With any surgery there are risks and complications. It is up to you whether the potential risks are worth the rewards.

If you look through the many postings on this sight you will see the difference the band has made in many people's lives. To all of us that have received the band, we have decided that it was worth the risk. If I were to have a problem tomorrow(knock on wood)I would still not regret the decision I made. It was right for me at the time.

It's up to you! Is it worth it?!!

If this is failure then I'm loving it!! You going to hear more about failures then successes because all of the successful people are off enjoying their life. There are legitimate failures caused by complications then there are people who need to have something to blame for their inability to follow directions and work with the Band properly. I am not going to sit here and sell you on the band as you need to make your own decision but I will say that I feel the band saved my life but it is merely a tool. It will not do the work for you and you need to have discipline and more importantly you need to be honest with yourself when it comes to working with it.

I personally do not put a lot of stock in reports and statistics and that is because no one person is the same.

I don't know where you're researching but you've obviously not been reading facts. The fact is, only 5% of Lap Band patients end up with serious complications by no fault of their own. Here are actual studies that prove it:

http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/statmain.html

http://www.futurity.org/health-medicine/weight-stays-off-long-after-lap-band-surgery/

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but studies show that gastric banding is the safest of weight loss surgeries. Of course there is always a statistical risk of complications, including death, but it is minimal. I was very careful about researching this option and determined that for me it was a calculated risk. For most of us, compared to the numerous medical problems we had/faced (hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, infertility, etc., etc.) getting banded was a no-brainer. I encourage you to read the success stories and listen to medical professionals to balance out all the naysayers. For most of us, our only regret is that we waited so long!

BTW if you are getting band opinions from obesityhelp.com then that is half your problem right there....Lot's of anti-banders on there just dying to share propaganda.

Yeah I agree good thing you came to this site so you can see all ur successes. I have lost 95.2 as of yesterday. I still have more to go but I AM a success.

Helen before.JPG

Best of luck to you.

Hi,

The band is a tool and you and your tool have to work together. I know a few people who had the by pass and gained back all their weight within 10 years because they stopped using that tool. Failure happens every where, marriage, jobs etc. The band was the best tool I have decided to work with. Most diets fail and that is why most people have WLS. I wish you luck with your decision.

Im with Jim on this one...if this is what falure feels like bring it on....Im 54 and feel better then I can ever remember...I do more then I did 20 yrs ago....I still enjoy food...I just dont inhale it...LOL

I have never been happier with my band!!!! I read a lot of negative before also. Mostly it was a 40% fail rate, but most of those statistics are from people who didn't follow the doctors orders!! There are risks involved, but if you consider what being morbidly obese, the risks are much less!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION!

Alot of the times people who are having trouble are the ones posting...those who are good have no issues to post about!! Think about it for a minute

Very true GEESER

Hi Frankie,

I'm very glad you came and posted your concern today. Afterall this is supposed to be a supportive environment to do just that.

i am someone that is happy i got my band. Before i was banded, I, like you, had concerns and was considering cancelling my operation.

Reason being, i saw people that were banded for a few years that hadnt lost any weight. i didnt want to have an operation if that was going to be my result.

I also saw people that were successful. in reading further... the people that didnt lose weight talked about dairy queen, margarita's, etc alot.

The group that lost weight talked about journalling their food daily, exercise and problems they had but looked for solutions.

in 2007, there weren't alot of issues with erosion, etc since the band was fairly new.

in my journey i did have to work to get the correct restriction. when i "fell off the wagon", i went back to basics and journalled, exercised and got back on track.

What i like about the band is that my basic physiology has not been changed. (no re-routing of digestive system, etc) If i wanted to, i could have it taken out (i dont plan on it). I recently went to the doctor for my yearly check up and asked about the vertical sleeve and he recommended i stay with the band. When the sleeve came out it seemed like the "panacea" of weight loss surgery. This is so new so we dont know what is happening down the road with that and i'm starting to see it has issues as well.

i dont have any fill but still have restriction. i have the old 4cc band.

i suggest you keep researching all options till you feel comfortable with your choice.

I would get the band again.... i feel like i'm reborn.

good luck in whatever you decide.

josie

I agree with all the above.

No matter what WLS you choose, it takes following your Drs plans, or facing failure.

My sister had Gastric bypass, lost a lot of weight and now years later has gained it all back.

I choose LBS b/c of being able to reverse it, if there's any problems.

You have a lot of ppl failing the band b/c they could not fix their head.

My advice, learn all you can , talk with a surgeon, get facts from the manufacturers. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I'm 56yo, LBS saved my life.